Author Topic: Amusing translation errors  (Read 35489 times)

Re: Amusing translation errors
« Reply #175 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:54:03 am »
At RV hire desk in Denver, at 10:30am, the German couple in front of us were asked what pick-up time they'd booked; she said "half eleven" and the receptionist gave them a look of 'why the hell are you here so early', before hubby realised and interjected "half past ten"!

For the uninitiated, the German language renders 10:30 as halb elf, 'half to eleven'.
Not just German. Norse.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #176 on: 05 October, 2023, 04:47:04 pm »
This one is a "lack of translation" error. Probably.
According to Ukraine’s former defence minister Oleksii Reznikov, drones have been vital to winning back the Black Sea. Reznikov likened the boom in indigenous drone production to the early days of Silicon Valley, when Steve Jobs built the first Apple computers in his garage. He said: “This war is the last conventional land one. The wars of the future will be hi-tech. The Black Sea is like a polygon. We’re seeing serious combat testing.”

Does "polygon" actually have this meaning in English? I'm sure I've never heard it used in a non-geometrical context. Maybe it is in use with this "firing range" or "proving ground" meaning in military jargon?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #177 on: 05 October, 2023, 04:51:40 pm »
According to Ukraine’s former defence minister Oleksii Reznikov, drones have been vital to winning back the Black Sea. Reznikov likened the boom in indigenous drone production to the early days of Silicon Valley, when Steve Jobs built the first Apple computers in his garage. He said: “This war is the last conventional land one. The wars of the future will be hi-tech. The Black Sea is like a polygon. We’re seeing serious combat testing.”

Does "polygon" actually have this meaning in English? I'm sure I've never heard it used in a non-geometrical context. Maybe it is in use with this "firing range" or "proving ground" meaning in military jargon?

Is this a reference to Soviet nuclear tests perhaps?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #178 on: 06 October, 2023, 03:21:26 pm »

Is this a reference to Soviet nuclear tests perhaps?
No. It's a reference to the new military techniques (such as naval drones) Ukraine is trying out in the Black Sea. It's a polygon (military proving ground) for them; for the Russians, it's a danger zone.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #179 on: 06 October, 2023, 08:32:33 pm »
Okay.  The only time I've encountered 'polygon' in that sort of context is the *googles* Semipalatinsk Test Site[1], but maybe it's a standard military term for firing range.

[1] Which I'm pleased to note has an area the size of Wales.  No indication if that's before or after it gets nuked.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #180 on: 07 October, 2023, 10:38:25 am »
I don't know if it's used in English-speaking military circles. I expect they say "firing range" or "testing ground" or something like that.

Okay.  The only time I've encountered 'polygon' in that sort of context is the *googles* Semipalatinsk Test Site[1], but maybe it's a standard military term for firing range.

[1] Which I'm pleased to note has an area the size of Wales.  No indication if that's before or after it gets nuked.
This is a most aexcellent factoid!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #181 on: 09 October, 2023, 11:20:13 pm »
Not really translation or error, but connected with English and another language (in this case BSL). Yesterday (Sunday) I went on a Deaf Ramble with my friend Jo, who is deaf (but not a BSL native). Needless to say, three lessons of BSL are about as good a preparation for real conversation as a Berlitz guidebook. But before that, on the way to the start of the Ramble (which was Tintern) in Jo's friend's Hattie's car, for some reason the sign for Netherlands came up; a blonde girl with plaits. I said that would have made me think Sweden – Agnetha, for instance. Imagine, dear reader, how flabbered were my ghasts to discover that said Jo's friend had no idea who Agnetha from Abba was!

Telling jokes in foreign language is famously difficult, but later I caused much amusement by simply stating a fact. Hattie was wearing a cycling cap. Said she'd found it on a wall, it must be a child's cap cos it was so small. So I demonstrated how it expanded with the elastic at the back. Oh, that's great, would I like it? offered Hattie. No thanks, said I, I already have <wave three fingers> 13 cycling caps. Cue collapse of Jo and Harriet in gales of laughter. Well, I think I can rely on you, proper forumites, to understand that 13 cycling caps, relating to various clubs, times, places, events, is perfectly normal. Isn't it?

Two of the Deaf Ramblers had come all the way from Swindon. Because, apparently, "Swindon people are horrid. Nasty, back-stabbing people." This was stated as categorically true of all Swindonians though I suppose it was really meant to apply to just the Swindon Deaf Rambling community.

And lastly, I was told today that I've been invited to the Deaf Ramblers' Christmas dinner. By one of the Andrews. There were two and I've no idea which one was which. Don't think I could understand anything either of them said.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #182 on: 10 October, 2023, 12:57:10 am »
I'm sure I'd have 13 cycling caps by now if they didn't keep committing n-1 through being shrunk to SmallestCub-size[1], chewed up by washing machines, sucked into the A38 underpass, left behind at cycling events, bombarded by ultraviolet radiation and - on at least one occasion - failed to withstand an encounter with my head.

[1] Back when he was actually small.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #183 on: 10 October, 2023, 01:06:50 am »
Okay, "failed to survive an encounter with your head" requires an explanation...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #184 on: 10 October, 2023, 01:19:12 am »
Okay, "failed to survive an encounter with your head" requires an explanation...

So does

And today I was told I've been invited to the

Buck House garden party?  White House?  Nobby & Dick's Auto Salvage (Finchley N12)’s Christmas piss-up?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #185 on: 10 October, 2023, 08:35:30 am »

So does

And today I was told I've been invited to the

Buck House garden party?  White House?  Nobby & Dick's Auto Salvage (Finchley N12)’s Christmas piss-up?
All those! Also the gathering of the Larringtonian clans, at Larrington Towers, Walthamstow, Deepest Darkest East London, tomorrow.

(It was a random part-sentence that somehow escaped from the herding of words into sentences and paragraphs, probably on account of its word-herder falling asleep. It shall be deleted. With extreme prejudice.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #186 on: 10 October, 2023, 12:38:49 pm »

You know where you put a cap on your head, and you tug it down so it's resting it the correct place and therefore securely attached?  Well, this one made a ripping noise and ended up at chin-level.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #187 on: 10 October, 2023, 12:59:25 pm »

You know where you put a cap on your head, and you tug it down so it's resting it the correct place and therefore securely attached?  Well, this one made a ripping noise and ended up at chin-level.
Whereas the Representative YACFer has short, spiky hair, which might tear a cap in a manner similar to barbed wire, in your case it must have been due to sharp brains.

You have now exhausted your compliment complement, thank you and good night.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #188 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:39:15 am »
While scrolling through messages of condolence on the page of someone called Sioned, some in Welsh and some in English, I was pressing the 'Translate' prompt to see what the Welsh ones were saying.

Imagine my surprise when I read "Sympathy to the Zionists!". Grammatical and topical, yes, but I though I must have wandered into the wrong thread. Further investigations showed "Sioned" was usually but not always translated as "Zionist(s)".
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur