Author Topic: What Fixie?  (Read 4319 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
What Fixie?
« on: 27 April, 2013, 02:14:43 pm »
I have had a search of the site but find no thread with this title!
I have 2 motives in starting this thread.
Firstly, it seems to me that the field of available fixies seems to alter by the month and a thread for users to query and post about the current available crop my be useful...
Secondly, my No. 1 Son is relocating to Imperial College in Londinium in August and will be requiring suitable transport, his current bag of gas pipes about to gas its last.
Looking around, my first choice, an On-One Pompino is not available with no indication of when more will be available.
The Edinburgh cycles revolution SS is also out of stock, as it the Jamis Beatnik. I am after a simple relatively inexpensive London suitable fixie/SS able to take mudguards for all year commuting.

What do you think?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What Fixie?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2013, 02:53:59 pm »
Charge Plug?  Bit heavy, but  suitable for everyday road use.    In stock at Wiggle.  Obviously, most of us would get a 1980s skip frame and build our own  :)  Look for a frame with horizontal dropouts on fleaBay that isn't ludicrously big - Peugeots, Motobecanes, Puch, whatever.

You can get mudguards on pretty much anything if you try.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2013, 02:59:33 pm »
Depending on his size, would this be of any interest?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »
Depending on his size, would this be of any interest?

He's just over 6' 4" tall..... Though at 21, he SHOULD have stopped growing by now :)
He can fit onto a 60cm frame. What size is Stella?

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:05:03 pm »
about that, I recon.  I thought she was too big for me at 6'2"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »
Genesis Flyer?
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2013, 04:54:27 pm »

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2013, 06:39:38 pm »
I have a rather nice Scott single speed with flip flop hubs.  two brakes.

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2013, 11:21:11 am »
I have a rather nice Scott single speed with flip flop hubs.  two brakes.

Two brakes is always good, but then I live on hills.

LindaG

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2013, 11:25:48 am »
Pearson do a lovely one.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2013, 02:39:06 pm »
Hulver is selling a 61cm Langster frame over on the classifieds board, it could be just your thing.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2013, 01:20:43 pm »
Pearson do a lovely one.

I've had two of them, lovely bike to ride, space for rack and guards. Great firm to deal with.

Unfortunately I am a fat git and I break bikes, I cracked the down tube on both of the them. I tend to believe them when they say they have never had other customers have the same problem, I broke a pompino as well.

I'd still recommend them. I've just learned to treat frames as consumables and pomps are cheaper.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »
Charge Plug and Spesh Langster make a good 50% of the FG/SS I see in Londonton.  Popular for a reason, I suppose.

Personally, if I were to be going for a new commuting fixed that didn't need luggage, I'd be tempted by a Fuji Classic.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2013, 06:01:48 pm »
I got a (2012) 58cm Track Revolution single speed (flip/flop hubs) that I am happy to sell if anyone is interested...

Nice bike and all...
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2013, 03:41:40 pm »
Surly Steamroller

« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2013, 10:45:25 am »
I'd suggest building your own. Chances are you'll get more quality parts and understand building them up.

I'm building one on a budget at the moment for the times I don't/can't take my Yukon out. Sub £200 is my goal.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2013, 11:00:00 am »
Genesis Day One - might have to hit fleaBay for a pre-disc version though, as I'm not sure if the hub on the new Day One Disc will take a fixed sprocket and lockring.

I've got two - one with an Alfine-8, the other with an S3X. Lovely bikes.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #17 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:06:47 pm »
Genesis Day One - might have to hit fleaBay for a pre-disc version though, as I'm not sure if the hub on the new Day One Disc will take a fixed sprocket and lockring.

I can confirm it won't take a lockring.

I run it fixed without one anyway (I've never run a lockring, so wasn't overly bothered about that - other folks may have differing opinions on that).

#include <stdlockringdebate.h>
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:23:55 pm »
I run it fixed without one anyway (I've never run a lockring, so wasn't overly bothered about that - other folks may have differing opinions on that).

#include <stdlockringdebate.h>
Depends on your style of riding.
For road riding, I'll go either way - the only reason the S3X has a lockring is because the body takes a cassette sprocket and you need something to get it to stay put.

On the other hand, riding off-road with no lockring isn't going to end well so both my off-road fixeds are lockring'd to the max.

YMMV.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2013, 01:59:13 pm »
Charge Plug?  Bit heavy, but  suitable for everyday road use.    In stock at Wiggle.  Obviously, most of us would get a 1980s skip frame and build our own  :)  Look for a frame with horizontal dropouts on fleaBay that isn't ludicrously big - Peugeots, Motobecanes, Puch, whatever.

You can get mudguards on pretty much anything if you try.

Some of us would have the spare frame.

« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2013, 04:08:53 pm »

Get a Langster. They are reasonably well spec'd for the price and comfortable to ride.

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-bicycles-langster-09-33814/