Author Topic: RIP Peter Sarstedt  (Read 1586 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
RIP Peter Sarstedt
« on: 08 January, 2017, 04:33:47 pm »
Here goes 2017...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: RIP Peter Sarstedt
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:46:58 pm »
Where do you go to my lovely" one of the best songs ever written.  Still makes me tingle when I hear it.  It prompted me to buy an LP (google it if you are under 40!). Unfortunately the LP didn't include the big hit, and the rest were, well, a bit moderate.

Bryn

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »
I think we can expect more, much more of this over the next few years.
It is sad.
But I think that over the next few years that follow, the curve will flatten out and similar news will be met with 'Who?'

Something to do with the ease with which 'celebs' are fabricated with these days.

F*ck me. I sound like an old fart  ;D

RIP Peter Sarstedt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:36:59 am »
I think we can expect more, much more of this over the next few years.
It is sad.
But I think that over the next few years that follow, the curve will flatten out and similar news will be met with 'Who?'

Something to do with the ease with which 'celebs' are fabricated with these days.

Some clever bugger who makes numbers sing for their suppers said as such on the wireless last year.  People, famous or otherwise, aren't dying at a significantly higher rate but those who are dying now are the ones whose rise to public prominence coincided with near-universal TV ownership.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2017, 11:57:27 am »
Many forumengers are in their 50s and idolised stars 10-20 years their senior, which means many stars are hitting their threescore years and ten.

Sex and drugs and rock'n'roll are not known for improving longevity...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2017, 05:28:32 pm »
Where do you go to my lovely" one of the best songs ever written.

I really don't get why it's so popular. It makes me cringe. Almost as bad as Imagine.

Sad news for all that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2017, 08:00:01 am »
Where did he go to?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:06:46 pm »
Where do you go to my lovely" one of the best songs ever written.
I really don't get why it's so popular. It makes me cringe. Almost as bad as Imagine.

Very much a product of its time, with a pleasing mix of topical references. And it's got a funny little chord change* between the verses that gives it its hook. At the time it probably stood out against the heaviness that was starting to creep into British rock and the puerility of mainstream pop. It's not as dire as Imagine, though.

*I think it's from G maj to G7 with some fiddly bits in-between. I can play it but I couldn't name the chords.

BTW, he also had two singing brothers. One, Robin, had a minor hit in the mid 70s. The other had some hits in the early 60s under name Eden Kane. Perhaps they were the BGs that never were.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?