Author Topic: Which Spring Classic should I see?  (Read 1651 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Which Spring Classic should I see?
« on: 13 March, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »
I've never seen any of the Spring Classics and as I'm now in The Netherlands, it seems a good chance. The choices are:

• Ronde van Vlaanderen - Sunday 5th April
  • Amstel Gold - Thursday 19th April
  • La Flèche Wallonne - Sunday 22th April
  • Liège-Bastogne-Liège - Tuesday 24th April

The Amstel Gold has the advantage the course is a few loops, it would be possible to see the rides a few times without much effort and it's also on a weekend. Saying that, Liège isn't much further than Maastricht. The Ronde van Vlaanderen is also a weekend race and seeing the rides go up the Koppenberg (or another hill) could be fun and it's probably the least distance to travel to see the race. However, is there anything else I should consider or recommendations folk have?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Which Spring Classic should I see?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2009, 09:10:43 pm »
All well worth seeing, but the Ronde is THE one for me. As you hav identified, on one of the Bergs, and then into a cafe for beer and frites, and the race on the television with all the atmosphere.

Also consider Ghent-Wevelgem, uses some of the same roads.

If you look in most Belgian (and many Netherlands) newspapers there is a list of races each day, you may well find a handy Kermesse or Omloop (larger circuit) near you on many summer evenings and at weekends.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:26:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've found the info for the Gent-Wevelgem race too, so I'll look into that as an option too. I've also found that the Ronde van Overijssel will pass pretty close to where I am, so there could be worth going to see as well.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:31:39 am »
Ronde Van Vlaanderen. Take your bike, check the route and see the race three or four times before retiring to a bar to see the finish on TV and toasting the winner.

then

Ghent-Wevelgem on the Wednesday.

Isn't the Trois Jours du DePanne on the week before the RvV ?

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:45:14 am »
RVV from the list.  I enjoyed the cyclosportive followed by the spectator event the following day.

But Paris-Roubaix is the queen.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:14:02 am »
Seems like Ronde Van Vlaanderen is THE one.

Paris-Roubaix be may be the queen, but she'll have to wait until another year because I've already got plans for the Easter weekend & it's also quite a long way to France.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:27:59 pm »
Lucky bugger!  Enjoy the ronde & give us all a write up after  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:50:15 pm »
We watched the RVV at Geraardsbergen.