Author Topic: Wilko's going bust!  (Read 7898 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Wilko's going bust!
« Reply #50 on: 06 August, 2023, 02:04:39 pm »
Apparently we of E17 have a Wilko in the High Street.  Plus there’s one just down the road at Tottenham Hale but going there means going west of the river, which we try to avoid except on the M25.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #51 on: 06 August, 2023, 03:15:23 pm »
It is my go-to store for DIY bits and pieces

They are great when you just need that "thing" but generally the "thing" is made of soft cheese.  Their screw heads round as soon as they see a Philips head screwdriver.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #52 on: 07 August, 2023, 12:28:14 pm »
Their screw heads round as soon as they see a Philips head screwdriver.

Could it be that they're Pozidriv?  ;D
Pen Pusher

« Reply #53 on: 07 August, 2023, 12:35:29 pm »
Think I'll mooch on down to Wilko this afternoon to see what they have left of stuffs that we normally buy there.

Need my walk so why not?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 08 August, 2023, 12:25:43 am »
This thread is useless without Canadian Tire.  It's basically Wilkos with added tires(sic) and hockey tape.  Maybe if we asked them nicely they could take over?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #55 on: 08 August, 2023, 12:52:04 am »
This thread is useless without Canadian Tire.  It's basically Wilkos with added tires(sic) and hockey tape.  Maybe if we asked them nicely they could take over, eh?

FTFY

« Reply #56 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:36:11 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66460059  Into administration. I was in the Huyton shop yesterday.  :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #57 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:49:34 am »
Boo.

Had these on the go for a few years... along with other random stuff, from anti-slip matting, to picture frames, & plant food.

Wilko-lube by a oxon, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #58 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:00:48 pm »
How is it possible for the directors to pay themselves a reported £3m in dividends last year if the financial forecasts were so dire?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:07:14 pm »
I think £3m was the total dividend payout, don't know how much of that went to directors. But even if it were only a small fraction (which I doubt), the same question applies. I suppose the answer is that's how "a shareholding democracy" works!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #60 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:10:52 pm »
Quick ! Stock up on sellotape. And shower gel.

« Reply #61 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:25:43 pm »
How is it possible for the directors to pay themselves a reported £3m in dividends last year if the financial forecasts were so dire?

You really expect the bosses of a (potentailly) failing company to forego pay? Why on earth should they - unless all staff volunteered to work for less / nothing of course. And who's to say £3million wasn't a significant drop from previoius payments?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #62 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:47:25 pm »

It seems the way of all businesses (well, BRITISH ones anyway). I expect what will happen next is that Wilko will be bought, since debt has value to some, and re-emerge as a new company (but with a slightly different name) and none of its former suppliers or staff will be paid  >:(.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #63 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:27:03 pm »

You really expect the bosses of a (potentailly) failing company to forego pay?
Dividends are not pay, the bosses would have been as entitled to payment for work done as any other employee.  Dividends are paid to the owners, shareholders, which in this case seems to be the Wilkinson family.  It's reasonable to ask why the directors considered a dividend appropriate, it was being asked months ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/29/wilko-owners-dividends-losses-emergency-funding-sales#:

« Reply #64 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:42:11 pm »
Quick look round my flat, flippin heck it's full of Wilko! Washing up bowl, bucket, crockery, pots and pans, wooden spoons, food containers, bin, dustpan and brushes, mop, storage boxes, coat hangers, bathroom mirror, bog brush, shower head, shower curtain, printer paper, notebooks, pens and crayons, scissors, extension leads, cuddly toy ... And that's before I open the cupboards with cleaning stuff in.
None of it is what I'd consider to be the highest quality, but neither is it tat, a lot of it was bought over ten years ago. 

« Reply #65 on: 10 August, 2023, 03:24:13 pm »
They were a good replacement for when Woolworths went under. Nowhere left in the High Street for useful stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 10 August, 2023, 07:55:47 pm »
Quick look round my flat, flippin heck it's full of Wilko! Washing up bowl, bucket, crockery, pots and pans, wooden spoons, food containers, bin, dustpan and brushes, mop, storage boxes, coat hangers, bathroom mirror, bog brush, shower head, shower curtain, printer paper, notebooks, pens and crayons, scissors, extension leads, cuddly toy ... And that's before I open the cupboards with cleaning stuff in.
None of it is what I'd consider to be the highest quality, but neither is it tat, a lot of it was bought over ten years ago.
Fair summary. It's middling at best in design and manufacture but it works and it's usable, and it lasts,
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #67 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:31:40 pm »
No1Daughter went in for a large wetsuit washing bucket and some superglue.
This was (checks) 23rd July.

« Reply #68 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:35:37 pm »
If you like gardening they had a 2 for 1 offer on Johnsons seeds.   But yes, the shelves are a bit bare. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #69 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:45:45 pm »
TV's Anja Popp was live on C4 News this evening outside my local Wilko which, she informed us, used to be occupied by a branch of Woolies.

ian

« Reply #70 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:03:48 pm »
Never been to one, though I may have contributed to Woolies’ demise through the volume of pick and mix we nicked as a teenagers.

« Reply #71 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:10:57 pm »
I went in our Wilkos today to get some spring onion seeds.

One side of the gardening section is now Hallowe’en…  :o :o :o :facepalm: :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #72 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:25:18 pm »
Ob:YACF

I bought a set of stainless steel biscuit/$BROWN_DRINK tins from Wilko's sometime shortly after the last ice age, following a post from The Blessed Charlotte about making your own wood gassification stove.

Naturally I never got round to making it and have mislaid part of the set.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #73 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:13:44 pm »
Wilko's has proven to be a very good source of many basic household staples.  If it closes in Rugby there will be quite a vacuum not currently catered for with the remaining retailers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 12 August, 2023, 01:27:06 am »
Ob:YACF

I bought a set of stainless steel biscuit/$BROWN_DRINK tins from Wilko's sometime shortly after the last ice age, following a post from The Blessed Charlotte about making your own wood gassification stove.

Naturally I never got round to making it and have mislaid part of the set.

AOL.

Actually, since at some point between the ice age and now I've acquired a drill press, it might be worth revisiting...