Author Topic: Low red blood cell count  (Read 1457 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Low red blood cell count
« on: 10 October, 2008, 07:02:10 pm »
Since my gall bladder was taken out back in February I've been getting regular blood testing done at the GPs. My red cell count was low and the cells a bit on the big side, but the general trend seemed to be going back towards normal and the Hematologist thought it was simply due to the stress my body was under when my gall bladder packed in. Just had the results from the most recent test and it's getting worse again, down from 140 to 120 (apparently it should be about 150). Got lots of questions from the doc as to whether I felt more tired and if I ever felt dizzy or not. My honest answer - I'm not sure. I quite often struggle to stay awake much past 11pm, but I just thought I was getting older (I'm 41). I can ride a 600 without too much problems, but I do quite often feel a bit light-headed when I'm cycling.

Questions for the panel -

1) I got my last blood sample taken on the Monday morning after doing a 600. Can a lot of exercise actually reduce the red-cell count?
2) Is it normal to feel a bit light-headed when cycling, or is that just me?

World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Re: Low red blood cell count
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »
Have you told your doctor just how much cycling you do? Remember a lot of people would consider 10 miles a long distance.

I suggest you google "exercise induced anaemia" because that could well explain your blood count.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2008, 08:16:33 pm »
Re the light headed feeling.  That could just be low blood sugar -  a precursor of getting the bonk and I've had that a lot in the last year or two.  If that's the cause, it's nowt to worry about.

I was very, very anaemic before I was diagnosed, but I never felt light headed.  And being tired at 11pm sounds normal - I used have my breakfast and want to go straight back to bed!

Trust the pro's.  But keep them on the toes!

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2008, 08:46:17 pm »
I was turned away from a blood donation session two days after a 600 when I failed the copper sulphate Haemo test thingy. Is that the same thing?

When I admitted to the nurse to my previous weekend's exertions - she said "Go home dear, put your feet up and have a cup of tea."

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »
I was turned away from a blood donation session two days after a 600 when I failed the copper sulphate Haemo test thingy. Is that the same thing?

When I admitted to my previous weekend's exertions - she said "Go home dear, put your feet up and have a cup of tea."

I had a similar thing a couple of days after a 300. As the copper sulphate thing is checking for iron in the blood and anaemia is to do with insufficient iron, I guess they are probably linked, but I'm not a medic so I might be talking twaddle.