Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575841 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12925 on: 17 February, 2021, 10:16:13 pm »
Please tell me that includes colour as well?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12926 on: 17 February, 2021, 10:56:03 pm »
During lockdown 1 my brother's wife got my brother to cut her hair . . . using the clippers she uses for her HORSE (I understand that she did boil them first) . .  the result wsn't that bad considering.

Does she like sugar cubes?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12927 on: 17 February, 2021, 11:59:57 pm »
“Panny”?  A Scottishism that hasn’t yet crept into Tartan Noir?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #12928 on: 18 February, 2021, 09:39:17 am »
Please tell me that includes colour as well?

No, she's still studiously not noticing the grey bits like they might get fed up with being ignored and move on to bother someone else. I don't think it works like that.

I have no idea what her process involves, the last time I paid for a haircut was, I think, in early 2000s and cost me £5 at Mr Topper's* off Tottenham Court Road.

*shave my head, said the drunk person. Sure, said they. I basically went to the bar in a nearby pub and thought, hmm, wouldn't it be cool if I came back bald. So I did. The thing about shaving your head is that then everyone else has to pretend not to notice. When my flatmate in Edinburgh shaved her head, we all pretended not to notice for six entire months; when Crazy Mary Boss used to whisk off her wig when the waiter was turned, they only had to hold out for the rest of the meal.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12929 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:37:10 pm »

Well Google failed me, I couldn't find it in any Scots dictionary.
My definition leans towards something a bit wet, a bit cissy, a bit frou frou.
Pingu, when asked, just plumped for "crap".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12930 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:07:08 pm »
I cut my hair myself about two weeks ago. Just snipped off a few ends and shaved the fluffy bits at the back of my neck, blind. "It looks exactly the same" they said. "Not the point!" I replied. "It feels entirely different. It doesn't tickle my ears now."

I'm almost tempted to follow one of ian's bald people but a) cold, b) my name isn't Mary Boss, or even Hugo.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #12931 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:32:15 pm »
I cut my hair myself about two weeks ago. Just snipped off a few ends and shaved the fluffy bits at the back of my neck, blind. "It looks exactly the same" they said. "Not the point!" I replied. "It feels entirely different. It doesn't tickle my ears now."

I'm almost tempted to follow one of ian's bald people but a) cold, b) my name isn't Mary Boss, or even Hugo.

Mary Hugo? Never heard of him.

« Reply #12932 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:51:48 pm »
"Not the point!" I replied. "It feels entirely different. It doesn't tickle my ears now."

This is how I know I need a haircut.  My ears get tickled and my head does not feel right.  A bit like fingernails and knowing when they need cutting

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12933 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:55:02 pm »

Mary Hugo? Never heard of him.

Surely everyone knows Hary Mugo!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12934 on: 18 February, 2021, 06:51:05 pm »
I thought 100 quid for a cut & colour was getting extreme but then my preferred stylist moved from the superwanky salon to somewhere a bit less up itself so that knocked about a tenner off.

I just gave my fringe a cut to give the rest of it time to grow to a length Pingu can deal with. Unfortunately I managed to cut a big slice in the pad of my middle finger and a smaller one in my index finger. So now I've had to order Deliveroo for tea lest I bleed all over the kitchen.

ian

« Reply #12935 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:28:58 pm »
Central London prices, innit.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12936 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:38:24 pm »
So I’ve just been to rescue my son from a lack of trains due Covid related timetable alterations only to return to,find that the G&T I had just started to enjoy before I left had been consumed by another resident of the house! 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

fuzzy

« Reply #12937 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:49:08 pm »
So I’ve just been to rescue my son from a lack of trains due Covid related timetable alterations only to return to,find that the G&T I had just started to enjoy before I left had been consumed by another resident of the house!

Minesweeping your G&T? Scandalous behaviour.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12938 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:57:31 pm »

Minesweeping your G&T? Scandalous behaviour.
I know, right. And I was on an errand of mercy and everything. I even had to go and mix my own replacement.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12939 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:23:18 pm »
Arrange to buy some camera bits from four different people across London.  Informed the people that I would be cycling and my plan was either sunday or monday or wednesday, you know lock down so I was using my excercise and trust that the bits worked.  Contacted the people this evening and everything seems to be sold and yet the adverts are still there on gumtree.

« Reply #12940 on: 25 February, 2021, 10:48:29 am »
Ikea!

You make curtains in a nice 300cm drop available to (from what I can tell, browsing international versions of the website) most of the world. Except we lucky people in the UK get 250cm drop instead. Why? ??? It's not as if there's a shortage of old houses with high ceilings in this country.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12941 on: 25 February, 2021, 10:50:46 am »
Our wretched bank now thinks it's a good idea to have ads for their various services changing every 4 seconds on one half of the screen while you're trying to concentrate on your account in the other half.  Bloody bubbleheads.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #12942 on: 25 February, 2021, 01:54:37 pm »
T42, that sounds dire! I complain at my bank regularly for their shitty access fails on online banking. They have finally got rid of the nasty "can we help you" bubble which obscured half the useful bits of the page cos I use a high zoom.

Moving shit would be a "oh hai, remove it in 24hrs or I issue legal proceedings you fucknuggets" level of explode from me. I can't read if stuff is moving in my vision at all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12943 on: 25 February, 2021, 02:12:23 pm »
I sent them a message from their Contact page with a request to forward it to the idiots who run the website. Whether it'll get there or not is anybody's guess, ditto whether they'll do anything.

« Reply #12944 on: 01 March, 2021, 03:24:57 pm »
MrsC wanted a new, large frying pan.
She ordered one, with brief confer with me "that seems large", "We'll be able to cook all the arepa we want in a single go."

Pan arrives. It is huge. Mrs Godzilla could use it to flatten Mr Godzilla - and then cook his ribs afterwards.

It is also dented - thick, thick aluminium dinged in for a good 10cm and scratched up.  Packaging was two thin layers of plastic, no padding.
 >:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12945 on: 01 March, 2021, 11:03:52 pm »
In unrelated news: Godzilla has a headache after a run-in with $shite_courier.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12946 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:23:20 am »
Last Friday, phoned vet to order canine levothyroxin for one of our dogs then drove in on Monday to pick it up. While there, picked up some prednisolone to treat a bronchitic cough.  Surprised today to find out that the insurance has only reimbursed us for the levothyroxin: the vet's idiot technician had already shot the invoice for it off to the insurance when I ordered it, then done a separate invoice & insurance submission for the prednisolone, the cost of which was less than our excess so it wasn't reimbursed.  If both had been on the same invoice we'd be 60€ richer today. :(

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12947 on: 05 March, 2021, 08:07:29 pm »

Well Google failed me, I couldn't find it in any Scots dictionary.
My definition leans towards something a bit wet, a bit cissy, a bit frou frou.
Pingu, when asked, just plumped for "crap".

Pani? Water, wet?
https://dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/pani

Or Penny - multiple derivations possible, cheap?
https://dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/penny

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12948 on: 05 March, 2021, 10:44:56 pm »
Neither of those.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12949 on: 06 March, 2021, 08:54:36 am »
A Jacobite version of the French panné, meaning "coated with egg & breadcrumbs then fried"?

Funny thing to do with dolls, though.