Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2461907 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20875 on: 18 October, 2019, 01:39:32 pm »
With the dark mornings come the mega-bright front lights.  On the canal path where in general there is no lighting and its shaded by trees, you get totally blinded by some of these.  Additionally, the random overhanging branches means squeezing to the side is a gamble esp when blinded.

For a short time I commuted on a bike trail in Seattle. It was very busy (very wide and often unlit) and commuters there partially covered their lights to "dip" for on-coming cyclists.   I wish that would happen here.

Another pet peeve while I'm at it is how bright a lot of LED brake lights are when your sat at the lights.  At 2 sets last night I had to shield my eyes.

« Reply #20876 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:40:25 am »
Gritters out last night !  >:(

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20877 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:07:45 pm »
For a short time I commuted on a bike trail in Seattle. It was very busy (very wide and often unlit) and commuters there partially covered their lights to "dip" for on-coming cyclists.   I wish that would happen here.
I experienced this recently (in Derby) and liked it so much I have adopted it (even though I would say that my light is not Sauron-like).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20878 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:42:59 pm »
I experienced this recently (in Derby) and liked it so much I have adopted it (even though I would say that my light is not Sauron-like).

This is why I prefer to use a head torch as a FRIKKIN LAZER for off-road paths where such illumination is warranted - you can simply turn your head away from oncoming users, leaving something StVZO-compliant[1] on the bike.

But on the odd occasion I've been riding the Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle with it's Cheap Shitty Conical Beam From China on the towpaths of Middle Earth after dark, it's an approach I've adopted, simply because toggling the beam between high and low means you have to go through the Super Epileptic Strobe-o-DETH mode which is de rigueur for such lights, and completely unsuitable for use around open water.  Or people with functional eyeballs.

[1] I draw the line at worrying about cyclists dazzled by correctly aligned StVZO-compliant lights.  It usually means their own lights are homeopathic.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20879 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:56:53 pm »
The problem with correctly adjusted Stvzo lights is that they only need to be half a degree too high and you're dazzling people, half a degree too low and you're riding into darkness on every downhill. In practice, this half degree is provided by bumps in the road. Same applies to cars as well, if not more so.

The problem with shading your light with that it's a result of having a basically inappropriate light for the situation. Also, what do you do if you want to brake or change gear, let alone indicate?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20880 on: 23 October, 2019, 08:58:56 pm »
I don't often commute via cycle as I have a company van and often start or end the day delivering parts. However due to a week off work I cycled home today and will probably cycle back in next week

It was mostly enjoyable. Vast majority of drivers gave me loads of space. Police BMW X5 could have given me more. Want a close pass but wasn't leading by example either.

Main thing though was the hideous fumes. Unfortunately a fair chunk was alongside the A12 and I could taste the fumes. Would consider some sort of mask if they work and if I did it regularly. Unfortunately at 18 miles it's a bit far if I want to see the kids in the morning or much in the evening

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20881 on: 23 October, 2019, 09:23:00 pm »
AIUI, any mask you can move enough air through to ride a bike isn't going to be suitable for filtering out motor vehicle pollution.  You're into fully enclosed with an independent air supply territory.

« Reply #20882 on: 24 October, 2019, 09:02:18 pm »
Spotted a recumbent rider on whatappeared to be a uss street machine.  I’m guessing Kim.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #20883 on: 25 October, 2019, 04:24:33 pm »
Chose not to ride across the toucan crossing on Blackheath but wait for the next cycle.

A bloke had wedged a rocket in the bin on the other side, lighting the paper just as the lights changed. He hadn't quite got across the road before it went off. At least he'd ensured all the closest traffic was stopped before the bang
Not especially helpful or mature

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20884 on: 31 October, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »
Yesterday was the first encounter with black ice this winter for me.

Got out of the saddle for a moment, and the back wheel spun out in that way it does, making you think: Bollocks!
The rest of that section was done rather gently.

The temperature profile shows that section as being -1.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2829031608

« Reply #20885 on: 01 November, 2019, 12:58:06 pm »
“Signalling!”
“Hello”
“No, signalling!”
(But ... I didn’t change lanes or turn and am not about to turn)

« Reply #20886 on: 04 November, 2019, 09:22:51 am »
Ouch!   Off again this morning.   It had been raining/drizzling earlier & everything was damp.   Coming through the shared use/pedestrian area it's a polished stone surface.  I slowed & indicated for a left turn, and as I moved the bars the front wheel just slid to the right.   Landed on my left knee  :'(

Not my bike, one of the public ones. 

No blood but it's starting to stiffen up already, so I'd anticipate limping around for the rest of the week.  I may work from home for a few days, which I don't like.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #20887 on: 06 November, 2019, 10:56:16 am »
Riding on very muddy roads on slicks is a stupid thing to do. I gave up falling off and bouncing years ago.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #20888 on: 08 November, 2019, 09:36:59 am »
Ah, the big puddle. Better slow down and get off. Oh look, the road is rather black where the cars have been sluicing through it.

A bit late. By the time those thoughts had passed through my mind, I was giddily sliding along the ground. I think I managed a good several metres of sliding across a very thick layer of black ice.

Stood up, dusted myself down, took a single step and then slipped over and landed on my arse. Then the bike fell on me. Revenge, she duly declared.

Should have stayed in bed. I only came in because I have a bloody optician's appointment.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20889 on: 13 November, 2019, 07:58:12 pm »
First Proper Icy commute of the winter here.
Had me walking a couple of times.

Time to revert to the Main Road route, which gets treated.

<eta>
If any of the drivers who passed me today had *any idea* how little grip they had, they would not have been going anywhere near so fast.
Sitting in a warm car, you are so isolated from the actual conditions outside.

« Reply #20890 on: 13 November, 2019, 08:23:34 pm »
No ice here on my return commute, but a later departure meant more cars and there was rain and sleet, it was dark and cold and I toothache flared up. Flash flooding meant that I was either riding through water or being splashed by passing cars. My hands weren’t working properly by the time I got home and I had to wait a bit before I could turn my lights off. I’ve had more enjoyable commutes.

Oh, and a confession. I passed a cyclist mending a puncture and didn’t stop to offer help - partly because I didn’t think I’d be able to, but mostly because I wanted to get home.

ian

« Reply #20891 on: 13 November, 2019, 10:20:16 pm »
Got as far as the Croydon when the rain opted to become a real and present cold wet thing. I did flirt with the idea of getting the train from South Croydon but by that time my body opined that it couldn't get any wetter, thanks. I always think I'm nearly home at that point. I'm most evidently not (two-thirds says my watch). The rain did stop the moment I reach the bottom of the drive though.

Still sore from the ice. Alas, I don't really bruise so get no sympathy. Look! What? Sigh.

(One day a car will skid on that big icy puddle and plunge onto the train passing on the tracks below and everyone will die. But I'm sure it will be someone else's fault.)

« Reply #20892 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:15:17 pm »
A burst water main created a dramatic fountain here in Salford last night. I had to ride under/through the v.heavy shower which meant I was now wet on a cold night. Happy Days! The commute home was a text book in motorists trying their hardest to have a crash by rlj/u-turning/under-taking et al. Fortunately I was just riding and observing.

« Reply #20893 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:27:59 pm »
It was a bit wet.

« Reply #20894 on: 18 November, 2019, 03:29:59 pm »
Blocked a close pass with a slightly exaggerated elbow out & mitt to nose, nose wipe.  Cars queueing in the other direction, engine note of the car behind suggested they were accelerating to pass with inadequate room. Elbow out, pass stopped.   Also blocked a traffic island close pass - but with an arm out and lane take...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20895 on: 18 November, 2019, 11:38:15 pm »
Someone did a 3 point turn on a busy road.  The annoying bit was that they had just passed a car-park they could have turned in and they were 30 secs from a roundabout.

TJG

« Reply #20896 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:42:02 pm »
I am really not sure any more if I am going to be hit from behind with an over close pass or witness a head on collision due to an impatient overtake first. I involuntarily  shut my eyes and held my breath expecting one of the latter this evening!

« Reply #20897 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:16:06 am »
First one since my op.  Felt good to be back on it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20898 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:01:06 pm »
First one since my op.  Felt good to be back on it.

:thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #20899 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:02:54 pm »
I give thanks to Mr Speedy who decided to cut inside of me as I slowed to let one of those long Volvo estates turn into a petrol station, briefly clipping my front wheel, and then spraying me in the face with dirty water as he sprinted off which meant that I spent five minutes getting grit out of my contact lenses. When I finish building my Karmic Redistribution Engine something terribly, terribly bad is going to happen to you, sir.

Then, as I descended the Hill of Doom, a scrotal strangling descent in this era of endless leaf mush my brakes start with an aguish squealing only normally heard when demons feed the souls of the damned into a paper shredder (that's mostly Wednesdays, between 7 and 8pm). This reminded me of that urgent brake block replacement chore that I abandoned a few weeks back because Nothing Was Working.

Oh it's no bad thing, I reckon I shaved a couple of grams from the titanic weight of that bloody Brompton.

Anyway, some swearing and an hour in the garden got the bloody things off, the inserts out (no, no, don't use the tip of a sharp knife, said my inner Ms Sensible, so I found something stabby in the cupboard, stuck that in the remaining rubber, selected a playlist of some the finer words of anglo-saxon heritage, and levered the fucking things out, put the new ones in, faffed about for ages lining everything up and putting everything back together, a process made more difficult by everything being practically subaqua).

I'm going to be finding grubby finger marks around the house for weeks like it's a bloody a crime scene that CSI have been over.