Author Topic: Coverage of Giro d'Italia 2013  (Read 15462 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Coverage of Giro d'Italia 2013
« Reply #25 on: 06 May, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
And another italian in pink.. Just what the organisers want, and I can't see Sky being upset at all.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #26 on: 06 May, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
The motorbike rider/cameraman was giving him encouragement on the descent too. Italians? Tribal? Na!  ;D
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #27 on: 06 May, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »
|Bloody nice scenery as well.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »
The motorbike rider/cameraman was giving him encouragement on the descent too. Italians? Tribal? Na!  ;D

I loved that!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #29 on: 06 May, 2013, 11:57:26 pm »
Where's David Harmon? I don't think I can take three weeks of that dull Irish monotone (and I don't mean Sean Kelly). Or even Carlton Kirby, at least he's quite entertaining.

« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:06:26 am »
He's taking a sabbatical.  Back in July, I think.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:21:04 am »
What is Ryder Hesjedal playing at exactly?  It's very entertaining but seems barking mad.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #32 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:22:14 am »
Where's David Harmon? I don't think I can take three weeks of that dull Irish monotone (and I don't mean Sean Kelly). Or even Carlton Kirby, at least he's quite entertaining.

He is taking some time off

http://velovoices.com/2013/04/26/friday-feature-interview-with-eurosports-david-harmon-part-1/

I quite like the replacement Irish chap

« Reply #33 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:54:34 am »
What is Ryder Hesjedal playing at exactly?  It's very entertaining but seems barking mad.

Well, he won last year by ‘keeping up’, mostly, on the mountains - against expectation - and having enough in the TTs to take the win.  A bit Wiggins-y.  But he’s not as good a TT-er as Wiggins so if he’s going to come close he needs every bonus second he can get.  Like the 8 he had yesterday.  He’s unlikely to pick them up on the steep finishes. It was exhilarating to see the planned Garmin move spring into life, and the other GC teams scrambling to respond.  I guess it was intended to see him over the top of that final cat 3 alone, and when that didn’t come off, his second attack, on the descent, was Ryder playing by ear. 

BMC did well to bring Cadel Evans back, and he did surprisingly well to come in second.  Can’t see him keeping up on the hills later, though.

« Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:17:33 am »
Yeah, Hesjedal needs all the seconds he can get and it was indeed good to see him have a dig. It's bloody boring watching the likes of Wiggins meticulously planning to do just enough to win. I'd like to see Wiggins win, but I hope he has to work for it - forced to attack. If he's successful, it would improve his reputation and image no end...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #35 on: 07 May, 2013, 11:01:08 am »
By accounts, he's been working on his attacks. Things should get jolly exciting when the road goes proper vertical.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 07 May, 2013, 11:17:19 am »
Today's stage looks like promising more of the same - 250km with a 15km final climb, averaging about 5% but with sections of 10%, and a slightly flatter finish.

Could suit someone like Pozzovivo, or maybe Paolini again. Shame Rodriguez isn't in the Giro - it would be ideal for him. Or maybe Nibali will fancy his chances today!

David Martin

« Reply #37 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »
Apparently Evans had recce'd the downhill in detail so was able to bring them back on that without having to expend too much energy. He is a former MTB'er and has excelelnt descending skills.

citoyen

« Reply #38 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:16:35 pm »
He is a former MTB'er and has excelelnt descending skills.

You are Paul Sherwen AICMFP. ;)

« Reply #39 on: 07 May, 2013, 04:27:19 pm »
No wonder Di Luca's going full gas. He has big bills to pay. £250,000 to the UCI for doping and an unpaid season with Katusha will have taken its toll on his finances!

« Reply #40 on: 08 May, 2013, 03:36:39 pm »
(click to show/hide)

DaleFTW

« Reply #41 on: 08 May, 2013, 05:00:16 pm »
Watched the majority of this race on mute. Can't stand Calculations Kelly at the best of times, but his new partner makes him even worse.

« Reply #42 on: 09 May, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »
If you have Virgin cable TV, you now can view on PC anywhere.

http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/channels/live/eurosport/ (requires login and "M" TV package)

David Martin

« Reply #43 on: 09 May, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »
Cool. I didn't know that. My productivity takes a dive for the next two weeks.

« Reply #44 on: 09 May, 2013, 05:36:11 pm »
If I'd have been playing Calculation Bingo as a drinking game today, I would have been absolutely pissed within ten minutes of the start of transmission.

Maybe he was in a world of pain behind his Oakleys, but Bradley pulled off the trick of looking totally relaxed and in control as he got to the front (avoiding the crash fairy), stepped on the gas, and hauled the peloton along just before the final gallop.

« Reply #45 on: 09 May, 2013, 05:49:09 pm »
....and hauled the peloton along just before the final gallop.

Right at the point they were approching the 3 km to go mark! He was making damn sure he wasn't going to get a split again....

Go Cav!

David Martin

« Reply #46 on: 09 May, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
Maybe he was taking the opportunity to do a bit of a TT effort prior to Saturday? and making damned sure he was seen at the front of the pack going through 3km as his bike didn't have a transponder on (he was on a spare bike having changed it earlier in the stage, just before getting caught behind the monster pile up.)

« Reply #47 on: 10 May, 2013, 12:21:42 am »
That occurrred to me too. If you're given a spare bike without a transponder (or even a number as Bradley's wasn't) how does the finishing time/position get recorded if things get messy? I guess they have to go with the numbers on the back in a photograph.

Ooh! *thinks* This could be a 'Please Sir!' question to hit the Eurosprot chaps with tomorrow..

« Reply #48 on: 10 May, 2013, 07:05:35 am »
Pay attention at the back - I do hope you're not doing anything like working instead of watching? They covered the subject on day 5 when there was biblical deluge of a river running across the finish line, washing away the electronics as the ride was 70k away. Answer: do what they can with the photos. In the event all was back to normal by the time the riders arrived,

David Martin

« Reply #49 on: 10 May, 2013, 10:06:21 am »
Provisional placings are given with the transponder. These are then verified with the photofinish (which takes time) and any interventions from the race jury (such as annulling gaps after crashes and applying any penalties). The final official results are typically published hours after the last rider has crossed the line.