Author Topic: If a tree falls in the wind, and there is no cyclist to be crushed...  (Read 12418 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: If a tree falls in the wind, and there is no cyclist to be crushed...
« Reply #50 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »
The badger made a sharp exit as well.

I think we both still have visible scars from that incident. It was in 2012, and is entirely the fault of railway engineering works.

Wrong kind of badgers on the line?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #51 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:54:36 pm »
squirrels are really really good at running away towards the verge until you are right alongside - and then making a dive for your spokes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 26 October, 2017, 11:29:08 pm »
squirrels are really really good at running away towards the verge until you are right alongside - and then making a dive for your spokes.

They're employing classic sniper-avoidance tactics.  I've concluded that The Red Baron needs a front machine gun.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:35:23 am »
Does it make a sound?

Or - as I was cycling home last night looking nervously% at the trees as I passed*, I was wondering - if one falls does it crack and fall slowly as it tears apart giving a vulnerable cyclist time to take evasive action - or does it just thud down like 10 tons of bricks?

Does anyone know?

*one section being particularly nervous under 1/2 mile of tree tunnel.
%I know - an irrational fear of falling trees compared to the (probably) much higher risk of bad drivers that I no longer worry about.

Speaking as an Arborist, I would say that it depends. Both on the condition of the tree, and the species of the tree.

Beech trees (Fagus sylvatica), have a documented predisposition for throwing limbs. Infact among some woodspeople there is a superstition not to say nasty things or swear under a beech tree lest it may here you and throw a branch at you. The conditions under which the limbs tend to fall off are due to rain levels and related conditions, which for the life of me I can't remember right now. If one falls, chances are you will hear the crack and then notice the large lump of wood landing shortly after.

However, where this gets blurry is that the branch may have gone crack long ago, fallen a bit, and had it's fall broken by a lower limb. Here it then sits until such time as the movement of the tree in the wind puts it in a position where that final gentle shove pushes it off the side and *splat*. This will be silent, apart from any small branches it hits on the way past.

As for if a tree falling makes a sound. Oh yes. for a tree to fall typically the ground needs to be saturated such that the roots are loosed, even so there's likely to be tearing of smaller roots and creeking noises as the root plate tilts up. It makes a horrible noise that you don't want to hear.

For a tree to break and not lift up with it's root plate is very rare, and usually implies that there has been some structural weakness (such as included bark at a fork), but this is going to require substantial inputs of energy (read wind) to make it go split.

So to summaries, parts of tree (tho large in scope) can fall relatively silently. But a whole tree is likely to make a horrendous noise giving you just enough time to turn and face your doom before it squashes you.

HTH.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #54 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:52:22 am »

I think we both still have visible scars from that incident. It was in 2012, and is entirely the fault of railway engineering works.

Rail replacement badgers?

simonp

« Reply #55 on: 27 October, 2017, 12:56:38 pm »

Rail replacement badgers?

Blame Beeching since it was on a disused railway line cycle path.

Blame ECML upgrades at Hitchin for us being there at 11pm instead of much earlier.

Ben T

« Reply #56 on: 27 October, 2017, 08:50:26 pm »
Does no one else have regular very near misses with , necessitating slamming the anchors on for , rabbits?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #57 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:07:13 pm »
I thought sheep attacks would be more prevalent.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:13:13 pm »

Hmm.  Usually they're running away, with varying degrees of competence.  I've occasionally had to stop when they've failed to get out of the way in a timely manner.

I once had a hairy (wooly?) moment when a sheep dropped into the road in front of me while I was driving a car, thobut.

Ben T

« Reply #59 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »
Sheep are only a risk when on the opposite side of the road to other sheep. They are fairly likely to decide that being on the same side of the road as their mates is more important than not being run over.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:23:21 pm »
Anecdotally, I've found that the botheredness of sheep is inversely proportional to the speed of the passing cyclist.  Once you're doing 20mph or more they presumably categorise you as a motor vehicle, which they're used to ignoring as they stand at the side of the road.  Puff your way up a hill at 5mph, on the other hand, and sheep will scatter in spite of there being a fence and a ditch between you.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »
It's the puffing that scares them. A genetic memory of the first steam train, when great-grandaddy sheepy got muttoned by a Rocket.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #62 on: 28 October, 2017, 12:48:17 pm »
Does no one else have regular very near misses with , necessitating slamming the anchors on for , rabbits?
Yep!

Riding home from work in an evening on the cycle path round the back of Alcuin college (University of York) is like heading through a live action remake of "Watership Down!"
If there hasn't been a dog emptier round recently, there's hundreds of the little blighters scattering in front of you.

Mind you, they're still better than fighting your way through the <expletive> geese!! :-O
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 28 October, 2017, 12:53:01 pm »
I encounter rabbits regularly enough, but they usually have the sense to run *away* from the road.  Unless they're too far gone with myxomatosis and just sit there.  Either way, not particularly hazardous.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #64 on: 28 October, 2017, 04:33:47 pm »
Sadly, the rabbits on that part of campus are nowhere near a road and only used to pedestrians, dog emptiers and the occasional cyclist, so tend to scatter all over the place when the aforementioned occasional cyclist appears.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: 28 October, 2017, 05:54:04 pm »
Many prey when chased will zigzag to try and put off the predator. Alas your average bunny is unable to deal with the fact the predator (bike) isn't actually chasing it, and with a narrow field, such as a country lane, it zig zaps while the cyclist continues straight on... alas the stopping distance is insufficient to stop before the wheel spinning away in front of it. Stupid rabbits.

Makes a hell of a mdss...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #66 on: 28 October, 2017, 07:00:44 pm »
I've had a rabbit zig-zag in front of me when I was on a motorbike. It zigged right, I moved left, and it zagged left into my rear wheel.

It's been many bunny generations since then. I wonder if their tactics have evolved at all.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #67 on: 28 October, 2017, 08:57:57 pm »
If a tree is overloaded with snow and ice, and the top portion of it decides that gravity has a point, it is definitely audible with an 'Oh $#!^, where is that?' thought to make sure you are not underneath an icy javelin of deth.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #68 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »
I don't think the zig zagging is entirely a prey species thing, as cats do it too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #69 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:49:29 am »
And another thing...

Trees tend to attract sky electricity. I don't think there is time to escape an exploding tree if it is hit by lightning. Hot burning wooden daggers of death. Riding a carbon bike through an electrical storm at 2am when the only object taller than you is a tree can be nerve-wracking. In my experience.

simonp

« Reply #70 on: 29 October, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
In rowing, you hear a thunder clap, you get off the water ASAP.

30 minutes after the last thunder clap, you can go out again.

« Reply #71 on: 04 November, 2017, 12:05:49 pm »
Not so easy on a boat at sea, with a tall sticky-up metal thing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #72 on: 13 November, 2017, 03:06:29 pm »
Not so easy on a boat at sea, with a tall sticky-up metal thing.

You need a short length of chain which you attach to the appropriately named chain-plates and dangle said chain into the water. Job done.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #73 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:52:20 am »
I had an encounter with a kamikaze rabbit.  It ran straight at my front wheel, which was a bloody good aim coz I was doing about 30 at the time.  I didn't realise what it was at first; I just saw something out of the corner of my eye, felt a small bump, and realised there appeared to be something in my front wheel.

It had done a good job on itself.  Headbutted the spokes which forced its head under and between the wheel and the lower mudguard stay, promptly broke said stay which caused it to rise upwards whereupon the Coney head came out of the other side to finish garotting itself on the upper mudguard stay.

A very successful suicide attempt all around.

And before you ask I only had one pannier which was already loaded with work clothes and laptop; so I left it for the foxes

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #74 on: 22 November, 2017, 01:27:30 pm »
I was offed by a heron once. The silly bugger burst out of a ditch right into me. I don't know who was more frightened, me or him?

Them things is BIG
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius