Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1605478 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12250 on: 03 July, 2020, 03:55:00 pm »
Arse!  Blew out a candle , then turned around & knocked it over.   Wax splatters on 2 different rugs & the laminate floor.   Guess what I'm cleaning tomorrow  >:(

That'll teach you not to perform the Rite of AshkEnte the old-fashioned way - it works with  three small sticks and 4 cc of mouse blood or even with a fresh egg and two small sticks.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12251 on: 03 July, 2020, 11:46:22 pm »
If you are using your arse to blow out a candle is that not risking an explosion?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12252 on: 04 July, 2020, 07:13:04 am »
A small flash fire at worst. Ive never modelled it, but t would take a fair few farts and a degree of congestion to achieve a run up to detonation.

I don't think the farting is the riskiest bit of the ritual
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12253 on: 06 July, 2020, 08:37:23 am »
I've got a hangnail on my right index finger.   It keeps catching so I've put a plaster on it.     That's my scrolling finger,  it's now awkward to use either a mouse or a trackpad  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12254 on: 06 July, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »
Spent a chunk of the afternoon scrabbling round for the bits to resurrect my old (pre-2010) PC so as to use an ancient development language my current box has taken a scunner against. Finally switched on around 5:30: screen sync skew-whiff with fetching green blobs here & there, barely legible aaargh messages imparting that the CMOS battery has quit.  Well of course it has. Arse.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12255 on: 06 July, 2020, 05:22:02 pm »
I've got a hangnail on my right index finger.   It keeps catching so I've put a plaster on it.     That's my scrolling finger,  it's now awkward to use either a mouse or a trackpad  :facepalm:

I had to google to find out what a hangnail is.  Fortunately something that I have never suffered.

Apparently you can soften them up and trim the protruding skin only if that helps.  Warm soapy water or petroleum jelly apparently.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12256 on: 06 July, 2020, 05:34:20 pm »

I bought a cuticle nipper and my life was transformed. I don't use it for manicures, just trimming those bits that turn into hangnails.
No more trying to pull off the bit of skin snd instantly regretting it...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12257 on: 06 July, 2020, 06:05:32 pm »
Bike prices rising faster than my n+1 bike fund (yes, even second hand).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #12258 on: 06 July, 2020, 06:25:00 pm »

I bought a cuticle nipper and my life was transformed. I don't use it for manicures, just trimming those bits that turn into hangnails.
No more trying to pull off the bit of skin snd instantly regretting it...

I have a finger tip where due to eczema the skin gets tough then cracks open (ouch), in just the wrong place for using a keyboard.

Then I remembered you can superglue cuts together, so now when my fingertip cracks I put a little dab of superglue on to stop the crack opening. Works a treat.

GC

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12259 on: 06 July, 2020, 06:53:11 pm »
Quote from: Ginger Cat
Then I remembered you can superglue cuts together, so now when my fingertip cracks I put a little dab of superglue on to stop the crack opening. Works a treat.
Also works for knuckles.  DAHIKT.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #12260 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:56:08 pm »
I once jokingly told my dentist I'd thought of supergluing a broken filling back in.

He told me superglue contains arsenic.

fuzzy

« Reply #12261 on: 06 July, 2020, 11:04:50 pm »
Bike prices rising faster than my n+1 bike fund (yes, even second hand).
Had a customer today interested in a Domane SLR7 Di2. Retail £6400 and we have one in stock in his size. He asked if we could do a deal and I told him (only half in jest) that yes, we could do a deal. He can have it for £6600 as we won't have trouble selling it ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12262 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:30:52 am »
I once jokingly told my dentist I'd thought of supergluing a broken filling back in.

He told me superglue contains arsenic.

Not 100% about that but superglues generally contain cyanoacrylate ester...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

« Reply #12263 on: 07 July, 2020, 07:25:12 am »
Its the cyanoacrylate that reacts with the moisture in the air. I did some consulting work for a company in Fife that controlled something like a third of the worlds supply of superglue at the time through one of the sub ingredients

ian

« Reply #12264 on: 07 July, 2020, 09:41:42 am »
Acrylates are a suspected carcinogen, but then everything is, and it's probably based on one of those studies where they dropped a 50kg sack on some rats and found many of them dead.

ElyDave

« Reply #12265 on: 07 July, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »
swmbo used the phrase "something wth no risk" today, and took umbrage when I suggested "do nothing"  Can't think why? She knows what I do for a living. ;D

« Reply #12266 on: 08 July, 2020, 11:22:02 am »
Why can’t Herts libraries get their act together. Let us select our own books for reading, not someone else’s idea of a “book pack”.

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/about-the-council/news/news-archive/hertfordshire-libraries-launch-ready-reads
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12267 on: 08 July, 2020, 12:09:13 pm »
In Bristol we're being trusted to choose our own books from the online catalogue but there's also a "book pack" style scheme; tell them what you like reading and they'll choose things they consider suitable. It sounds a reasonably good idea for those who like to go in and browse but if that's the only option, it's rather restrictive. And how come we can't go in and browse the shelves of libraries but can do so in bookshops?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12268 on: 08 July, 2020, 01:07:08 pm »
It’s the choice of the council, so I’d guess it’s playing it ultra safe in not opening the libraries fully. The Herts scheme initially is for three libraries, then perhaps 10 more, but as we’re on the extreme western edge of the county (we’re actually in Bucks, but getting to Aylesbury library is a loathsome experience ETA; All Bucks libraries have reopened to some degree)  I suspect Tring will be amongst the last, it it ever reopens. But what I don’t get is why can’t we return our borrowed books (we’ve about a dozen at home) and collect our outstanding reservations? Why some pre-determined “books like this” chosen by others, and no doubt most of which I’ll have already read if I like them? Bah!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12269 on: 08 July, 2020, 04:54:56 pm »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
...how come we can't go in and browse the shelves of libraries but can do so in bookshops?
My guess?  Councils have less money than bookshops and can't afford the cost keeping the public spaces and surfaces "clean".  A more cynical thought is that because of the funding cuts to councils they are going to use the, "But no one was using it." excuse to close them permanently, but I may be being unduly jaundiced in my view of things.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12270 on: 08 July, 2020, 05:10:02 pm »
...how come we can't go in and browse the shelves of libraries but can do so in bookshops?
My guess?  Councils have less money than bookshops and can't afford the cost keeping the public spaces and surfaces "clean".  A more cynical thought is that because of the funding cuts to councils they are going to use the, "But no one was using it." excuse to close them permanently, but I may be being unduly jaundiced in my view of things.

I suspect it's also because library books will "travel" through many homes and be handled by many people. How long the virus might persist on them is a different question, but playing safe is cheaper.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12271 on: 08 July, 2020, 05:13:02 pm »

I suspect it's also because library books will "travel" through many homes and be handled by many people. How long the virus might persist on them is a different question, but playing safe is cheaper.

The books will be “quarantined” for 72 hours. I’d be inclined to surmise book shops are private enterprise and non-unionised. But I may be equally as jaundiced in my views as Lurker.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12272 on: 08 July, 2020, 06:24:35 pm »

Libraries are hotbeds of subversion.  If the Tories shut them down then the proles won't get to read about the Labour Theory of Value and the storming of the Winter Palace.  Or something.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12273 on: 08 July, 2020, 07:29:30 pm »
If they let people into the library, they might use the computers to jump through DWP hoops and avoid having their benefits sanctioned.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12274 on: 09 July, 2020, 10:57:44 am »
If they let people into the library, they might use the computers to jump through DWP hoops and avoid having their benefits sanctioned.

Which in turn would lead to a shortfall in the Daily Heil's quota of outraged stories about benefit claimants owning smartphones.  And that would never do.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime