Author Topic: Wilko's going bust!  (Read 7748 times)

Re: Wilko's going bust!
« Reply #100 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:26:07 am »
Someone interviewed said that it was a blow to people who didn’t drive/own cars and couldn’t get to B&Q.

Ours is on a retail estate that was designed for cars - Clifton Moor.  It’s not far from B&Q.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #101 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:57:13 am »
Sad to see a High Street name with a Leicester origin going bust.

At least we still have Halfords to be proud of ;D
"Didn't you used to be Roger from Cyclemagic?"

« Reply #102 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:38:24 pm »
The company spent £60m on a warehouse modernisation programme that went wrong, lost £40m on foreign exchange deals and failed to raise enough cash from investors and banks to enable a restructure to cut rents to go through.
“Despite those problems you can’t explain why dividends were paid … [nor why] money sloshing around in trusts can’t be used to refund a pension scheme,” Byrne said.

Wilko’s former chair tells MPs she was devastated by collapse of retailer  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/28/wilko-lisa-wilkinson-mps-collapse-retailer
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #103 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:45:06 pm »
My local ex-Wilko has reopened as a Poundstretcher, i had a look in today, first one I've been in.  Anyone who thought Wilko's demise was a result of them going downmarket, should have a look in a Poundstretcher.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #104 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:23:15 pm »
The company spent £60m on a warehouse modernisation programme that went wrong, lost £40m on foreign exchange deals and failed to raise enough cash from investors and banks to enable a restructure to cut rents to go through.
“Despite those problems you can’t explain why dividends were paid … [nor why] money sloshing around in trusts can’t be used to refund a pension scheme,” Byrne said.

Wilko’s former chair tells MPs she was devastated by collapse of retailer  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/28/wilko-lisa-wilkinson-mps-collapse-retailer

She didn't seem that devastated on the C4 News coverage.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #105 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:27:17 am »
The R4 Today extracts suggest she got a good carpeting from the committee.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #106 on: 29 November, 2023, 05:31:41 pm »
The Range has a good selection of LED lamps that are branded Wilko; they're a bit cheaper than Home Bargains TAAAW.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #107 on: 04 December, 2023, 03:13:42 pm »
Expensive sites, low margins, probably already more competition than there are customers, plus the internet makes getting stuff delivered to your door quick and simple.

The cheap Amazon of the high street - insufficient volume for most of the time

Amazon took over my impulse purchases years ago. I don't see myself going back to actually browsing racks/shelves on the offchance.
Everyone's favourite windbreak