Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1600221 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11300 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:17:31 pm »
Note to Stationery Monkey:

Pliz to be checking the standard size of staplers in this HQ (yes, they are all the same) and buy staples what is fitting rather than staples what is cheap. ::-)

(We now has half an HQ running round trying to steal staples from the other half, only to find the other half of the HQ have run out too.  :D :P

And a stationary cupboard full of staples nobody can use. :facepalm: )

If we lose the next war you'll kno why.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11301 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:20:57 pm »
Are the staples bought from Rymans or procured at Filton?  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11302 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:39:23 pm »
Banner - The approved govt suppliers.

I think their vans are sign Written:

BARGINZ! MUCH CHEEPNIS!!11!!1!

Much of the stuffs in their catalogue is crap.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #11303 on: 17 July, 2019, 06:05:05 pm »
Asked to pick up a job 5 minutes before I knocked off. Turned out to be an upgrade from a single link to dual links. My bit took 30 mins, but they won’t close the call until they’ve tested every possible failure combination of multiple switches & firewalls on their side.  I’m hungry & want to get home.  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11304 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:09:51 pm »
Power outage for around a minute here in Outer Suburbia at 22.00.
GRRR...

« Reply #11305 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:13:29 pm »
Power outage for around a minute here in Outer Suburbia at 22.00.
GRRR...

Luckily most of my clocks reset automatically.  It's just the clockwork timer on the boiler that needs to be done manually. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11306 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:18:52 pm »
Thanks for reminding me about cooker clock.
Most others are either battery operated or backed up...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11307 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:44:55 pm »
Our power's been suspiciously well behaved since Data Logger Dave reversed the polarity swapped the phases back in April.  It's the season for builder-related <2-second power cuts, though.  The kind that most electronics that isn't a burglar alarm can ride out on a half-decent smoothing cap, unless you're in the middle of a Windows Update or something important.

fuzzy

« Reply #11308 on: 18 July, 2019, 08:45:47 am »
Our power's been suspiciously well behaved since Data Logger Dave reversed the polarity swapped the phases back in April.  It's the season for builder-related <2-second power cuts, though.  The kind that most electronics that isn't a burglar alarm can ride out on a half-decent smoothing cap, unless you're in the middle of a Windows Update or something important.

Windows Update and Something Important aren't terms you hear in close proximity often......

« Reply #11309 on: 18 July, 2019, 04:05:58 pm »

Windows Update and Something Important aren't terms you hear in close proximity often......

But note the OR between the two ...

« Reply #11310 on: 24 July, 2019, 11:15:46 am »
Rather than ask one person and then turn off the aircon in the whole office, why don't you put on a light fleece or something...  it really isn't that cold in here.   ;) :(
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11311 on: 24 July, 2019, 02:08:42 pm »
Rather than ask one person and then turn off the aircon in the whole office, why don't you put on a light fleece or something...  it really isn't that cold in here.   ;) :(

Yeah. I did a 6-week stint in Sunnyvale with a colleague who had aircon phobia.  The outside temp was usually >30°C, we had a rental car with vinyl seats and the twit insisted on keeping the window on his side wound down the whole time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11312 on: 29 July, 2019, 11:02:37 am »
The lifts are not working so I had to _walk_ up to my office on the 4th floor.      This building was built as a main telephone exchange & all the floors are double height to allow for the od equipment. 

3 flights of 10 stairs per floor.  That's my daily exercise done.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11313 on: 29 July, 2019, 01:04:08 pm »
They’re not usually double height but about 1.5 times normal height. A Strowger equipments rack was circa 10’ tall with about 3’ cabling room above. The floors are usually thicker as well because strowger equipment  was heavy.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11314 on: 29 July, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
The first world problems thread is that way!>>>
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11315 on: 30 July, 2019, 01:01:32 pm »
Pret have stopped doing that nice baguette with mozzarella, pesto & sun dried tomatoes.  :(

ian

« Reply #11316 on: 30 July, 2019, 02:22:16 pm »
You used the words Pret and Nice in the same sentence. Fail.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11317 on: 30 July, 2019, 04:40:17 pm »
You used the words Pret and Nice in the same sentence. Fail.
https://www.pretamanger.fr/fr-fr/nos-adresses/nice/

HTH.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11318 on: 30 July, 2019, 07:42:17 pm »
Flipping back, Mrs B.  Please warn me next time you throw away your rather elderly beetroot soup down the bog.

Or maybe flush twice.

That was a frightening sight.  :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

essexian

« Reply #11319 on: 31 July, 2019, 04:10:59 pm »
Treated myself to a new set of wheels with a built in power meter, the first power meter I have ever had..... I do feel sorry for it as I doubt it will record any figures it can brag about to its mates.... so just to make the whole thing even more exciting, I brought a new cassette from Decathlon on next day delivery, some new Gatorskin hardshells, a new pump as my Park Tools one broke and finally a couple of self sealing tubes from Halfords.....don't tell CBH how much I spent please.

Anyway, as always the Gatorskins were tricky to get on but eventually after 45 minutes, the first one was on. Go to pump it up and....yes, the new pump doesn't work. So, off to replace that. Back to try again.... white sealant everywhere as the valve doesn't work. So, that tube comes out and 45 minutes later I've managed to install the other one....that works fine. One wheel down, second to do........................where the same crap happens again. I don't have any spare tubes so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

So, I have one wheel one...oh, apart from the fact that the new cassette hasn't arrived as promised....indeed, upon checking it seems it hasn't even been sent yet.

This would be a rant if it wasn't for the fact that I get to play with shiny stuff tomorrow.... hopefully. :-\

ian

« Reply #11320 on: 31 July, 2019, 05:19:56 pm »
I need a tree chopping down. This is a job for grown-ups. I have to date contacted no fewer than seven companies who claim this kind of surgery to be their expertise, to come and give us a quote.

One bloody response to date, all the other messages and emails have disappeared into a black hole. Argh, tradespeople in this country!

fuzzy

« Reply #11321 on: 31 July, 2019, 06:24:55 pm »
I need a tree chopping down. This is a job for grown-ups. I have to date contacted no fewer than seven companies who claim this kind of surgery to be their expertise, to come and give us a quote.

One bloody response to date, all the other messages and emails have disappeared into a black hole. Argh, tradespeople in this country!

Thet're rightfuly scared of THE BEARS

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11322 on: 31 July, 2019, 08:16:07 pm »
FFS - it's surprising how much you miss your abdominal strength, after one's six pack abs have been filleted and inner tubes fiddled about with... Even turning in bed is difficult, let alone getting into a car (as a passenger), or doing all those little things like picking mail up from the floor...   :-\

Just been 22 days since my surgery, and I'm still all weak and feeble...

« Reply #11323 on: 31 July, 2019, 08:22:09 pm »
I've just become irrationally angry with someone on a faceplant* group who started addressing me as "pal".
I've never met him, never likely to, and am extremely unlikely to ever be his 'pal'.
I don't know if this is an age thing, but it gets my goat!
*I've blocked more people on this moderated, invite only, group (for Canal Volunteers) than anywhere else, including twatter. Odd isn't it?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ian

« Reply #11324 on: 31 July, 2019, 08:53:30 pm »

Thet're rightfuly scared of THE BEARS

Could be true, but the chap who has agreed to come around is named Angry Beaver.

I shall miss the tree but it's dead and the stupid mad lady keeps sticking notes through the letter box about how a branch WILL KILL HER. It will if I pull one off and go and beat her to death with it.