Author Topic: FWC Questions  (Read 1662 times)

FWC Questions
« on: 05 December, 2023, 05:31:32 pm »
My 50th birthday project involves building a fixie. It’s an itch I’ve wanted to scratch since PBP earlier this year. Also read midlife crisis

I understand the point scoring mathematics but I don’t understand how it is logged and the AUK site makes no sense to me. Do you run a spread sheet? have an annual brevet card that gets stamped in calendar events? and how do you record DIYs? Do you pay an extra £1 for every fixed ride?

I get that it’s down to honesty and ‘the excellence of Audax’ but could someone gently explain please? 

Thank you.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: FWC Questions
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2023, 06:05:20 pm »
There used to be a FWC brevet card that would be stamped or signed at the finish of brevets but I've not seen one of those for years.
https://www.audax.uk/awards-pages/fixed-wheel/fwc-regulations/
https://www.audax.uk/awards-pages/fixed-wheel/faqs/

Otherwise it is a case of claiming your total near the season's end. Unjustified claims would likely get called out pretty hard by their peers, particularly if they had one of the larger totals.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2023, 06:52:01 pm »
There is still a FWC brevet card that you get stamped at the end of calendar events or sign yourself in the case of perms or DIYs - it has space to record 25 rides. You pay £1 to the organiser, Richard Phipps, for the brevet card but there are no other charges for doing rides. At the end of each season,  as LWaB says, you let Richard have your points claim for the year. It’s all very straightforward once you start doing it  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2023, 07:23:25 pm »
Three cheers for physical brevets - still around for the FWC/SFW awards, though I'm sure Mr Phixie accepts other methods of recording your fixed rides. The controlleur at the PBP arriveé knew what mine was for. (Not so subtle brag!)

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2023, 09:35:56 pm »
I would just write a polite email to Mr P detailing my fixed events and he'd reply with the email equivalent of a pat on the head.  The only time I got told off was in 2015 when I failed to get a fixed Hyper SR.

FWC Questions
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2023, 08:16:32 am »
Thanks all. I’ll be posting off two coins to Mr P then! Ian, I’m also hoping to get out of the warm embrace of Bristol rides and come down your way more in 2024. Maybe if I can even ride the damn thing I’ll go up to Great Dunmow and do ‘that’ 600!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2023, 03:36:23 pm »
Thanks all. I’ll be posting off two coins to Mr P then! Ian, I’m also hoping to get out of the warm embrace of Bristol rides and come down your way more in 2024. Maybe if I can even ride the damn thing I’ll go up to Great Dunmow and do ‘that’ 600!

You're more than welcome, but not everyone considers my events to be entirely fixed-friendly (Of the current calendar events, I've only ridden the Buzzard 600 on fixed).  There are also Sarah's events.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2023, 04:06:29 pm »
Worry not Ian. I won’t be trying fixed on ANY of your rides. Not in 2024 anyway. ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2023, 05:45:54 pm »
Off topic, but there was a guy in our hall at university called Aled, who applauded the burning of holiday cottages, was overweight and generally not very nice.  He was universally known as "the FWC"  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2023, 06:00:30 pm »
Off to Google that ‘carefully’…

« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2023, 07:15:03 pm »
Be wary, I remember riding my first two events fixed and opened up my fixed brevet at the end and presented it to the organiser, they didn’t have a clue what it was.  Since then I note the ride in the brevet card but leave it at home.  I’m sure if I was ever questioned I could find some photos in my phone or someone I rode with.
I can attest that the acme events are very fixed friendly minus Canwick hill!
Good luck.

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2023, 11:03:43 am »
Good luck HeltorChasca - I scratched the itch this year, and curse myself for not trying it earlier!

You also get fixed points for 100km rides. Granted this season you get points for 50km upwards now, but I liked the idea of doing the even more laid back shorter events and also get 'internet' points.

I sent my money to Richard. Recorded my rides in the brevet. Got calendar organisers to stamp and sign their events. But all Richard wants for normal fixed challenge points, is an e-mail listing the rides you did on fixed at the end of the season. He'll double check they exist in the results section, and could always ask for the brevet.

No further evidence was required. The number of fixed gear riders is so small - there would be a disturbance in The Force if somebody lied - we would KNOW  ;D

Enjoy the pedalling!

« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2023, 09:47:39 pm »
Ahh this sounds easier than I thought . Thank you.

« Reply #13 on: 28 December, 2023, 06:55:22 pm »
If building up a fixed gear machine you could do a lot worse than trying to source one of them WABI framesets. Taiwan welded or brazed Reynolds 725, built up and sold in USA. All up mass around 18.5 lbs (8.4 kg). Compatible with 1 1/8" aheadsets so you can run modern stems and bars.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a UK dealer, checkout their range at https://wabicycles.com/collections/ssfixed

I'm running an old 531 Raleigh Record Ace as fixed gear and struggle to get the mass below 10 kg. I think the WABI offerings must have superlight unbranded wheelsets. I don't often lust after new stuff but I would like a WABI special. There's a fellow on youTube, Zach Gallardo, who's a bit of a hipster but he does some fixed gear stuff with WABI sponsorship.
Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2024, 07:46:20 am »
You can run modern stems and bars on a 1" threadless fork too, although it's a size that never really got traction. 

10kg without pedals or mudguards (the usual marketing weight) should be easy for a fixie.  I think my steel ones are about 18lb, and I always buy cheap rims.  You can build a Moulton F-frame fixie under 10kg WITH pedals, and those are 10.5lb for the frameset alone.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.