Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134269 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13875 on: 01 June, 2019, 04:23:50 pm »
Forwent the patisserie and put new drill together. Result:

It's a crude bugger (look who's talking, says missus's voice in my mind) but it works, it has all the right twiddly bits (except for a mushroomoid off-switch up front) and the chuck runs true. Still have to suss out how to align laser sight, though.
Mmmmm!

« Reply #13876 on: 01 June, 2019, 09:51:12 pm »
Yesterday, a clean and lube for the bike that got wet In Scotland.

Today, Mrs Dan is away for the week. So I’m doing a spot of surprise getting on with it, and decorating the utility / sewing / stuff room. The one room that we’ve never done. So filled, sanded, wiped and taped. There’s a couple of dabs of primer to get on before bed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13877 on: 02 June, 2019, 02:34:43 pm »
Restocked the tools/ spares bottles for HK's Kinesis, Roberts and Moulton, my Frezoni and trike and the audax tandem. Every bike was missing at least one thing (gear or brake cable, chain link, correct tools, tyre boot, etc.) but all are sorted now.

Ground back the plastic brake spring sleeve for additional mudguard clearance on several Shimano dual pivot brakes. Fitted a pair to HK's Moulton after swapping the brake pad holders to ones that used a 2.5mm Allen key rather than 2mm.

Tweaked my saddle position on the audax tandem and swapped the front Durano DD tyre to the rear wheel. Fitted a Rubino Pro to the front. Fitted a longer stoker BB to improve the granny ring shift. Found a cracked rear mudguard to be replaced sometime and a slightly stretched timing chain. The eccentric doesn't have enough range of motion to let me sufficiently take up the chain tension or to let me remove a link. Time to find a half-link.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13878 on: 02 June, 2019, 02:36:07 pm »
Forwent the patisserie and put new drill together. Result:

It's a crude bugger (look who's talking, says missus's voice in my mind) but it works, it has all the right twiddly bits (except for a mushroomoid off-switch up front) and the chuck runs true. Still have to suss out how to align laser sight, though.
Mmmmm!

;D ;D ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13879 on: 02 June, 2019, 07:53:19 pm »
replaced the square tapered bb on my hack bike. the worn out one was 110mm and the replacement 107mm which turned into a small problem of left crank touching the bb shell when tightened. took a grinder tool to it and made a couple of mm chamfer on the crank. worked a treat.
almost cross-threaded the lhs bb shell in the process, but noticed in time (about four threads deep) and managed to correct it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13880 on: 02 June, 2019, 08:19:55 pm »
Shift cables on the Cruzbike, got the front mech set up nicely, rear needs a bit of tweaking, but that was the case last time as well.  Runs a bit better since I noticed the chain was the wrong way round. 
Front brake cabled up and seems to be OK, cable for the rear is "just too short". 
New light mounted, slightly different approach to last time, but more secure and allowing more range of motion. 

Just need rear brake cable and permanent seat installation and ready to go again.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13881 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:05:09 am »
almost cross-threaded the lhs bb shell in the process, but noticed in time (about four threads deep) and managed to correct it.

I've got BB taps just up the road from you if you want to run them through the threads.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13882 on: 03 June, 2019, 04:09:43 pm »

I've got BB taps just up the road from you if you want to run them through the threads.
oh, thank you! the bb is installed now correctly, so i'll leave it there, but if i need to re-fit it i'll have your offer in mind, cheers.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13883 on: 03 June, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »
a front light bracket:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13884 on: 03 June, 2019, 06:18:43 pm »
Having removed a metric shitload of dePreston grit, the Brown Baron is now red again.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13885 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:02:47 pm »
Continuing fettling the rockhopper, stripped the headset as it was solid.  Cleaned out the gunk, wonder what grease was in there, cleaned everything and regreased with blue marine grease.  The balls had lost the chrome coating and the surfaces are pitted, did have caged balls took the balls out and added a few spares I had from an older headset. Still runs rough but no choice.  Wheels are the same.  It is bad to reinstall worn balls but when the surfaces are pitted what else can you do?

« Reply #13886 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:18:42 pm »
This evening I finally got round to checking over the bike that I unexpectedly abandoned to go tarmac surfing ten days ago.  It looks OK apart from scuffed bar tape and some chunks out of both (?) shifters that match my hip and shins respectively  ::-)

« Reply #13887 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:40:06 pm »
Patched the inner of a tyre and re-tubelessified it (though it ran fine with a tube in on a 600 over the weekend).

Then serviced a pump (which I discovered wasn't working when I started trying to fix the ^^^ - luckily there was a bike shop nearby).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13888 on: 04 June, 2019, 09:40:23 am »
Started building a mobile stand for my bandsaw.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13889 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:50:10 pm »
Fixed a puncture last night on the Pretty Bike. The rim tape had shifted a tadge (it's done this before) allowing an inner tube/spoke hole interface situation. The rims are Exal XR2, which upheld their reputation for being bastard tight.  I added a layer of insulating tape over the zefal version of Velox tape that's in there.  I think (didn't measure and I'm not going to take the tyre off to find out) that the tape is 13mm wide.  Has anyone tried the 17mm on an XR2 rim?   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13890 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:18:38 pm »
The gearbox and gearchange on my '73 Triumph Tiger 750.

The change has been terrible since I got it as a non-runner import from Toronto.  Got it running, legal and on the road, and the go and stop is fine.  But the gearbox has been horrible - missing gears, false neutrals etc - but no mechanical nasty noises.

Had 3 goes at sorting the change, eventually replacing all the pingfuckits that make up the positive stop change mechanism - and that made it worse!  So, today, after a lot of research, I decided to open up the gearbox itself.  Had some difficulty in getting the pinions off the 2 shafts, because they are held in by 3 selector forks which in turn fit into a camplate that must have been designed by Stan himself, in the days before CAD.  Clever boys those men from Meriden, RIP etc.

Was somewhat heartened by the general good condition of the internals, so there was no mechanical calamity causing the problem, but did find a thrust washer that looked as though it had fallen off its locating peg when the PO assembled the 'box last and could have caused lateral positioning errors of the gears along the layshaft.

Anyway, after a good sniff around, and with the workshop manual to hand, I took my time re-assembling the work of Stan, according to the manual.  After a few "ah, that's how it goes" moments, got it all back together, and now it feels like I think it should, or rather as how I remember Triumph gearboxes from 35 years ago. 

It all seems to work, but I'll give the gasket goo overnight to go off before I refill the oil and, if it's stopped pissing down, try a road test.  Can't be any worse......

EDIT:  Sorted. All gears now available on demand, and predictably.  2nd to 3rd sometimes iffy, but I know why and a bit of use should sort that.  Phew.  This has been a 'journey'.  At leasI now know intimately the workings of the Triumph gear change and gearbox mechanisms. All knowledge transferrable to my '72 Daytona 500, now in build.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13891 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:48:06 pm »
The poles for my Quick Hiker 3.  This was a replacement for the one that got damaged by a broken pole last year, which I hadn't actually used until last weekend, where I discovered that through some tolerance issue (likely of the webbing attaching the pole-holdy end things to the fly) it was almost impossible to engage the poles.  I eventually managed it, after some injury due to the force required, by removing the end caps.

So, on the basis that my competence at sawing and filing aluminium is greater than at high-tensile stitching (and because I've got some spare pole sections I 'forgot' to return with the broken tent), I've shortened both the main poles by 20mm, and it's now pitchable with normal amounts of harsh language.

Having taken it to the north-west, I can finally confirm that it's waterproof, and that - as suspected - the design leads to you getting dripped on when you unzip the outer door.

ElyDave

« Reply #13892 on: 04 June, 2019, 09:01:15 pm »
EVERY tent leads to you getting dripped on to enter and/or exit. It's the joy of camping.

And if you don't need naughty words to get it up, there's something wrong with you

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13893 on: 05 June, 2019, 02:24:31 pm »
I hoovered the inside of my mudguards. Whaddaya mean, obsessive? It was only one mudguard! The one I'd drilled. Drillium mudguards are all the range, in a post-ironic form over function way. (I was fitting a mudflap.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13894 on: 05 June, 2019, 06:33:32 pm »
EVERY tent leads to you getting dripped on to enter and/or exit. It's the joy of camping.

Yeah, but a flap that hangs down with a vertical zip can be unzipped in a controlled manner and carefully flicked to project the worst of the drippage outwards, where one with a diagonal zip will deposit water on your stuff as soon as you start unzipping it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13895 on: 08 June, 2019, 08:00:29 pm »
Fitted a rear rack to a friend's MTB, fitted a Dog Fang to the audax tandem, tightened the creaking BB in my Frezoni and replaced the wornout rear derailleur on my trike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13896 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:46:32 pm »
spent almost a full day building a bike today from 2/3 new parts, 1/3 used. still needs a few adjustments.

ElyDave

« Reply #13897 on: 09 June, 2019, 07:28:35 am »
finished cabling the Cruzbike and refitted the old, cracked seat until I talk to them about the new one- several holes missing and I've not drilled cf before.

ordered some p-clips as I'm not happy with the 10degree slope on the rear rack. I think p-clips on the legs will let me lower the rack and get it level. everything else works, so plan is take it out for a spin today and get everything dialled in before completing the bar taping as the last job.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13898 on: 10 June, 2019, 11:33:56 am »
Almost finished my workshop reorg. Went from this:

to this:

The old lathe bench that was against the wall in now in the cellar and looking forward to a future of washing-baskets etc. All it carried after the lathe moved out was a rarely-used router sled and a drill stand.  The new drill press wouldn't fit it, and anyway it was too high so I converted the old bandsaw stand to take it, adding wheels in the process, and built a new BS stand.  The idea now is that I can pull anything out when I need it - we'll see how long it takes to get fed up with that.

Still need to build a cabinet for drill bits etc and tidy up the wood pile.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13899 on: 15 June, 2019, 03:29:08 pm »
Serviced my old Elektra Beckum mitre saw. All went nicely until I checked the cut at the 90° stop and got ~92°. All that the handbook's stop-adjustment method does is reduce binding tension on the locking lever, which does SFA for the cutting angle. One is glum.