Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 190909 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #1075 on: 21 March, 2016, 03:34:40 pm »
HPL? You really are living it up since moving north. You do own a canoe ?
I may just get to one or two rides and  Wednesday is o.k by me .
Bags be back marker as I am seriously unfit at mo.

« Reply #1076 on: 21 March, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »
Wednesdays is fine!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1077 on: 21 March, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »
HPL? You really are living it up since moving north. You do own a canoe ?
I may just get to one or two rides and  Wednesday is o.k by me .
Bags be back marker as I am seriously unfit at mo.

Only if I don't get there for the odd soirée . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #1078 on: 22 March, 2016, 12:49:53 pm »
Title now changed to suit the new night.

Not this week, nor next (as I am needed at the office on Wednesday/Thursday with the possibility of OOH on Weds), but starting 5/4.

Usual place, usual time (Deano, does that time work for you?).  PM me if you can't remember where that is/have never been to THoFC.

Shall work out a destination.

A couple dates of note:

20th April - I won't be available as I will have to get up stupidly early, the next day to fly to Catalonia
27th April - I don't get back until 29th, so I won't be about this night.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1079 on: 22 March, 2016, 05:03:53 pm »
The train (there can be only one) arrives NTR 18:40. Is that close enough to usual time and place??

« Reply #1080 on: 22 March, 2016, 05:07:40 pm »
That's be fine by me. I can do loops of Bullamoor, or (more likely) sit on the couch and drink coffee.

« Reply #1081 on: 22 March, 2016, 05:14:56 pm »
The train (there can be only one) arrives NTR 18:40. Is that close enough to usual time and place??

How about a more local run next week? Yarm or farther east? Lanterne rouge might be out for a pint if it's fairly local to Saltburn.

« Reply #1082 on: 22 March, 2016, 07:10:20 pm »
I up for joining you. It doesn't need to be towards Saltburn. I'm happy to go further afield. ;D

tiermat

« Reply #1083 on: 22 March, 2016, 08:12:34 pm »

As near as dammit is to swearing. Yes.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1084 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:04:26 pm »
I up for joining you. It doesn't need to be towards Saltburn. I'm happy to go further afield. ;D

Next Wednesday good for you? I'm relying on your knowledge of the good boozers, mind.

« Reply #1085 on: 28 March, 2016, 04:19:47 pm »
Wednesday 30th March:

Meet at around 6.30 at the Pot and Glass, Egglescliffe, just north of Yarm and about a mile south of Eaglescliffe station:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1077004-d5453758-Reviews-Pot_Glass-Yarm_North

Easy access via the path leading from Yarm road bridge just past the BlueBell pub up to the church. At top of path turn right pub on right after 100 or so metres.

Hope that suits everyone - we can make it up from there, maybe have a bike ride or maybe just go our separate ways home.

Attending:

Me
ChrisS
boab
lanterne rouge

« Reply #1086 on: 28 March, 2016, 08:17:51 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #1087 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:51:21 pm »
(Is Egglesciffe really within the environs of Northallerton? And how is Egglescliffe different from Eaglescliffe, apart from the spelling? And why is it spelt differently?)

Good turn-out in the end, so thanks everyone. The skies were amazing on the way over, I cursed myself for not having a camera, then just enjoyed the view. The Tees Valley can be like the Midwest for real big skies at times.

I was about an hour and a half early so I called in at the Costa on Yarm High Street, where the staff are so bonkers-enthusiastic that they must be angling for an award, or a slot on the local news. I heard a couple of lads on their way out mutter "they just get minimum wage, don't they?". My cappuccino had chocolate stormtroopers in the froth.

I eventually found the pub after a full tour of Egglescliffe, and Chris S was already there. Boab and lanterne rouge turned up, and we decided against a bike ride as we all had bike rides home, which was just as well, as Ruthie, mcshroom and Graeme then turned up. Some other cyclists turned up later, and we gave each other long looks. In our case, it was the possibility that they were other random cyclists off the internet who'd caught the word, and in their case, they were probably wondering where the fuck all the bikes had come from. They pegged us for cyclists straightaway, and I reckon it was Graeme's Cambridge Student Chic that really signposted it.

I nearly forgot to pay for my meal, too, Actually, I did forget, but my shamefaced honesty when the landlord shouted up that there was one meal unpaid must've been genuine enough not to cause any friction. It was the cheapest meal anyone bought, too :-[ Flying the flag for cheapskate cyclists everywhere! It was a good pub, and a good night. 

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1088 on: 31 March, 2016, 10:06:21 am »
Thanks for organising this.

It was brilliant to ride over via Neasham with Mcshroom and Ruthie, beautiful evening sunshine and gently rolling hills. The Pot and Glass is a favourite of mine from my toytown days as it serves good ale.

Really splendid evening with Ruthie, 'Shroom, Lantern, Deano, fboab and ChrisS.

Does this event always have to be in the same place and on the same day? Routine can be a useful tool but an awful master. If this was a movable feast type event it might make it more accessible to a range of attendees.

Thanks again - it was a great night.

tiermat

« Reply #1089 on: 31 March, 2016, 10:10:06 am »
Thanks for organising this.

It was brilliant to ride over via Neasham with Mcshroom and Ruthie, beautiful evening sunshine and gently rolling hills. The Pot and Glass is a favourite of mine from my toytown days as it serves good ale.

Really splendid evening with Ruthie, 'Shroom, Lantern, Deano, fboab and ChrisS.

Does this event always have to be in the same place and on the same day? Routine can be a useful tool but an awful master. If this was a movable feast type event it might make it more accessible to a range of attendees.

Thanks again - it was a great night.

I am really sad I missed it :(

Unfortunately work kept me in Sheffield, last night, and it looks like I will be there again tonight :( :(

In answer to your question, no there is no hard and fast day it has to be on (though I have had to move stuff around so I can do Wednesday night and it is, possibly the only night I can do during the week).  There is nothing at all stopping it being organised for another night, though I will be, still, organising Wednesdays.

Talking of which, next Wednesday!!!! :)

I shall have a think and work out where we are going and give details, probably nearer the time due to weather/wind direction etc...

tiermat

« Reply #1090 on: 04 April, 2016, 06:54:52 pm »
Fine, lightish wind, from the west.

Where to go? Scorton? Mrs T's brother will be joining us!

« Reply #1091 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:05:48 pm »
(Is Egglesciffe really within the environs of Northallerton? And how is Egglescliffe different from Eaglescliffe, apart from the spelling? And why is it spelt differently?)

Good turn-out in the end, so thanks everyone. The skies were amazing on the way over, I cursed myself for not having a camera, then just enjoyed the view. The Tees Valley can be like the Midwest for real big skies at times.

I was about an hour and a half early so I called in at the Costa on Yarm High Street, where the staff are so bonkers-enthusiastic that they must be angling for an award, or a slot on the local news. I heard a couple of lads on their way out mutter "they just get minimum wage, don't they?". My cappuccino had chocolate stormtroopers in the froth.

I eventually found the pub after a full tour of Egglescliffe, and Chris S was already there. Boab and lanterne rouge turned up, and we decided against a bike ride as we all had bike rides home, which was just as well, as Ruthie, mcshroom and Graeme then turned up. Some other cyclists turned up later, and we gave each other long looks. In our case, it was the possibility that they were other random cyclists off the internet who'd caught the word, and in their case, they were probably wondering where the fuck all the bikes had come from. They pegged us for cyclists straightaway, and I reckon it was Graeme's Cambridge Student Chic that really signposted it.

I nearly forgot to pay for my meal, too, Actually, I did forget, but my shamefaced honesty when the landlord shouted up that there was one meal unpaid must've been genuine enough not to cause any friction. It was the cheapest meal anyone bought, too :-[ Flying the flag for cheapskate cyclists everywhere! It was a good pub, and a good night.

That's got me smiling like an idiot, which wouldn't be so bad were I not sat in the library opposite some rather attractive ladypeople.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1092 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:37:05 pm »
Fine, lightish wind, from the west.

Where to go? Scorton? Mrs T's brother will be joining us!

The Station House in Durham is a nice.

« Reply #1093 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:03:27 pm »
Early bid for Scorton. I've to be at work at 8 (ish) the next day.

« Reply #1094 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:05:55 pm »

That's got me smiling like an idiot, which wouldn't be so bad were I not sat in the library opposite some rather attractive ladypeople.

Not so much a faux pas as an opportunity...?

« Reply #1095 on: 05 April, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
Is there a plan? I am in Redcar for the dentist tomorrow afternoon so may well *gasp* break the Dry January thing when the anaesthetic wears off...

Scorton is surely Too Far onna school night for us. Are there Train Assist possibilities back?

« Reply #1096 on: 05 April, 2016, 10:19:05 pm »
Scorton-Darlo and Scorton-Northallerton are about the same distance, so pick yer trains.

Hornby's a nice run, has a decent pub (me and my mate went and checked it out in January, that's how much I care), but probably won't work for tiermat.

tiermat

« Reply #1097 on: 06 April, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »
 :'( Really sorry, guys but I am going to have to bail.

Losing the contract I was on (due to them pulling the plug on the project), then having to drive home, from Sheffield and back to Nottingham, then back home has just killed me...

Once again, sorry

« Reply #1098 on: 06 April, 2016, 05:21:14 pm »
I'm feeling far too post-dentist to want to play out, sorry  :-[

« Reply #1099 on: 06 April, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
Well, I had a lovely ride ;)

I didn't get the message about the cancellation, turned up at tiermat's and woke him (possibly), demanded coffee, then rode home without visiting a single pub, dammit.

Better luck next week, guys, but you'll have to manage without me as I'll be in the Lakes.