Author Topic: 20-inch tyres for commuting  (Read 699 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
20-inch tyres for commuting
« on: 05 October, 2021, 09:08:19 am »
The new e-folder came with crappy Kenda tyres fitted and I’m looking to upgrade. Any recommendations?

The size is marked as 20 x 1.75 - no ISO marking but I think that’s 47-406, isn’t it?

Marathon Plus would be the obvious choice - if I can find anywhere that has them in stock. Given the difficulty involved in removing the front wheel due to the motor, avoiding punctures is a fairly high priority.

Schwalbe Road Cruiser look like an interesting cheaper alternative. Anyone have any experience of these?

What about Michelin City’J? They’re very cheap - are they going to be any better than the ones I’ve already got?

Big Apples seem to start at 50, which might be slightly too big, clearance wise.

Any other suggestions welcome.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: 20-inch tyres for commuting
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2021, 09:55:39 am »
Probably not much help, as it is now a bit historic, but I used to use Big Apple on my folding commute, on my single speed folder. I suspect that the e-folder will have different usage characteristics, and the tyres may have moved on. Possibly, my preference for running high pressure on the rear tyre may carry over to the e-bike? The one thing that WAS important was to avoid a fight with the bead, as I had enough problems with the rear anyhow, which ruled out M+ for me.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2021, 11:03:01 am »
I've noticed that some tyres are rated "E25", which indicates suitability for e-bike use (ie EAPC, up to 25kmh). No idea what it means in practice, whether it's really that important, or what makes them especially suitable for e-bike use.

Anyway, Big Apples do have the E25 designation. And SJS list them at the 50-406 size - I think I might be prepared to risk this size on my bike, looks like it might just have enough clearance, but of course they're not in stock right now...

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2021, 01:49:08 pm »
Continental contact urban in 42-406 might be a good option

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2021, 01:54:05 pm »
Thanks, they do look like a good option. I'll add them to the shortlist. (Again, looks like finding them in stock anywhere could be an issue.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2021, 01:55:14 pm »
If it comes to it, I've probably got a couple of lightly-used Marathon Plus in 35-406 or so in the cupboard.  Barakta had them on the trike before swapping the front wheels to Big Apples for a less harsh ride.  (We kept one on the motor wheel, because it's a bit of a mission to remove.)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2021, 02:10:52 pm »
Marathons (the standard ones) are pretty sturdy, and will be slightly less evil to fit than the M+. Shame they discontinued the Marathon Supreme in 42-406, those are fast and comfy and tough (defiinitely not cheap).