Author Topic: Need a new pram?  (Read 4133 times)

Need a new pram?
« on: 16 July, 2012, 09:59:42 pm »
Check these out. Especially the last one....

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/pram-progress

I'm actually surprised no one has built an electric assist pram yet, as prams seem so bloody heavy even without the baby in!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Re: Need a new pram?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »
Do you have something to tell us, Arch?  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »
The car is finally going to get washed!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:36:44 pm »

I'm actually surprised no one has built an electric assist pram yet, as prams seem so bloody heavy even without the baby in!

I don't know many people who have actually owned a pram for their babies. There are really good buggy systems these days some of which can attach a newborn car seat and most of my friends and family (who are younger than me) have gone for that option. They are pretty light and foldable.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »
We had a proper coach-built Silver Cross pram as kids.
It never seemed hard to push.
I think big wheels and suspension made a difference.

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2012, 05:04:22 pm »
They are great and easy to push, I've used one. Unfortunately, they are not practical as an only pram these days as they won't go in most cars, buses or a lot of shops. The days of leaving your baby in the pram outside a shop have sadly passed.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »
They are great and easy to push, I've used one. Unfortunately, they are not practical as an only pram these days as they won't go in most cars, buses or a lot of shops. The days of leaving your baby in the pram outside a shop have sadly passed.

Indeed, but Mum never drove.
Cousin (chap who was on Facebook with ancient father aboard Thames cablecar) told me how, when his mother was a new mum, she had left pram at front of John Barnes store on Finchley Road and left the store by the rear entrance as she lived nearby. It took a while before she realised that she'd left the baby behind...

Mum thinks big prams are rather better for mothers' backs than struggling with wriggly babies in car seats.
We wheeled HYOOGE quantities of shopping on that pram. Human-powered grocery cart: very 'green'.

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2012, 06:37:17 pm »
I had a huge sprung pram for mine. I got it for a tenner from the free ads when No1Son was born, and used till I left Mr boab when No2Daughter was about 4. It was fugly brown but enormous and had a seat that went over the body. One in the pram, one (or two) sat on it, too. It didn't fit in the car, I used it at home, the baby would sleep outside the kitchen window through the day and we'd go for walks. We lived on farms and didn't have pavements. I left the pram outside the shop, when I had shops I could walk to. They'd have a dog or two guarding them. This sounds like some 1930s idyll.  :facepalm:

It's a different proposition when what you do with your infant is take them into and out of cars and to nurseries.

« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »

I don't know many people who have actually owned a pram for their babies. There are really good buggy systems these days some of which can attach a newborn car seat and most of my friends and family (who are younger than me) have gone for that option. They are pretty light and foldable.

Well, when I said electric assist pram, I meant baby carrying carts generally. The one my sister had for Oli, and then Oli (toddler) and Max (Baby in a sort of drawer bit underneath!) seemed pretty bulky and heavy - add in the two kids and shopping and you got a real workout, especially on the way back UP from town (Anyone know Winchester? All the shops in the valley, all the houses up the hills!). I was thinking of a level of assist like a pedestrian cart - just enough to move its own weight.

Now that it's just Max (toddler) she has a rather lighter McClaren jobby. I think they might have had a carseat-system one to start with for Oli, but changed for some reason.

Do you have something to tell us, Arch?  ;)

No!

Although what MFWHTBAB would do let loose on a pram, I hesitate to think!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:39:59 am »
Well, there is a motor pram in that clip. Interesting that the very first one shown is three-wheeled, like the trendy "all terrain buggies" today - I think of them as baby SUVs, partly because there does seem to be an overlap in ownership but also because some are advertised that way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »
You may have a point, but used off-road three big wheels does work way better than four small ones, and even on pavement this business of a big pushchair being hard to push is silly.  The small pushchair folds down tiny, and I wouldn't be without it, but it is far harder to push around.

« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
Well, there is a motor pram in that clip. Interesting that the very first one shown is three-wheeled, like the trendy "all terrain buggies" today - I think of them as baby SUVs, partly because there does seem to be an overlap in ownership but also because some are advertised that way.

I think it's part of a general trend towards 'outdoorsy' things for townies. MTBs with knobbly tyres, chunky walking boot type shoes, 4x4's and all terrain baby buggies. The vast majority of these items being used entirely on tarmac, but somehow giving the owner an air of macho ourdoorsy competency....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »
We had a chunky tyred four wheel model, which I did take off road frequently.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:17:35 pm »
We had a chunky tyred four wheel model, which I did take off road frequently.

In which case, you were using it properly. But there must be millions of the things that the owners won't even take out in the rain!