Author Topic: Broken rib  (Read 4382 times)

goatpebble

Broken rib
« on: 26 July, 2008, 09:37:42 pm »
To cut a long story short, I was locked out of my flat, gained entry by climbing through a small panel above the door, and ran up the stairs, and felt a click from my rib.

The pain started two hours later, having been sitting at my desk. I have broken a rib before, and it was immediately obvious what had happened.

No problems breathing, and in fact I tackled a big hill the next day. Nights were hell, because every time I rolled over onto the 'wrong' side, I would wake up in agony.

There's a slight sticky out bit, as I have broken the same rib before. It was really odd, the idea of your body failing for an unknown reason.

Now everything seems to be healing quite fast.

Please don't shout at me, but I did not see my doctor. The last time this happened, no one believed me until someone actually examined me. This took three visits!

Do I have to worry about a 'spontaneous' sort of break (which I understand is common) ?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Broken rib
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2008, 09:55:43 pm »
*Shouts at GP*

GP, please visit your GP.  Please?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

goatpebble

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2008, 10:03:14 pm »
*Shouts at GP*

GP, please visit your GP.  Please?

ok

(small humbled voice)

:-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2008, 10:18:03 pm »
I would not necessarily advise you to see a doctor for a broken rib if this has been the result of significant violence to your ribcage. (I did not seek advice following my crash-landing on exit from the Ringwood Hall Hotel last year.)

I am a bit concerned that this has happened after rather less. I think you should see a doctor...

Tiger

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2008, 02:15:14 pm »
Have you been checked out for Osteogenesis Imperfecta? Spontaneous rib fracture under stress is an indicator. Do you have any of the following - bad teeth, tendency to bruise, discoloured eyes?
You may need HRT.

melw1

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:30:54 pm »
Hi Goatpebble,

This happens to hubby - fractures ribs very easily.  No-one took it seriously until he fractured his back. He's since had a bone scan and he's got osteoporis, but only in his ribs and back. He's early 40s.  Might be worth trying to get a scan, especially if it happens again??? 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2008, 04:39:53 pm »
Ouch!  Get that checked out!
Getting there...

bikebagg

« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2008, 08:29:26 pm »

I am a bit concerned that this has happened after rather less. I think you should see a doctor...
[/quote]

I went to the Pyrenees for a fortnight without my wife.  When I returned she cooked me a special meal, i.e wine and candles.  I reached across the table to hold her hand and slipped against the edge of the table.  The result was a broken rib.  Very painful, especially in bed when I rolled onto it but I did not go to the doctors.  It is improving and now, after a almost 3 weeks, just a bit tender.

A note to me for the future, forget the romatic bit, but do you really think I should have gone to the doctors ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2008, 12:46:36 am »

I went to the Pyrenees for a fortnight without my wife.  When I returned she cooked me a special meal, i.e wine and candles.  I reached across the table to hold her hand and slipped against the edge of the table.  The result was a broken rib.  Very painful, especially in bed when I rolled onto it but I did not go to the doctors.  It is improving and now, after a almost 3 weeks, just a bit tender.

A note to me for the future, forget the romatic bit, but do you really think I should have gone to the doctors ?
[/quote]

Not really. There was a definite injury.

Reasons to see a doctor:
Pain not amenable to remedies you have to hand/can obtain.
Breathlessness
Coughing up blood.

If you had seen a doctor who had diagnosed a fractured rib, he might have been duty-bound to forbid you from flying for a while...

goatpebble

« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:49:19 pm »
Well, I described the incident to my doctor. He examined my ribcage, and confirmed that I had probably put all my weight on the most vulnerable rib, as before. The previous injury took place leaning over a balcony wall, picking lemons from the kitchen terrace of a rented villa on Ithaca, 12 years ago.

I have done the same thing climbing over the door frame into my flat!

I was stupid. I thought I could just throw myself around like a child (I am a small person) and in doing so, I did some nastiness to myself.

It looks like I broke the rib, and tore some cartilage stuff and muscle.

It's annoying, but it is healing quickly. He was shocked when I told him that I had cycled up my favourite hill, but said that gentle excercise that open up your lungs are good if you have a minor rib injury.

He did say that I should be very careful, and report back immediately if things feel odd.