Author Topic: Long drop calipers  (Read 2638 times)

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Long drop calipers
« on: 01 January, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »
Hi. I'm building up a new fixed frame, and think I've got a problem with the brake drop. I was assuming I could transfer the existing calipers (SRAM Apex) from my old road frame to the new one (Strada Fixation, same as Pearson Hanzo and others). The front caliper is just about OK on the limit (they're supposed to be 57mm drop), but the rear looks truly marginal with the wheel set fully forward (chain not fitted yet), so will be too high once the wheel is set further back.

Is this common for frames with track ends? The obvious alternative looks like the Tektro R559 (55-73mm drop), or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Chris N

Re: Long drop calipers
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2014, 08:58:15 pm »
I have the same frame and use Shimano R450 brakes - they're 57mm max, apparently. I run the pads right at the bottom of the slots and the wheel is just past half way back along the track ends, iirc.

Thinking about it, I might have filed the slots a little deeper to allow me to move the wheel further back...

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2014, 09:00:27 pm »
I've got the same frame (mine's a 19", if that makes a difference) - same problem, again using 57mm brakes. I just have the wheel far forward in the track ends, which makes it difficult to remove the wheel because I can't get much slack in the chain. :-\

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2014, 09:04:52 pm »
File the bottom of the slots if you need just an extra mm or two.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2014, 09:11:00 pm »
You could make a "drop bolt". See Sheldon Brown: http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:06:46 pm »
you can simply get "dropped" cartridges, no bodging needed

Reg.T

« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:50:04 pm »
Thanks all. Filing certainly an option, but I'm not sure it'll give me enough extra.

Zigzag - can you point me at any cartridges with drop, please?  (a quick search hasn't thrown up anything obvious to me)

ETA: Have found BDop OFFSET BRAKEPAD HOLDERS, but only from US at $37.50 (about £23 if no additional taxes) for 1 set.

Alternative is a single Dia-Compe BRS202 caliper (57-75mm) for around £27.

[The above edit cross-posted with aeolus below]

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2014, 11:23:00 pm »
My Fixation has Tektro 539's (47-59mm) - fine at the front, but marginal at the rear with the wheel in about mid postion -  may file a bit to give a bit of tolerance.

Was looking at replacing the rear with a Dia Compe BRS202 (57-75) as SJS do these individually.

Reg.T

« Reply #8 on: 02 January, 2014, 04:36:01 pm »
Have decided to get a single Dia-Compe BRS202 (£25 posted via ebay) for the rear. I like the look of the SRAM caliper a lot more, but needs must, particularly if I'm going to run different sprocket sizes on each side of the hub.

The other rear wheel issue I have (apart from having to fit new bearings) is that if I put a Zefal HPX pump on the left seatstay, then it will rub against the 2nd sprocket (if I get around to fitting one). Might be able to carve the seating 'tabs' to encourage it to sit a bit further out. Or does anyone have any other solutions?

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:17:33 pm »
Plenty of space behind the seat tube to run the pump between the lh chainstay near the bb and a zefal jubilee clip type pump peg near the seat cluster.