Author Topic: I borked my knee  (Read 14670 times)

Chris S

I borked my knee
« on: 14 June, 2008, 06:18:44 pm »
On today's Audax.

Intermittent knee pain in the preceding 50km , then grimping up a steeper hill something went p'twang and pain shot off the scale. I was unable to continue.

Now at home, in RICE mode.

When I put weight on that leg, it feels like someone is trying to lever off my knee cap. No swelling, no bruising - just the stabbing pain when I put weight on it.

I wasn't planning on going to the docs/hospital unless it doesn't improve after a few days as I know the look I'll get when I say "Well, I was 100 miles into a 300 mile bike ride when my knee started to hurt."

I may go to a sports physio I've been to before.

annie

Re: I borked my knee
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:22:47 pm »
Really sorry to hear about this Chris.  You could have called me  as I am not that far from where you had your incident.

Doesn't sound very good to me.  Where is the pain?

Have a hug.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »

Right behind the knee cap. And there's pressure - like someone is levering off my knee cap.

Have a hug.

Aww thanks  :-*

annie

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2008, 12:21:32 am »

Right behind the knee cap. And there's pressure - like someone is levering off my knee cap.

Have a hug.

Aww thanks  :-*

Chris, this sounds very bad, please seek the advice of an expert, don't leave it to see if it gets better.  Cruciate perhaps?

Have another huggle.  :-*

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2008, 01:11:39 am »
Cruciate perhaps?

That was what I was thinking when I read the OP (that, or alien knee-burrowing worms)...maybe not, but best get it checked.

« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:50:13 am »
They come in threes.
First Pumpe, now you !!
Lookout forum, the knee thing is going on.  :hand:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:53:28 am »
Sympathy, Chris. Get well soon: the only reason the rest of us sleep easy in our beds is because we are safe in the knowledge that you are out there patrolling the flatlands on the lookout for baddies.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

alan

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:13:13 am »
They come in threes.
First Pumpe, now you !!
Lookout forum, the knee thing is going on.  :hand:

The "three" principle is fulfilled.Marj has just had one of her's replaced completely.

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:18:32 am »
Thanks Alan, phew, that is good to know.  I did actually know that as I'd read the thread, but it had slipped under my memory radar  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:34:41 am »

Best wishes Chris.

(Event to the extent that I hope you will soon be overtaking me on Bikejournal!!)

DanialW

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2008, 05:32:56 pm »
Oh crikey, that sounds serious.

I really wouldn't wait to see if gets better. I'd seek advice ASAP.

Maladict

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:35:19 pm »
Go see a doc.  And try to avoid loading the knee.

I don't know what's available near to you but there's a sports injury clinic at Addenbrooke's that will see you within 48h of the injury occurring and they might be best for this kind of thing, it is a fair trek though and you'd have to go tomorrow morning to fit within the 48h window.

Addenbrooke's Hospital: Peter Wilson Sports Injury Clinic

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:45:14 pm »
Ouch Chris - hope it gets un-borked soon.

« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:48:27 pm »
Go see a doc.  And try to avoid loading the knee.

I don't know what's available near to you but there's a sports injury clinic at Addenbrooke's that will see you within 48h of the injury occurring and they might be best for this kind of thing, it is a fair trek though and you'd have to go tomorrow morning to fit within the 48h window.

Addenbrooke's Hospital: Peter Wilson Sports Injury Clinic

they're excellent, I've used them several times**.  They dont actually check that the injury was within 48 hours, but you may have to bend the truth slightly...

** they used to have a stunning swedish physio called Trude who completely sorted my hip dodgy hip.

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:26:36 am »
Spoke to my GP this morning, when I called for one of the emergency appointments. Having described my condition to him, he said "See you at 11 - don't be surprised if I send you straight on to Kings Lynn for a scan."  :-\

Pain is not so intense now, but there is bruising and swelling, and it throbs like a bugger.

« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:32:19 am »
Ouch.  Hope the doc or Kings Lynn can help!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:38:13 am »
Oh, bad luck Chris. I hope they can get you sorted quickly.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:48:42 am »
"See you at 11 - don't be surprised if I send you straight on to Kings Lynn for a scan."  #

Do not ride to the doctors!

Get well soon Chris. About 18 years ago when I was still sailing competitively (dinghy sailing is not good for knees), a had bad knee trouble. My GP told me to give up sailing or else the problem would get worse. That was the only advice he would give, so I changed my doctor to one who understood the problem (who also happened to be medic to the British Olympic Sailing squad). He had it sorted in a month or so, mainly by giving me excersises to do. So Chris, make sure that the doctor you see understands the problem you've got..

Hope to see you out and about soon.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:49:26 am »
There but for the grace of God go I...Hope it goes well at the Quacks Chris..

annie

« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:50:36 am »
Spoke to my GP this morning, when I called for one of the emergency appointments. Having described my condition to him, he said "See you at 11 - don't be surprised if I send you straight on to Kings Lynn for a scan."  :-\

Pain is not so intense now, but there is bruising and swelling, and it throbs like a bugger.

Extra large hugs coming your way.   :-*

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:25:27 pm »
75% certainty I've torn the front meniscus.

Doc was certainly very thorough - I was in there for 45 minutes!

He doesn't think there's ligament damage, but an MRI would answer that for sure. He wants to give it a few days rest - there's a lot of fluid in there at the moment - before committing to an MRI.

He's also fairly sure there's some debris in the joint as I can't straighten my leg. If that persists, I may need minor surgery to "tidy things up a bit".

For now, I'll stay on the Horse Tranquilisers and in addition am now on Diclofenac. Also - absolute rest for "several days".

Doc was interested in the fact that I'm the first cyclist he's seen with this problem - it's usually footballers who get this. I suppose there might be a possibility I was over-geared on fixed, grimping up a hill, and possibly have some age related wear and tear there; and these factors combined and the cartilage just failed  ::-).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »
This website says that for people under the age of 30, damage is usually caused by sport; for over 40's it's wear & tear.

How long off the bike, Chris?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #22 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:52:40 pm »
This website says that for people under the age of 30, damage is usually caused by sport; for over 40's it's wear & tear.

How long off the bike, Chris?

Absolute rest for a few days, but longer term, he said I should either contact the hospital and see a physio, or see an independent Sports Physio to get an exercise and rehab program going. All that depends on whether I need further treatment of course.

By "front" meniscus, I'm assuming he means "outer".

« Reply #23 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:01:16 pm »
 :(

Get well soon ChrisS. That "absolute" rest is gonna be tough.

annie

« Reply #24 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:35:09 pm »
Do as you are told and do absolutely nothing.  I really hope they sort this for you asap.  Can I send you some crosswords or perhaps a ball of wool and some knitting needles?