Author Topic: Exercise for the over-35s  (Read 2198 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Exercise for the over-35s
« on: 27 September, 2008, 12:46:53 pm »
Just came across this exercise suggested for the over 35's to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy so I thought that I'd pass it on to you. The Read More article suggested doing it three days a week.

1. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 2kg potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax.

2. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 5kg potato bag. Then 25kg potato bag and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 50kg potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute (I'm at this level).

3. After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the bags.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: Exercise for the over-35s
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »
I started out carrying a few grams around with me all day and gradually over the course of around five years have increased it to 20 kilos. I find that I can carry this all day without noticing it too much. It does make climbing hills more difficult though. Unfortunately I can't easily get rid of it as it's located in a layer of fat on my belly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2008, 01:59:13 pm »
 ;D @ both of you

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2008, 02:09:48 pm »
Just keep riding hard. Works for me. I started TTing at 35. Loved it. Esp. on my fixed gear bike. Am I good; not really, middle of the  bunch in my club, at the back in big local competitions. Does it matter; of course not!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »
Isometrics

You can do it with out the weights

It bloody hurts after 5 minutes or so :'(

alan

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2008, 05:36:30 pm »
I started out carrying a few grams around with me all day and gradually over the course of around five years have increased it to 20 kilos. I find that I can carry this all day without noticing it too much. It does make climbing hills more difficult though. Unfortunately I can't easily get rid of it as it's located in a layer of fat on my belly.

;D
I can relate to that .That's about the same amount of weight I have put on since I stopped smoking 10 years ago.In addition to a spare tyre around the middle I now boast a decent pair of man-boobs. :o

cpjmathieson

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2008, 04:39:14 pm »
That is all well and good as an exercise, but with the credit crunch I can't afford that many potatoes!!!! ;D lol

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2008, 08:49:34 pm »
I wonder if it works as well with different sizes of bags of crisps?

H

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »
I was pretty comfortable with Steps 1 and even 2, but 3? Come on!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2008, 09:12:46 pm »
20 fluid ounce dumbells work pretty well!

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:53:06 pm »
Bit like Les Dawson's exercise regime - every morning, no slacking "hup, two, three, four", then the other eyelid
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'