Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105056 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #675 on: 09 February, 2020, 08:47:34 pm »
The Cambrian 3D is about 10k short  :facepalm:

Bala - Pwllheli - Bethesda - Llanrwst - Conwy - Mold – Ruthin – Llangollen - Bala can be made to weigh in at 289.5km, which is a bit embarrassing.  However, it has always been a bit of an ugly ducking as Cambrian Series rides go, so I am going to propose a modification:

Bala - Pwllheli - Bethesda - Llanrwst - Conwy - Mold – Ruthin – Llangollen - Glyn Ceirog - Bala

Glyn Ceirog, a new Cambrian Series control is bless with a Society for the Preservation of Audax Riders (SPAR) shop, and also invites an ascent of Allt y Gwernant, which has one of the best bits of sustained 17% in the country.  That would bring the ride up to 307km with 4500m of ascent, which should help it to regain its AAA points, which it lost in a rule change around 2005.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is the proposed new route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31902338
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #676 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:13:47 am »
Cambrian 3D all approved - with a tasty 5.25AAA.  That should stop it being the ugly duckling of the 300s.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #677 on: 23 February, 2020, 11:31:08 am »
Cambrian 3D all approved - with a tasty 5.25AAA.  That should stop it being the ugly duckling of the 300s.

Wish I lived closer to Wales. So many great rides, and another to add to the list.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #678 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:08:09 am »
Echoing guidance from the AUK Committee and AUK Permanents Secretary

Cambrian Series Permanents are suspended until further notice, including any SR events.  However, please retain your brevet cards as they will remain valid once the country is back up and running.   I will not be validing any cards ridden during the suspension of AUK events and rides ridden during the time would not be covered by AUK insurance.

Apologies

« Reply #679 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:55:49 am »
Thank you, CET. Hope you enjoyed Mad March, sneaking in the last long(ish) hilly (wet) ride for a while.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #680 on: 18 March, 2020, 07:57:47 pm »
Thank you, CET. Hope you enjoyed Mad March, sneaking in the last long(ish) hilly (wet) ride for a while.

It had hills, weather, and at the end a ferry crossing without a ferry.  And a pub finish.  Pretty much all the requirements for a great Audax ride.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #681 on: 17 July, 2020, 09:58:54 pm »
Cambrian Series 100 and 200 events are open for entries, with ride dates from 1 August.  Existing cards in circulation for these dates will be honoured, but not for the longer events.  There are GPS routes on ride with GPS and I will accept GPS or photo proof of passage  (bike against town sign or an obvious landmark.  Be aware that the 200s take 11+ hours unless you are a strong rider, and so you will need to consider what food and drink you carry to minimise contact.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #682 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:19:11 am »
Welsh Covid-19 restrictions include all unnecessary travel in and out of council areas where there is a local lockdown.  Permanent cycle rides would not be considered as necessary travel.  At the moment the following events are subject to such restrictions:  Cambrian 1F, 1G, 1K, 2C, 3B,  4B, 4D, 4F, 6A, 8A, 10A.  The situation is changing regularly, and it is likely that more routes will be impacted by the restrictions.  I will not be able to validate a ride that has broken lockdown restrictions.  I would suggest that you defer your events until local lockdowns have been removed.  I will honour all brevet cards where a ride has been deferred.

Apologies.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #683 on: 02 October, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »
There are now only 6 councils in Wales that do not have a local lockdown in place.  This means that the only Cambrian Permanents that you can do without breaking the restrictions in place are:  Cambrian 1A,1B, 1C, 1E, 1H, 1J, 2C, 2D, 2E (with a variation of route), 2H, 2J, 3B, and 3C.  I will not be able to validate rides for any other routes.  Events are still open for entries and rides can be ridden at a later date.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #684 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:00:22 pm »
The Cambrian Series permanents will be off limits from 23 October to 9 November, as riding them will be breaking the Covid-19 restrictions in Wales.  Any brevets issued will remain valid for riding once it is legally possible to do so again.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #685 on: 09 November, 2020, 10:15:00 pm »
Good news, if you live in Wales, then 100km and 200km Cambrian Series permanents that are wholly in Wales can be ridden, as travel within Wales is unlimited, but not between England and Wales.

Clearly, if you live in England, the regulations ask you not to travel to Wales and so I would not be able to validate a ride.

Some of the Cambrian Series rides venture into England, but with some tweaking might be able to stay within the principality.

All the Cambrian 100 events are wholly within Wales, except the Cambrian 1B, which has no practical route to keep it in Wales.

The Cambrian 2A and 2B have a leg between Monmouth and Hay-on-Wye where the shortest and easiest routes  pass to the east of the Black Mountain (going through Longtown or using Golden Valley).  These would not be allowed under the regulations, but a route via Gospel Pass would keep that leg entirely within Wales and therefore allow a rider to stay within the regulations. 

300km and longer events remain off-limits for the time being, but these vary rarely get ridden in the winter for good reasons other than Covid-19 (dark narrow untreated icy descents for a start)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #686 on: 21 March, 2021, 07:47:10 pm »
From 29th March, it will be possible to ride permanent events of up to 200km in Wales, so I will accept entries for these rides from now, and validate cards for rides ridden on 29th.  However, routes are not allowed to cross the border with England (again, it feels like echoes of the Two Ronnies - The Worm that Turned).  That means that the Cambrian 1B is off-limits as it visits Clun.  The 2A and 2B can be ridden, but require a rider to use Gospel Pass for the Monmouth - Hay leg rather than routing through Longtown or Golden Valley.

« Reply #687 on: 24 May, 2021, 01:15:59 pm »
I originally planned to ride the SR (Cambrian 6C) back in 2019, but work got in the way. Last year it was Covid. So this year I'm aiming to ride it early in the summer, before school holidays.

My earliest date was 11th June, but on checking the situation with accommodation I see there's not much available. So I hastily got that sorted. There was nowhere available in Llanidloes, which is at the 200km point. A bit of searching and I found a little place some 20km further along the route. That's ok, I'll just start earlier.

The logical place to stop on the second night was to be Llanwrst, but my schedule suggested I'd be getting there too early after an 'easy' 180km day, so I found a place at Denbigh. 420km into the route. That works somewhat better than my original plan, as I've now got 190km on the final day, instead of 210km from Llanwrst. But with my earlier start on day one (7am), I will need to finish the ride by 7pm to be within the 60 hour limit.

Now I just need the weather gods to behave.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #688 on: 19 July, 2021, 09:08:03 pm »
A rider completed the Cambrian 6B the weekend before last, the first completion under my watch.  That means that there are just 3 events that have never recorded a finish since I took over the events in 2007 - the 4A (Llangollen - Prestatyn - Mold - Conwy - Ffestiniog - Bala - Llanidloes - Machynlleth - Llangollen), the 4E (Brecon - Knighton - Welshpool - Bala - Machynlleth - Rhayader - Tregaron - Hay-on-Wye- Brecon), and the 4G (Llanidloes – Bala  - Montgomery – Corwen – Llansannan – Llanberis – Machynlleth - Llanidloes). 

The 6B was truly audacious as the rider suffered a broken wheel in the early hours, about 370km in, had to rest up, find a bike shop, get the wheel fixed and then complete the event - which they did with over an hour to spare. 

« Reply #689 on: 26 July, 2021, 06:41:38 pm »
From 29th March, it will be possible to ride permanent events of up to 200km in Wales, so I will accept entries for these rides from now, and validate cards for rides ridden on 29th.  However, routes are not allowed to cross the border with England (again, it feels like echoes of the Two Ronnies - The Worm that Turned).  That means that the Cambrian 1B is off-limits as it visits Clun.  The 2A and 2B can be ridden, but require a rider to use Gospel Pass for the Monmouth - Hay leg rather than routing through Longtown or Golden Valley.
Is there any extra info on the routes e.g. a website other than what is on the AUK site? Had looked at 2F but the info was very sparse.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #690 on: 16 February, 2022, 11:11:45 am »
Is there any extra info on the routes e.g. a website other than what is on the AUK site? Had looked at 2F but the info was very sparse.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Example routes for most of the rides up to 300km are available on RidewithGPS, just enter the ride name in the search and it should take you there.  However, the routes are free - you are welcome to adjust them if you wish (although in many parts there is only one option).  The control points are also free - anywhere that can offer proof of passage.  Information from the background sheet can be found here https://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com/2015/12/26/cambrian-series-permanents/

If you can't find the route on RidewithGPS please let me know and I will either find it or create it for you.