Author Topic: Replacement bike advice  (Read 2058 times)

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
Replacement bike advice
« on: 23 December, 2014, 04:45:42 pm »
I have finally been paid for the damage and injuries I suffered in Nov 2013 and so I can finally replace the bike that was damaged.

I have decided to get another fixed and quite fancy disc brakes, the choice seems to be a Cotic Escapade which has front and rear discs or a Pompino with a disc fork and cantilever rear brakes.

I think the Pomp will be the best choice, I live on the edge of the Mendips and so have to brake quite a lot on descents, the front disc can take care of most if this. I also think it will be easier get replacement rear fixed wheels, I can't seem to see any that have disc hubs. I know that disc hubs are available but I am not a wheel builder and so I need to be able to buy complete wheels.

Any alternative suggestions or comments on the above would be welcome.

Re: Replacement bike advice
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »
Could be a good excuse to start building your own wheels - Surly hubs are quite nice. Or buy one and chuck it at your friendly local bike shop to build into a wheel.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2014, 06:30:37 pm »
Worth a look at Genesis Day One Disc. I think it has a screw on singlespeed freewheel, so should be easy to convert to fixed.

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:56:56 pm »
You're welcome to come and use the workshop and I'll help you building some wheels.

LeFlic

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:04:14 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, I would like to learn how to build wheels but I think that may be a long term project!

I will keep looking over Christmas and will then decide , I want to be riding it as soon as I can. I am hoping it will strengthen my lower back which is still causing a lot of problems for me.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »
I've recently built up a 21st century fixie [old'un is a 1950's Parkes...] with my own choice of kit* on a Genesis 853 Day One disc frame [the Di2 version - half price in sale...] Pictures [eventually] when I've finished playing around with the final touches. I've done 3 200s on it and it performed very well, just not a big fan of Shimano press-fit bottom brackets, due to intermittent creaks - Hope's finest on order....

* inc lovely Surly fixed disc hubs, with stainless steel track nuts, TRP Spyre double push brakes seem decent stoppers too.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »
I quite like the surly straggler but it's expensive

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2014, 07:52:57 pm »
Is the On-One Pompetamine still available? It doesn't seem to be listed on their website.
It looked like a good option for fixed with discs, and was pretty cheap.

LeFlic

« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2014, 06:52:37 pm »
I looked for a Pompetine but like you found it is no longer listed.

I think. Pompino on the solution to this problem.