Author Topic: Knock,knock...  (Read 2425 times)

Knock,knock...
« on: 29 May, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
Please may I enter these hallowed halls, now that I am the owner of one of these fixed wheel velocipedes?

I've taken the plunge in an attempt to strengthen up my legs primarily, and also with an eye on winter hackage.

I've got one of these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-track-13 and will be running it in fixed mode from the off, using the suppplied 42 x 16 as a starter.

red marley

Re: Knock,knock...
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »
Have fun!

About 10 years ago, I did much the same, thinking I'd use it for commuting and maybe a bit of winter riding. I've hardly ridden a geared bike since.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2013, 10:49:33 pm »
Come in :).

I'm still not quite sure how to put into words why I ride fixed, but I do it because I enjoy it. If you like it, it may become a habit. At best it's not an expensive habit ;) .

Meanwhile I revert to gears if the terrain is hilly, or if I'm carrying heavy loads, or, more recently, if old age problems require an invalid carriage for a month or three.

hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2013, 02:34:43 pm »
Ding Dong.  Another guest.

Rebuilt my Pompino with the intention of using it for a few randonees and commuting over winter.  Had it out for a spin to make sure all was working.  I'd forgotten how smooth riding fixed could feel when you are on a slight decline or with a tailwind.  And what a bitch it can be when you hit a slope with double digit gradient.

« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2013, 06:51:25 pm »
As the years roll on i've now settled for a 3 speed fixed as I don't want to loose the fixie feel.

O.K not for absolute purists, but needs must - I find it rides well - some slack chain feel, but with my new bike on 48x18 it gives me 72/54/45.

Richard.

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2013, 12:06:27 am »
... what a bitch it can be when you hit a slope with double digit gradient.

Up *or* down ...

« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2013, 12:17:44 am »
Of course a proper fixed is built from your old road frame (doesn't work if your old road frame is later than the 70s). 43x17 here and still climbing Devon hills (most of 'em) at three score.

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »
Of course a proper fixed is built from your old road frame (doesn't work if your old road frame is later than the 70s). 43x17 here and still climbing Devon hills (most of 'em) at three score.

Only works if the bottom bracket is high enough, though. The frame I previously used (built for 27" wheels) had too low a bottom bracket for comfort. The modern frame I replaced it with has no such problem (I can go up and down kerbs with it, which I wouldn't have dared do on the other one). If I wanted to covert an old road frame again, I'd want to choose very carefully.