Author Topic: DofE volunteering - working with animals?  (Read 6088 times)

DofE volunteering - working with animals?
« on: 04 July, 2012, 12:19:29 am »
mini ao seems to be clear that she wants to work with animals for her Duke of Edinburgh volunteering.  Any idea whether this is possible, or what kind of places may fit the bill? 

found this...

Volunteering is simple. It’s about choosing to give time to help people, the community or society, the environment or animals.

Your volunteering must not be done for a business but can be undertaken for a charity or not-for-profit organisation. Where your volunteering is in support of surplus generating work, for example a charity shop, then some Local Authorities may require a work permit. The charity you are volunteering with should be aware of this and support you as required.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: DofE volunteering - working with animals?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:13:26 am »
DoE doing young person here says there's a list of example volunteerings on the DoE website that you see when you log in.
She says there are people volunteering in charity shops and nurseries. We thought the local riding stables might qualify.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:18:17 am »
Animal rescue centre? Riding for the disabled establishment?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:26:35 am »
I think my sister did riding for the disabled for hers, they're a great charity (or they were 30 years ago, not sure about now)

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:46:55 am »
Thanks all. There is a RforD place near here so that would be a good one to explore.  Not sure of the frequency of the volunteering etc  required.

LindaG

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
Blue Cross?

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:56:15 am »
RSPCA dogs home?

Local stray pets home?

Look for an 'urban farm' or somesuch place.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:48:53 am »
There's more scope in Oxford area prolly for 'rescue' centres - from a practical POV I guess she need to be able to cycle/bus or get a lift from someone working for the charity who lives near here.

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:06:52 am »
I started a reply to this last night, but for a host of reasons didn't complete it, so I'm glad that others have brought up the ones that I would have, including RDA (riding for the disabled association).  I suspect volunteering at a local stables, however useful, wouldn't count as that will be a for-profit organisation.  The RDA are pretty much always looking for volunteers and ime are happy to take whatever you can give timewise, but due to large horses being involved, they might have an age limit, I'm not sure (it was never an issue when I was looking into it, I was well above any such limit...)

Depending on where in the Oxford area you are, there is St Tiggywinkles, which provides rescue and nurturing for hedgehogs who are ill or injured.  I took one there a couple of years ago after I found him/her wandering around my driveway in full scorching sunshine at midday, clearly confused and going round in circles.  It's on a lovely country lane, but may be a bit awkward to get to...

With other animal charities, I'd be tempted to try to support the little ones, the ones that don't have the national coverage and often are in someone's back yard, one-man bands that run on shoestring budgets with margins you couldn't thread a needle through.  Where one person's help will make a huge difference, rather than being one of a host of volunteers.  But it is of course going to depend on what's reachable for her to go regularly.

Sounds exciting, whatever she ends up doing!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:38:11 am »
Thanks.  St Tw's would be great, but it's a bit far away in Haddenham, Aylesbury way. Unless someone working there lives here though...

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:46:08 am »
She could come and walk  and feed our dog  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:50:24 am »

Tell you what FF she'd probably love to do that!  mini ao - is almost resigned to us not (though never say never) getting a dog.  Labradoodle is top of her list. 

« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »

Tell you what FF she'd probably love to do that!  mini ao - is almost resigned to us not (though never say never) getting a dog.  Labradoodle is top of her list.

She (and major ao) are welcome for a walk across the fields anytime!
To be honest, our family were the same, I was the sticking point having grown-up in a house full of Old English Sheepdogs.  However after much debate over a long period of time I relented but maintained a certain right to veto (for common sense reasons).  I wanted a JRT, they wanted Labs and Border Collies which were all very impractical for a variety of reasons and costly.  Long story short we ended-up looking at small Lurchers and eventually Whippets, which are compact, cheap to keep, of good health, don't bark, sleep most of the day and are very very affectionate.
You can't believe the surprise when I said we were going to see a puppy (knowing we'd come home with it).  They still can't believe it!

I have to say that he's brought us all closer as a family, we walk him together and then we get to chat in a way we never would otherwise.  We've also met so many lovely people in the neighbourhood and greatly enjoyed the passing of the seasons as we walk the fields to Sunningwell and back.  He's also a great stress reliever.  He's also destroyed the sofa ... oh well.

Never say never, one of the best decisions we've made. A group walk would be nice.

« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »
Thanks for this FF.  Sorry I totally missed your post - haven't been to this realm of YACF for a while.

mini ao has started her volunteering at RDA, and they can also do a YELA (Young Equestrian Leaders Award)...

« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:46:30 pm »
Thanks for this FF.  Sorry I totally missed your post - haven't been to this realm of YACF for a while.

mini ao has started her volunteering at RDA, and they can also do a YELA (Young Equestrian Leaders Award)...
No worries!  Glad she's sorted, well done both  :thumbsup: