Author Topic: Cables Concealed in Bar/Stem?  (Read 1769 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Cables Concealed in Bar/Stem?
« on: 24 October, 2021, 08:58:04 pm »
I like the look of bikes with no visible cables around the handlebars, like the Cervelo Caledonia 5 and the Scott Addict 10. But I'm worried that getting the handlebars off or making adjustments will be very difficult. Specifically I've entered an audax in Sweden next summer and I'll need to fly with the bike in a bike bag, which normally means taking the handlebars off. Is this a big deal with the cables in the stem? I can't find anything on line describing how these things are set up.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Cables Concealed in Bar/Stem?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2021, 09:10:49 pm »
This is a real problem. There are several concealed cable systems, most of which are not designed for partial disassembly for travel. Several current bike hardcases are designed to avoid moving the handlebars at all. Expensive, heavy and big!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2021, 09:29:50 pm »
The solution on a bike I had delivered recently was to remove the handlebars, leaving all cables and levers in place, and zip tie them to the stem & top tube, with some padding. The wheels were in place, so the box was large (approx 210x110x22 cm).

You do of course need a stem with a removable clamp plate, and the cables were regular under the bar tape entering the frame around the top of the down tube.
With cables treaded down through the stem, I doubt you'd get better than just turning the bars parallel with the frame.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2021, 09:56:08 pm »
The solution on a bike I had delivered recently was to remove the handlebars, leaving all cables and levers in place, and zip tie them to the stem & top tube, with some padding. The wheels were in place, so the box was large (approx 210x110x22 cm).

You do of course need a stem with a removable clamp plate, and the cables were regular under the bar tape entering the frame around the top of the down tube.
With cables treaded down through the stem, I doubt you'd get better than just turning the bars parallel with the frame.

This is what I did when I flew with my bike with the cables under the bar tape (but not integrated into the stem). I just undid the front faceplate of the stem, and attached the loose bar to the frame with cable ties. I wouldn't say it's a massive faff, and it's a small price to pay for clean cables at the front.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:03:56 pm »
The OP might be talking about fully concealed cables, through the bars, stem and (with some systems) the headset. There is little or no movement available without re-cabling/ re-hosing.

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-addict-10-carbon-black-bike

https://www.cervelo.com/en/caledonia-5
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:08:03 pm »
I’d only contemplate this if my gears were Di2 or wireless or on the downtube or fixed.

Though that still leaves the brakes. You might be able to include a bit of slack by hiding extra length in the frame tubes, especially if hydraulic. You might still need a disconnect of some kind for the front brake.

But yeah a silly idea if you want to dismantle it.

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:21:56 pm »
They look nice ,have the setup on my gravel bike. Trouble is it wont be easy renewing a cable or changing the hydraulic brakes as it looks like a strip down and cutting the brake tubes if i  have to change the callipers or levers, not quite thro the stem .Even so not much leeway for removing bars to place in bike box.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2021, 07:40:38 am »
Much prefer to have the cables where I can swap them without unwrapping the bars.  Old 9x & 10x Shim shifters were great - you could rest your thumbs against the cable exits to stretch the muscles a bit. When the cables went under the tape I had tendinitis between my right thumb & forefinger for weeks.  The current systems are very chic but haute couture is usually bullshit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2021, 09:41:50 am »
The big push to market “aero” bikes has produced some incredibly complex systems, going inside the bars, the stem and into the head tube before disappearing into the frame.
Experienced professional mechanics report 8 hr plus build times. Special low- drag cables are often required. Specialized have a particular system on their “ aero” bikes.There is a recall on the SL7 Tarmac because one of the collars can etch and weaken the steers tube.
Personally I find it totally bizarre. A cable exposed for a few centimetres cannot produce a significant drag. For me, it’s marketing not engineering.

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2021, 09:47:57 am »
As you sure which county it is, they have pretty low gearing. More of a bike for  Switzerland 🇨🇭 than Sweden 🇸🇪.👿. 34 or 36 on rear and little chain rings. Is the gravel bubble about to bust and they have bikes to shift🤔. Hope this is the start of a rethinking about gearing?  Next up a triple and a straight thro block👍

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2021, 10:20:43 am »
I’ve a bike with fully integrated cables - run through a one piece bar stem arrangement and past an oversize top bearing into the downtube.

It’s a bit of a faff to set up - not 8 hours though - and I wouldn’t consider taking it apart other than for major surgery/new frame. For that reason I’d only consider it for hydraulic DI2 (or equivalent) as you’d otherwise be creating too much future work.

Yes, marketing. But to be fair, even aero is just marketing for almost all of us.

To Salar’s comment, I don’t need big gears on an Audax. 48 or 50 to 12 is more than enough top gear for me in a long and non-competitive ride:)

« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2021, 10:24:26 am »
I’ve a bike with fully integrated cables - run through a one piece bar stem arrangement and past an oversize top bearing into the downtube.

It’s a bit of a faff to set up - not 8 hours though - and I wouldn’t consider taking it apart other than for major surgery/new frame. For that reason I’d only consider it for hydraulic DI2 (or equivalent) as you’d otherwise be creating too much future work.

Yes, marketing. But to be fair, even aero is just marketing for almost all of us.

To Salar’s comment, I don’t need big gears on an Audax. 48 or 50 to 12 is more than enough top gear for me in a long and non-competitive ride:)

You do have big gears compared to the above bikes😂

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2021, 03:19:16 pm »
Will cableless wireless brakes be the next big thing?

There's cableless wireless gears now, so why not get rid off the convoluted routing of brake cables through the bars, stem, headset, forks, and frame?

It might be a few years ahead though, enough for people to become dissatisfied with their current setup, and also because the wireless brakes will be made for a new mount design therefore everyone has to buy new bikes!.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/worlds-first-wireless-electronic-bicycle-brake/

« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2021, 05:46:49 pm »

You do have big gears compared to the above bikes😂

Thighs of steel😉

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #14 on: 25 October, 2021, 07:26:49 pm »
As you sure which county it is, they have pretty low gearing. More of a bike for  Switzerland 🇨🇭 than Sweden 🇸🇪.👿. 34 or 36 on rear and little chain rings. Is the gravel bubble about to bust and they have bikes to shift🤔. Hope this is the start of a rethinking about gearing?  Next up a triple and a straight thro block👍

46/10 gives a higher top gear than 50/11, which is what I've been riding on for the last decade or so. The super low gears will come in handy for very steep climbs or just climbing whilst knackered.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2021, 08:47:15 pm »
Electronic gears FTW  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 25 October, 2021, 10:45:35 pm »
And how long are most of us in the biggest gear? I have never worn out my smallest cog. 😂

« Reply #17 on: 26 October, 2021, 10:35:48 am »

46/10 gives a higher top gear than 50/11, which is what I've been riding on for the last decade or so. The super low gears will come in handy for very steep climbs or just climbing whilst knackered.

Glad you like the 46/10 combo, have a look at this graph.
The graph shows the losses in drivetrain setups, 48/10 is the worst combo. This is lab conditions would expect a dirty chain to add at least 1/2 again to the friction losses. I am waiting for a modern version of my old triple not only do you have an even spread of gears they can be efficient as well.

« Reply #18 on: 26 October, 2021, 10:43:20 am »
As always, all graphs or stats that record a difference in “watts” without mentioning either speed or overall power are a load of old shit.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #19 on: 26 October, 2021, 12:19:55 pm »
Will cableless wireless brakes be the next big thing?
I'm not sure e-brakes would be allowed on the road as there would be too many potential 'points of failure' in a safety critical system. (And if e-braes were allowed there would probably need to be a mechanical/hydraulic link as well just in case an electrical component failed.) Because you have to be able to stop.

AIUI, car brakes (and car steering) have to maintain the mechanical link for the same reason.

Gears are in a different category, because they're not safety critical.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #20 on: 26 October, 2021, 01:06:23 pm »
The Addict looks like the cables run under the stem through an extended spacer/fairing - removing the bars and then the stem might give you enough flex to pack the bars as you want.

The cervelo looks less forgiving in that respect.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #21 on: 26 October, 2021, 01:09:09 pm »
As always, all graphs or stats that record a difference in “watts” without mentioning either speed or overall power are a load of old shit.

A quick Google shows 250W @ a cadence of 95rpm.

The details are in this article: https://www.cyclingabout.com/drivetrain-efficiency-difference-speed-between-1x-2x/

« Reply #22 on: 26 October, 2021, 03:30:43 pm »
So that's in my ballpark of power. I'm saving some as well 48/13 is my smallest sprocket.

« Reply #23 on: 26 October, 2021, 07:18:27 pm »
So that's in my ballpark of power. I'm saving some as well 48/13 is my smallest sprocket.

How can you live without 53:11!

😉

Funny, after I observed that 12 was small enough I remembered that I was on 50:13 until recently. I did occasionally run out of spin, but never where it mattered.