Author Topic: Scam or what?  (Read 1752 times)

Scam or what?
« on: 07 March, 2020, 02:14:04 pm »
Out of the blue, a 'Burberry' scarf has been posted to me at my address from China. I never ordered it, nor did my daughter who's the only other person who knows my address in my immediate contacts. I've probably had stuff delivered from China via 'UK only' sellers on eBay who were anything but, but not ordered anything directly, as far as I can recall.
There's paperwork with the scarf dated October last year with some sort of invoice for c.6,000 HK Dollars and a QR code, which I shall not click on, of course.
Is this a well-known scam?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Scam or what?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2020, 03:52:00 pm »
Yes. I had something similar from Amazon a year or two ago. It was immediately dodgy since it was to an address I only use for work... Basically, you'll panic, click, fill in a realistic form to claim a refund or flag a scam, and then they've got your real details.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2020, 10:35:09 pm »
I believe there's also a scam whereby people order things (presumably using fraudulent details) purely in order to astroturf the customer reviews.  The goods get sent somewhere random.

ETA: Ah, not quite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushing_(e-commerce)

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2020, 09:42:04 am »
It's now clear that I've been scammed. clarksukshop.com was the site I naiively clicked on at work to order some shoes from Clarks - or so I thought. Turns out others have had the same result. I spose I should have been wary once the payment turned out to be in USD. Card cancelled in case of follow up fraud. I can't disputet the transaction with TSB until 30 days have expired. Ho hum. Virgin Media have a fraud warning when trying to access the URL, so I'm surprised my work account didn't flag it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2020, 11:42:18 am »
It's now clear that I've been scammed. clarksukshop.com was the site I naiively clicked on at work to order some shoes from Clarks - or so I thought.

Granted, hindsight is a wonderful thing - but I would never buy anything from a site I haven't used before without first looking up its domain registration.

A reputable company doesn't need to be registered anonymously behind an ID protection service in Panama:

http://whois.domaintools.com/clarksukshop.com

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2020, 05:44:46 pm »
Yep, I was naiive, to be sure. It is the first time I've been scammed online, so I'll be more vigilant in future.

Anyone want a trashy, fake Burberry scarf?

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2020, 06:14:03 pm »
Anyone want a trashy, fake Burberry scarf?

Is this a scam?  Do you need my credit card details in order to send it?

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2020, 07:05:38 pm »
😀 I'll accept postal orders. Do they still do those?