Author Topic: elbow fracture - any risks if operated 10 days after the accident?  (Read 920 times)

Arno

• Arno
elbow fracture - any risks if operated 10 days after the accident?
« on: 30 September, 2014, 10:03:06 am »
After a bad fall on Tuesday last week broke hip and elbow. The hip was done 3 days after the accident.
The elbow has been put in a cast and I was told might be operated on Friday (10 days after the event) or possibly later. Bone doctor assures me this delay will not hamper chances of good recovery. There are 2 or 3 small fragments floating around on the x ray.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: elbow fracture - any risks if operated 10 days after the accident?
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:57:41 am »
We have not seen you or your X-rays.
Your doctors have.

We are not experts on these matters.
I am certainly not in any position to advise.

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:21:40 pm »
There is a certain amount of urgency with hip fractures. It is important that your immobility is not unnecessarily prolonged as you might succumb to other problems such as DVT or chest infection.

With a fracture to the elbow, this is not so critical and it might be better to wait until the swelling has gone down before operating.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:00:57 pm »
Thanks for both honest answers. They did the hip within 3 days. So can sit. Busy trauma  center.
Thought all fractures had to be reduced within 5 days ideally during a time when inflammation occurs  but this is probably untrue.