Author Topic: Replacement microwave sought - advice/experience/opinion sought  (Read 2876 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Replacement microwave sought - advice/experience/opinion sought
« Reply #25 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:57:20 pm »
Hmm, I suppose a combo one would be good if it could automate the microwave-for-a-few-minutes-then-stick-it-in-the-oven approach to baked potatoes.  Barakta occasionally fails at potation by turning the oven on, microwaving the spud, failing to set a visual reminder and then wandering off.  Spud sits in the beeping microwave while the oven sits there using power.

« Reply #26 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:39:33 pm »
Many moons ago we were doing a house up and were reduced in the middle of the work to a standpipe in the kitchen for water and a large Samsung combi microwave oven for all our cooking. The Samsung was excellent and we had it years before donating to a friend who stuck it in the portacabin they use as a canteen at the two man engineering firm he runs. Last time I saw it it was still going strong over 20 years after we bought it.

If I was getting a stand-alone one now I think I would go for a combi just for jacket potatoes or pizza (it was brilliant at doing pizza) and for other things where the oven seems wasteful to fire up.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:50:48 pm »
ian goes to stare at the magic control panel. Hmm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:03:14 pm »
As I'm not safe with stove top cooking and prepare about half our meals, our microwave is used about two to three times a day.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #29 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:05:04 pm »
Thank you ALL for your responses.

Being somewhat anti-social and hidden away in the world (happily up a track in Wales), one's increasing indecision and its default prevalence oft leads to confusions about stuff and things.

But no matter what I post/enquire here on YACF, there are always encouraging and helpful responses.

Feels like a darned good and blissfully diverse family  :-*

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:37:52 pm »
Hmm, I suppose a combo one would be good if it could automate the microwave-for-a-few-minutes-then-stick-it-in-the-oven approach to baked potatoes.  Barakta occasionally fails at potation by turning the oven on, microwaving the spud, failing to set a visual reminder and then wandering off.  Spud sits in the beeping microwave while the oven sits there using power.
...by having difficulty with the bottle opener I'd expect.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.