Author Topic: "Romero's tale of two world titles"  (Read 4048 times)

"Romero's tale of two world titles"
« on: 28 March, 2008, 12:32:19 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: "Romero's tale of two world titles"
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:29:22 pm »
Saw this last night. She made the American World Champ look like an amateur wobbling all over the bike whereas Romero was silky smooth with all power going into forward motion. Very impressive.

It was also great to see track cycling given such a prominent place on the BBC - the London Fixie craze is obviously having an impact.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
Saw this last night. She made the American World Champ look like an amateur wobbling all over the bike whereas Romero was silky smooth with all power going into forward motion. Very impressive.

It was also great to see track cycling given such a prominent place on the BBC - the London Fixie craze is obviously having an impact.

Nowt to do with the London Fixie craze. It's the Manchester Effect. The lottery money for the expenses of the athletes, the coaches and the persistence to build the velodrome in Manc. despite being denied the Olympics so often. This in turn allowed Newport to be built. GB has always been good at track cycling, Hugh Porter, Chris Boardman, Beryl Burton, we've always had world champions, now were have many.

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:44:19 pm »
she's bloody amazing - I met her at a regatta ages ago and am so chuffed to see her succeeding again.  She had a very messy political fallout with the gb rowing management - entirely their loss!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:19:13 am »
I just heard her interviewed on Woman's Hour.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2008, 07:11:59 pm »
Rebecca was a 'Saturday' girl where I used to work at Pearson cycles, I set the mail order up there and she used to come in from school at 5pm every day to take all the parcels to the post office for me.

She saved and saved to buy herself a full on race bike, she would often join me on my ride after work, even then she was immensely strong with that smooth style of hers, she would repeatedly tell me that one day she would win an Olympic gold medal, then tease me that she would do it for Spain   ;D, a reply of "that's a funny way to hand in your notice" made her see sense of course  ;D

She came to see me a few weeks ago and simply said, you remember me once telling you...she then gave me a hug that lifted me off clean off my feet  ;D, a great rider and a lovely person as well; proud of her  :thumbsup:

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Dave

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2008, 07:40:03 pm »
There was a really good article in the Guardian a couple of days ago comparing the track team very favourably to other sports people, particularly in terms of how they handle the media. A phrase the journo used has stuck in my mind, that unlike many sports people, their interviews show "humour, self-knowledge and intelligence".  8)

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:11:40 pm »
There was a really good article in the Guardian a couple of days ago comparing the track team very favourably to other sports people, particularly in terms of how they handle the media. A phrase the journo used has stuck in my mind, that unlike many sports people, their interviews show "humour, self-knowledge and intelligence".  8)

I'd agree with that, they were very eloquent and relatively humble in their TV interviews at Manchester despite all the success.

Partly due to cycling being such a middle-class sport ;)
Romero, Pendleton, Hoy and Staff are particularly good on camera It would be futile to single out individuals.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:16:57 pm »
She came to see me a few weeks ago and simply said, you remember me once telling you...she then gave me a hug that lifted me off clean off my feet  ;D, a great rider and a lovely person as well; proud of her  :thumbsup:

Aww, lovely story.  I hope you told her to go get more! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 06:22:41 am »
Rebecca was a 'Saturday' girl where I used to work at Pearson cycles, I set the mail order up there and she used to come in from school at 5pm every day to take all the parcels to the post office for me.

She saved and saved to buy herself a full on race bike, she would often join me on my ride after work, even then she was immensely strong with that smooth style of hers, she would repeatedly tell me that one day she would win an Olympic gold medal, then tease me that she would do it for Spain   ;D, a reply of "that's a funny way to hand in your notice" made her see sense of course  ;D

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

I sold this gentleman a pair of road wheels a couple of years ago.

http://www.lumicycle.com/pages/cms/123/roblee.html
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2008, 06:55:36 am »
.... she would repeatedly tell me that one day she would win an Olympic gold medal, then tease me that she would do it for Spain   ;D, a reply of "that's a funny way to hand in your notice" made her see sense of course  ;D
Says a lot about the self-belief of successful athletes.

Neil

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:38:21 pm »
.... she would repeatedly tell me that one day she would win an Olympic gold medal, then tease me that she would do it for Spain   ;D, a reply of "that's a funny way to hand in your notice" made her see sense of course  ;D
Says a lot about the self-belief of successful athletes.

Neil

Another important quality that she had even back then, that many elite sportsmen/women have, was you could see that she was as hard as nails.

I recall one evening ride, as can happen on such occasions an unplanned for stop for a swift half or two had a group of us well behind schedule and mountain biking home across Epsom Downs on a cloudy moonless night with inadequate lighting, we really couldn’t see a thing! So much so that we strayed onto the golf course in the dark. As far as I was concerned I was bombing along following this little red light and then whoosh, she just disappeared before my very eyes! Skidding to a halt I peered over the top of a deep bunker, she had completely cleared the sand and had landed face first on the other side, blood pouring out of her mouth.

You could see she had hurt herself and quite a bit, but she just got on with it, a few un lady like words as she dusted herself down, hopped back on the bike and she belted off again; made of stern stuff is our Rebecca

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk