Author Topic: Metatarsal Stress Fracture.  (Read 918 times)

Jakob

Metatarsal Stress Fracture.
« on: 29 September, 2014, 11:03:21 pm »
Well, a suspected one anyway, since it didn't show up on Xray.
How long does these thing take to heal?.
It took me a month to get a rough diagnosis and my (not regular) GP, did not think further scans was necessary, but instead told me to wear a boot for 3-6 weeks. I'm now in week 4 and progress is minimal. I can not do even basic rehab exercises (towel wrapped around foot, etc) and the slightest knock in the area will be very painful.
 Before I head back to the GP again, have anyone here had 5th metatarsal factures/injuries?.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Metatarsal Stress Fracture.
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:09:23 pm »
AIUI these things take ages and most commonly affect the 2nd metatarsal (March Fracture).

They are fatigue fractures and need the cycle to be interrupted.

GWS!

Jakob

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:55:27 am »
Mine is at the head of the 5th metatarsal. My tame radiologist informs me that a Jones fracture with risk of non-union would show up on X-rays.

I couldn't see my regular GP (he was away) and the Doc that saw me has a track record (with me) to mis-diagnose injuries,(To be fair, he's been amazing with dealing with my wife's asthma/allergies). I'm tempted to go back next week to my regular GP and ask for a new Xray and/or bone scan.
Part of me wishes that it was (is?) a more serious fracture as surgery would have had me much further ahead in the rehab.
It's becoming a major inconvenience now that the weather has turned and keeping the boot dry and/or stop dragging tons of mud/dirt inside is now an issue.

Only positive is that it pretty much feels like an old-school snowboard boot, so at least I can pretend I'm preparing for the snowboard season to start. (which isn't too far away). Oh and I can still cycle, as the carbon sole in my cycling shoe keeps the foot locked off. (As long as I don't pull up too hard on it).

Anyways...mostly just whining...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:54:19 am »
Stress fractures are fine, undisplaced, almost invisible jobs that are not usually treated surgically AFAIK.

I should be VERY wary of foot surgery in general. Unless you have something BIG to correct, the risks of ending up with a sore, stiff foot for longer than with conservative treatment are quite high.