Author Topic: (semi) Decent in-ear headphones  (Read 1677 times)

(semi) Decent in-ear headphones
« on: 05 February, 2021, 06:58:09 pm »
I would like some in-ear (earbud) style headphones, wired, for the ipod.  I really want the option to pause/play and adjust volume.  Ideally won't sound depressingly bad compared with my over the ear headphones.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: (semi) Decent in-ear headphones
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2021, 08:18:56 pm »
Any Sony ones really.Ive been using them for 30 years.

I don't use wired anymore, having gone pure Spotify. I've 2 pair of Bluetooth in ears, Jabra 75t (for running..because they are IP rated, and a very secure fit) and some Sony wf-1000xm3 which are not IP rated, not as secure a fit, but sound fantastic

If you can go Bluetooth it's worth it for the freedom.

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »
I have the Jabra’s for gym, and the Sonys for work, plus the over-ear Sonys too. Recommended.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2021, 03:17:39 am »
I think Bluetooth / true-wireless is handier nowadays. Better than getting tangled up with wires.
For cheaper options, check out the reviews on Scarbir. https://www.scarbir.com/

I have some Mpow Flame Pro for running. They have hooks over the ears to keep them in place. And have proper buttons for play, pause, volume etc.

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2021, 07:40:49 am »
Yes, the absence of wires is far better than I'd imagined.  One of those things where what seems like a small incremental change reveals itself to be massive if you try going back in the reverse direction. 

Yes, the 'phones I have weren't cheap, although I got the Sony wm1000's for £100, new, on ebay. The Jabras cost me £150 using a cashback site but are about £190 full price. Both have programmable buttons although the Sony are marginally more finicky to use. The Jabras are functionally amazing and the best thing about them is they are not Apple Airpods so you dont have to go around looking like you got interrupted halfway through cleaning the wax out of your ears.  I think the Sonys sound a bit better, a little more 'hi-fi', but not  this gets lost when combined with the sound of me grunting whilst running.  Both have noise cancelling, although I don't use it as I dont use them in noisy environments and NC uses battery power.  The Jabras in particular shut out noise very effectively, they also have a one-touch setting called 'Hear through' which activates microphones so you can hear what is going on. Can't remember if the Sonys have this.

« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2021, 10:56:00 am »
I use an iPod classic for music.  If one day I get a smartphone (with micro usb for all my music) I would be in the market for wireless headphones, but not now.

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2021, 11:14:16 am »
Yeah yeah, Sony mate, already told you,  now shush whilst fuaran and I are extolling the virtues of wireless please  ::-)

;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2021, 01:38:46 pm »

I have no intention of pushing fd3 in a direction has said he will not be going but I did want to show how simple it can be with an old non-bluetooth iPod.

« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2021, 04:57:10 pm »
Cheers for that roadrunner.  The downside for me would be cost of Bluetooth emitter on top of headphones and having to keep track of charging three things. Oh, and the high chance I would lose the earbuds if they aren’t attached.
It is an option if wires annoy me.

« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2021, 05:08:11 pm »
Sony wired. Even £40 ones will be good. Check out What hi-fi reviews.

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2021, 05:14:22 pm »
Panasonic RP-HJE125E-W, around £6 online, wired plain earbuds, no controls. L-shaped connector.

Sounds good, bargain price.

« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2021, 05:20:56 pm »
Forgot to say: Charging wireless buds is easy. They come in a tiny case that charges them. OTOH I think the Jabras run for 6 hours before needing charging. The case can charge them about 4 days before needing charging, so for me that means charging the case once a month. The Sony ones need more frequent charging.

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:00:30 pm »
An issue I have found is that the last two headphones I tried will play/pause/ffd with my ipod classic, but the volume control doesn't work.  interestingly it recognises that I am doing something with the volume (volume control shows up on screen) but I can't volume up/down - which is something I would like.
Is this likely to also be a problem if I go wireless? 

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:30:00 pm »
No it isn't. Most have a programmable button on each bud. So for example on my Jabras I have:
RHS:

continuous press +volume. 
single: pause
double press:advance track
triple press: rewind track

LHS:
continuous -volume
single: 'transparent' mode (ie external sounds) toggle on/off
double: can't remember what I've done, but can be anything you want such as answering call/hanging up etc
triple:  see above

The functionality is amazing

I am generally NOT an early adopter of new tech. I would not be without these now.

« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2021, 06:40:45 pm »
Good recommendation there, thanks.  Now I need something similar, but less than half the price! 

« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2021, 06:43:01 pm »
Try What Hi-Fi reviews

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:08:27 pm »
Can get wireless headphones with physical buttons on them. Maybe easier than trying to tap / double tap / triple tap etc, and remembering what combination does what.

Anyway check out Scarbir. Plenty of pretty decent options for £50 or less. Some of the Fiil models seem to be well rated.

« Reply #17 on: 06 March, 2021, 12:02:36 pm »
So, followed some of Flatus' suggestions and found headphones on what hi-fi.  Two sets of headphones later - both don't volume control my ipod classic - I'm going to try the wireless route.  I have found a set of bluetooth headphones so will see if they work with something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-iPod-Transmitter-Wirelessly-Headphones-Black/dp/B00M850EMO
and then consider which headphones to invest in (but as I won't be wfh it's less of an issue now).