Author Topic: Branding  (Read 2239 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Branding
« on: 31 July, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »
There have been teams of lawyers stopping companies all round the country from using the names they have been known by for years.  Seems they may have missed some.  If you do spot any, such as these scaffolders near Euston Road, please do post them.  I don't think that the IOC or LOCOG legal team read this forum.

Getting there...

Re: Branding
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »
No picture, but the obvious one to me is the Olympic Breakfast in Little Chef.

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:59:06 am »
At the Olympic Park yesterday I saw a tow truck (looked as if it was on standby).
Owned by a firm called Olympic Recovery!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »

They fought that one, and LC won. But they weren't allowed to use Daley Thompson in adverts!

However, a loophole means Little Chef can use the Olympic Breakfast brand as it was in use before the first Act came into effect. But using an Olympian for advertising it is banned.

The chain is reconsidering its options after receiving a letter from London 2012 legal manager Alex Kelham last week. She told Little Chef: "If the voice is introduced as an Olympian, or is distinctive enough to be recognisable as such, The London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games is likely to object to this."
http://www.the2012londonolympics.com/forum/london-2012-olympics-banter/8683-daley-thompson-banned-promoting-little-chefs-olympic-breakfast.html#post10329
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2012, 12:17:55 pm »

They fought that one, and LC won. But they weren't allowed to use Daley Thompson in adverts!

However, a loophole means Little Chef can use the Olympic Breakfast brand as it was in use before the first Act came into effect. But using an Olympian for advertising it is banned.

The chain is reconsidering its options after receiving a letter from London 2012 legal manager Alex Kelham last week. She told Little Chef: "If the voice is introduced as an Olympian, or is distinctive enough to be recognisable as such, The London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games is likely to object to this."
http://www.the2012londonolympics.com/forum/london-2012-olympics-banter/8683-daley-thompson-banned-promoting-little-chefs-olympic-breakfast.html#post10329

It would be interesting to see if Thompson would have a case with restraint of trade there, as he is being discriminated against for being an olympian.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2012, 12:33:17 pm »
Ridiculous. So the IOC owns Daley Thompson forever and can prevent him from doing what he likes for the rest of his life?

Does that go for any other sports person who is known mainly for the Olympics?

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone taking part in the O has to sign an agreement to never mention the O without permission.

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »
33 results on yell.com, including some official offices.
Looks like the legislation has scared off most people thinking of using the Olympic brand for the duration. Its not worth the hassle of lawyers etc unles you have a pretty strong prior useage case as per Little Chef.
I read that one of the BBC team had an umbrella confiscated because it had a golfing brand name on it.
So far no reported flash mobs either , unless you count Critical Mass  on Friday night.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »
I was pleased to note that, despite the expense of stickers over the logos on hand driers, the Pinarellos, Cervelos etc in the TT were allowed to display their names.
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »
33 results on yell.com, including some official offices.
Looks like the legislation has scared off most people thinking of using the Olympic brand for the duration. Its not worth the hassle of lawyers etc unles you have a pretty strong prior useage case as per Little Chef.
I read that one of the BBC team had an umbrella confiscated because it had a golfing brand name on it.
So far no reported flash mobs either , unless you count Critical Mass  on Friday night.

Like the various Greek cafes?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium