Author Topic: My First Album Was...  (Read 14598 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: My First Album Was...
« Reply #75 on: 05 December, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »
At one point Frank Muir observed that his offspring had discovered that a two-finger miniature KitKat fitted perfectly into the car's cassette player.

Meanwhile the foil could be folded into a handy 17.5A 32mm cartridge fuse...

« Reply #76 on: 05 December, 2016, 03:52:09 pm »
Another Dark Side of the Moon here, closely followed by some ELO - all on cassette circa 1981.

My parents owned a vast selection of original 60's singles including plenty of Elvis and Beatles. I think the only album was Summer Holiday.  As a consequence I have a mild dislike of them all (actually...I won't listen to the Beatles !)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #77 on: 05 December, 2016, 04:41:46 pm »
The Exploited -Let's start a war
Bought back in the horrible 80's; 1984 to be excact...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 05 December, 2016, 05:22:26 pm »
I have never owned Dark Side of the Moon on any format. In fact I've probably never even deliberately listened to it. Am I still allowed here?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #79 on: 05 December, 2016, 05:24:38 pm »
I have never owned Dark Side of the Moon on any format. In fact I've probably never even deliberately listened to it. Am I still allowed here?

What about OK Computer?  (It's what young people have instead of Dark Side of the Moon.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #80 on: 05 December, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »

What about OK Computer?  (It's what young people have instead of Dark Side of the Moon.)
Young people? I have reasons for not believing the age on my birth certificate but you have no such excuses.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 05 December, 2016, 05:50:18 pm »
I've been counting in hex since I was 0x21 :)

« Reply #82 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:53:57 pm »
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells. A friend of a friend of my parents had bought it, and played it so often that she got sick of it. They came round to Sunday lunch with my family one day, and she gave it to me. I have no recollection of why me; I'm not sure whether I had ever heard it. However, it's probably still my favourite - drives my wife mad.

I remember buying my first single: Popcorn by Hot Butter. Still got that too :)

« Reply #83 on: 05 December, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »
I went from cassette to CD without interregnum.

Yet I still seem to lug a big box of vinyl every time I move house. Is this just a curse of my generation?

No, I have got my 'vinyl' collection down to 1.  Even my CDs have been consigned to the attic.

The last survivor is an ancient shellac impression of an Enrico Caruso number, dated 1919.  The cover has a picture of a SOTA windup gramophone that looks a bit like a wardrobe.

No idea where it came from and have never played it - probably it would sound a bit like this but far more satisfyingly crackly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIbB0KavvM

Despite its age, I suspect it is worth very little but WTH, I like the look of it.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #84 on: 05 December, 2016, 09:45:56 pm »
I'd like to pretend it was something obscure and deeply cool but I think it was Queen's Greatest Hits.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #85 on: 05 December, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »
Abba - Arrival, on cassette, bought for my by my parents when I was 12 or so, when I got my first cassette player.

« Reply #86 on: 05 December, 2016, 10:13:41 pm »
The Pogues, Red Roses for Me.
I was kept on too little pocket money as youngster, so had developed taste before being able to buy!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #87 on: 06 December, 2016, 12:13:23 am »
A Muddy Waters album.  It was a very long time ago.  I have no idea what it was called or what any of the tracks were.

ETA.  A quick look at Wikipedia suggests  "Electric Mud" as the most likely candidate, although that title means nothing to me at all.

OK.  That was the first album I bought.  But some people seem to be giving the first album they owned.  So mine (thanks mum and dad  :facepalm: ) was Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.
For some reason, they thought that was what kids were listening to.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #88 on: 06 December, 2016, 01:23:23 am »
I think back to the albums that I listened to before I ever bought one. We were encouraged to listen to 'The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' by Benjamin Britten, or 'Peter and the Wolf' narrated by Peter Ustinov. That meant we preferred Victor Borge, whose act is essentially Bill Bailey's. There was also an expurgated Rugby Songs album, and one by Jake Thackray, who I still like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWdT-i4GFE

« Reply #89 on: 06 December, 2016, 07:39:56 am »
Deep Purple in Rock.
This was the first album I bought. First album I was given was Mendelssohn's Fingal's Cave.
Rust never sleeps

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #90 on: 06 December, 2016, 02:39:08 pm »
Mine was Geoff Love and his Orchestra play Big War Movie Themes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #91 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »

Has one of the Muse albums replaced this for *real* young people? I've never listened to a whole one, but they're probably OK.(They can play their instruments, and I can hear the vocals.)

I have Dark Side & OK Computer, so something else must have come along by now ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #92 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:24:52 pm »

Has one of the Muse albums replaced this for *real* young people? I've never listened to a whole one, but they're probably OK.(They can play their instruments, and I can hear the vocals.)

I have Dark Side & OK Computer, so something else must have come along by now ...

If there is, I would put my money on it being "The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance or maybe "21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #93 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:28:19 pm »
Surely Green Day is dad music by now?

red marley

« Reply #94 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:39:25 pm »
This thread must be hilarious to a 15 year old.  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #95 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:40:41 pm »

Yebbut I am a dad...

Plus it is, apparently, retro cool to your average 12 yr old!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #96 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:07:01 am »
This thread must be hilarious to a 15 year old.  :thumbsup:

Reads like a BBC Four Friday evening documentary playlist☺
 My first vinyl LP was Lindisfarne's "Nicely out of tune" , played to death on an old red Candidate that I fitted with headphone socket.
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

« Reply #97 on: 09 December, 2016, 01:01:04 pm »

Yebbut I am a dad...

Led Zeppelin seem especially popular. Live music in much of the country consists of bands doing 70s covers in pubs and clubs. Sometimes it's 15 year olds, with musicians old enough to be their dads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7DeHxmdKuQ

ian

« Reply #98 on: 09 December, 2016, 02:04:19 pm »
Now that climbing trees and public dance spectacles are out, this thread is one of the few things I can do that still makes me feel young.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #99 on: 09 December, 2016, 03:27:18 pm »

Yebbut I am a dad...

That's stage 3 of the ageing process for music, after cool and uncool; stage 4 is "wtf?"