Author Topic: PC wont boot with some USB devices plugged in  (Read 2340 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
PC wont boot with some USB devices plugged in
« on: 29 July, 2008, 06:50:52 am »
Stops during the BIOS POST.

I've just bought a big backup drive, and as a result reconfigured where everything is plugged in - so it could be any of the devices causing it.

I allow it to boot by unplugging the powered hub from the monitor (which is connected to the PC). Same problem exists if I plug the hub into the PC direct.

Any ideas (other than buying a PCI USB card which is my first inclination)

Re: PC wont boot with some USB devices plugged in
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2008, 07:51:02 am »
What spec is the USB?  I found that a USB1.1 couldn't cope with some powered hubs.   

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2008, 08:16:36 am »
it could be that your pc is set to boot from the usb, so when you have the drive plugged in it can't find an operating system - like in the olden days when you accidentally left a floppy in the drive.  To solve this, you should press F8 (this  may differ on  some computers) when the computer is first switched on to enter the multi-boot menu.  Once in the menu, change it to the hard drive.

tonycollinet

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »
Currently plugged into USB2 port. Boot from USB already disabled.

Never gets as far as trying to boot anyway. Stops during the power on self test. Also (now) doesn't matter if the drive is plugged in or not. Just having the hub with webcam and PDA connected to hub will stop it.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2008, 06:30:25 pm »
Ours doesn't like having an ipod plugged in on startup, would be interested to know how you get on.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2008, 06:50:31 pm »
Currently plugged into USB2 port. Boot from USB already disabled.

Never gets as far as trying to boot anyway. Stops during the power on self test. Also (now) doesn't matter if the drive is plugged in or not. Just having the hub with webcam and PDA connected to hub will stop it.

Sounds like the PSU is on it's way out, and the USB devices are drawing too much power at the point where nearly every last drop of electrickery is needed.  Find a friend that has a spare, working(important that bit :) ) PSU and swap it out, see if that fixes it
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tonycollinet

« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:14:17 pm »
Seems I have two separate problems.

1 - cheap USB2 hub - when  plugged in stops the POST just after NVRAM Check (ie right at the beginning)

2 - new drive when plugged in stops PC booting after checking the 4 fitted drives (2 HD's and 2 DVD drives)

Previously this was solved by connecting the USB hub to a powered hub within the old external drive - this had no problems.

tonycollinet

« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
OK - some progress.

I've tried every BIOS setting known to man - no improvement. I don't think it is a power issue, cos the cheapo hub on its own will take 2/10 of sod all - plus it still fails even if powered. However if I connect my old external drive which has a USB out on it - then plug the the cheapo hub to that, then the new drive to the hub it all works.

It looks like this (in devices by connection)

So we have the USB root hub in the PC. The first generic hub is inside the old (WD) external drive. This feeds the old drive itself (USB composite device) AND the second generic hub (the cheapo). The new drive (maxtor) is plugged into the cheapo hub.

Like this all is OK.

Either the new drive, or the cheapo hub direct into the PC cocks it all up.

I am assuming the generic hub inside the WD drive is buffering everything. I am therefore assuming that if I get a decent powered hub then this should work as well.

Question is - should I just use this as an excuse to get the new PC I've been promising myself and consign this one to an internet terminal for the family  :demon: ;D :thumbsup: