Author Topic: Carol Boardman, RIP  (Read 14685 times)

Chris S

Re: Carol Boardman, RIP
« Reply #25 on: 21 July, 2016, 09:54:06 am »
For this brave enough to go exploring the murky depths at the bottom of the gene pool, the vile Keith Peat has been quick to gloat  http://www.driveeastmidlands.com.

Ironic that the layout of this blog is itself, something of a car crash. Forget the content (which takes some effort to follow) - it's just a mess.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 21 July, 2016, 11:01:28 am »
I tried to ignore it, but that blog just pulls you in; some bits are hilarious. Here is how he has used the incident where Chris Froome crashed into the back of an official TourDeFrance moto, as evidence for the menace cyclists pose:

Road Race Cycling is unique in that there is no entrance fee for spectators, unlike other major sports and entertainment events because they are held on long stretches of public road where it isn't possible to control the public.

What these cyclists forget is, that they are riding vehicles on public roads and that it is their duty to avoid accidents and for their self protection too.

The principle must be that others must come first and only ride at a speed and distance at which you are able to stop safely. The motorcyclist clearly did exactly that.

These cyclists, including Froome, failed to apply those rules despite very close and confined conditions which included many members of the public.     

This crash happened because cyclists were cycling too fast and dangerously among public on public roads. It really is that simple.

It's a race, dude!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:08:12 pm »
it defies belief, utter rubbish and totally biased.
we will all carry on riding in remembrance of Carol RIP

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #28 on: 21 July, 2016, 05:35:40 pm »
It's hard to know what to say about that - so I'll do it in smilies-  >:( >:(   :facepalm: :facepalm: :sick: :sick:

He's a 'regular cyclist' of course  ::-) 

http://www.driversunion.co

Look at the 'team' - all three of them  ::-)

I wish I could unsee all that.

(Well it's very popular apparently ... https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/5305)

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #29 on: 21 July, 2016, 09:57:35 pm »
Keith occasionally posts on comment sections of peoples blogs, he's so deluded I'm pretty sure we should be getting him some help it's as if he is short of all of his marbles.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #30 on: 21 July, 2016, 10:32:52 pm »

Can't even be arsed to raise a comment to this deluded moron.

« Reply #31 on: 22 July, 2016, 08:15:37 am »
Keith occasionally posts on comment sections of peoples blogs, he's so deluded I'm pretty sure we should be getting him some help it's as if he is short of all of his marbles.
The footer on his website

© 2023 by Name of Template.

Hilarious. He's like the David Brent of bloggers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #32 on: 22 July, 2016, 10:15:23 am »
Yes, he's not worth spending too many thoughts on - though his blog did suck me in yesterday as Mattc commented - strangely compelling in a morbid fascination type way.

Him and Godfrey Bloom (FFS) - they're not going to be shaking the foundations of our transportation policy any time soon.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #33 on: 22 July, 2016, 01:18:13 pm »
I just feel sorry for the person who has to clean his keyboard  :sick:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #34 on: 22 July, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »
If you're involved with enough cycling events you'll know people who've died on them, or people who are connected, who've died in other cycling circumstances. For all that the health benefits of exercise outweigh the accidents, it doesn't make it any easier.

Chris has been at the centre of cycling long enough to have seen that. It's one thing to rationalise the loss of people you encounter in your career or pastime, another to come to terms with the loss of your own mother in the same pastime.

His appreciation of his mother was very moving.

Let's not forget Keith Boardman, a very valued member of the cycling community, as a participant and coach.

I'm also heartened by the way that Chris's friend, Jens Voigt, has stepped in to fill the void in the Tour coverage.

« Reply #35 on: 23 July, 2016, 06:52:38 am »
For this brave enough to go exploring the murky depths at the bottom of the gene pool, the vile Keith Peat has been quick to gloat  http://www.driveeastmidlands.com.
Good god. An A1 grade certifiable loon. It's not often that one single person (apparently) can generate quite so much contradictory nonsense. Maybe the internet isn't such a good idea. But for the wonders of modern technology people like this would be restricted to wandering the streets wearing a sandwich board.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #36 on: 24 July, 2016, 06:48:06 am »
After looking at that ... well, troglodyte's ... site, the following came to mind (apologies to MattC)

I tried to ignore it, but that blog just pulls you in; some bits are hilarious. Here is how he has used the incident where Chris Froome crashed into the back of an official TourDeFrance moto, as evidence for the menace cyclists pose most motorist crashes into cyclist incidents could be summarized:

What these cyclmotorists forget is, that they are riddriving vehicles on public roads and that it is their duty to avoid accidents and for their self protection too.

The principle must be that others must come first and only ride drive at a speed and distance at which you are able to stop safely. The motorcyclist clearly did exactly that.

These cyclmotorists, including Froome, failed to apply those rules despite very close and confined conditions which included many members of the public.     

This crash happened because cyclists were cycling too fast and dangerously among public on public roads. It really is that simple.

People charged for boardman's mother's death
« Reply #37 on: 25 September, 2017, 11:34:56 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/25/driver-liam-rosney-court-crash-killed-chris-boardman-mother-carol

Not only the driver for causing death by dangerous driving, but also the couple for attempting to pervert the cause of justice.

Be an interesting one to watch.

« Reply #38 on: 26 September, 2017, 08:57:41 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/25/driver-liam-rosney-court-crash-killed-chris-boardman-mother-carol

Not only the driver for causing death by dangerous driving, but also the couple for attempting to pervert the cause of justice.

Be an interesting one to watch.
It will interesting to compare the eventual outcome of this with the Charlie Alliston case. Will we be looking at a long prison sentence - or a 6 month ban and a derisory fine?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

« Reply #39 on: 17 December, 2018, 02:04:07 pm »
Breaking news on R4 said the driver has pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving just before his trial.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #40 on: 31 January, 2019, 02:15:50 pm »

ian

« Reply #41 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:10:21 am »
I'm not clear why it's referred to an 'accident.' Using your phone while driving is a deliberate act.

Anyway, we got the answer, derisory. As Boardman, with admirable restraint, points out there's no other activity than driving that lets us behave so dangerously and face little or no consequence for those actions.

« Reply #42 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:56:07 am »
I suppose it's a form of Stockholm syndrome that I was surprised he got a custodial sentence at all. What was the perverting the cause of justice charge about for him and his wife (of which they were acquitted) - lying about the phone calls?

ian

« Reply #43 on: 01 February, 2019, 11:46:07 am »
If I recall, they tried to delete their call histories. Nice people. Only stumbled upon remorse when it was explained to them that taking the plea would mean a minimal sentence. I've no idea what the point of putting anyone in prison for 30 weeks is (which will be, what, ten weeks actual time).

I completely agree with Boardman though, it's too late sending people to prison after the fact. But that said, the consistent message from this kind of derisory sentencing, like calling it 'careless driving', is that driving is an activity far removed from the standard expectations of responsibility.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:08:20 pm »
If I recall, they tried to delete their call histories. Nice people. Only stumbled upon remorse when it was explained to them that taking the plea would mean a minimal sentence. I've no idea what the point of putting anyone in prison for 30 weeks is (which will be, what, ten weeks actual time).

I completely agree with Boardman though, it's too late sending people to prison after the fact. But that said, the consistent message from this kind of derisory sentencing, like calling it 'careless driving', is that driving is an activity far removed from the standard expectations of responsibility.

Whilst I totally agree with the bolded text, I think you need to have served 10 weeks jail time to comment on its leniency. Would you prefer they chop his phone hand off?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #45 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:21:31 pm »

Whilst I totally agree with the bolded text, I think you need to have served 10 weeks jail time to comment on its leniency. Would you prefer they chop his phone hand off?

Just his thumbs for a first offence...you can move through an increasing scale of body parts for repeat offences.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #46 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:56:07 pm »
I've deleted my post to put it in the more appropriate thread.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?