Author Topic: Possible DVT?  (Read 1144 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Possible DVT?
« on: 30 September, 2014, 11:38:47 pm »
I had a DVT about 8 months ago at the back of my right knee and I can remember the type of pain it gave me before I thought to ask Medical types about it. It was sorted with medications and injections etc.

Now to the present time:- 9/10 weeks ago I had surgery on my right foot for Tarsal/metatarsal bone fusion. First 6 weeks in a cast. saw the surgeon a fortnight ago and he gave me one of the Big orthopaedic Boots to wear, I am allowed to take it off for bed, shower and the odd general relaxation. I have pushed a bit and admit to having taken it off more than I should and have walked a bit, with a stroller/trolley, here and there. On Sunday I started to feel a pain like cramp, tender to the touch as well, in my calf on the same leg that had the foot surgery surgery. It is still as painful now, 2 days after I thought about it! I just realised it is the same sort of pain from the DVT I had in the past. Is it likely to just be my using the leg after a long period of inactivity or should I call the doctor and get checked out?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Re: Possible DVT?
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2014, 11:49:38 pm »
I think the answer always has to be call the doctor and get checked out (especially when the alternative is asking a bunch of people off the internet).
Give 'em a ring in the morning, eh.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2014, 12:13:50 am »
GET IT CHECKED! (Says the lady on the internet.)

You have multiple risk factors for DVT - previous DVT, recent surgery, immobilisation in a cast, weight.
GET IT CHECKED!

Do Not pass GO.
Do not collect £200

GET IT CHECKED!

I hope I've made myself clear.
Hope you are sorted and comfortable soon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2014, 12:15:40 am »
^ This woman on the internet knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2014, 12:28:34 am »
I just spoke on the telling bone to the lady at the local out of hours service as I went into a total panic! The doctor is getting some of my info' checked and will call me back in the next half hour or so. Looking back at my notes from the previous DVT the symptoms are pretty much one on one the same as then, right down to how it feels when I hold my foot in certain positions. Arse ::-) Looks like I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2014, 12:30:56 am »
Arse!
Get Well Soon!

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:24:46 pm »
Did they send you home from the operation with some pills to prevent a DVT?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
Watching this closely, hoping all is well, PD
It is simpler than it looks.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2014, 11:35:24 pm »
Did they send you home from the operation with some pills to prevent a DVT?

I had the self administered injections for a month or so but I think I finished them, can't find any more at home, so it looks like I'll be doing more of those. Unless it changes dramatically I am arranged for some tests Tomorrow to be sure. Looking at the way the surgical scar on my foot has turned bright purple and has what looks like a few red blobs where the screws for the plates should be I may have had a failure to fuse with the bones or pulled things so that it is all interacting.

« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2014, 07:01:29 pm »
In that case you were quite unlucky to get a DVT despite getting prophylaxis
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo