General Category > Folders

Squeaky Brompton

(1/3) > >>

quixoticgeek:

My Brompton has gone all Dutch and developed a squeak. I think it's coming from either the hinge, Bottom Bracket, or suspension block.

Before I start randomly applying oil to anything that moves, is there anything on a Brompton that would be damaged by the application of lube (aside from the obvious of handlbar grips, saddle, tyres, and brake surfaces)?

J

grams:
The suspension block is known for getting squeaky over time.

I don’t think there’s anywhere on a bike where a sensible person might consider putting grease that would cause it harm, but I’m not a mind reader.

Kim:

--- Quote from: quixoticgeek on 17 October, 2019, 02:55:01 pm ---I think it's coming from either the hinge, Bottom Bracket, or suspension block.

--- End quote ---

According to the universal law of squeaky bicycles, that means it's probably not coming from the hinge, bottom bracket or suspension block.

My favourite misdiagnosed squeak (which was happening approximately every 3 crank rotations, causing me to investigate the chain) turned out to be coming from my lungs.  Good luck!

Jurek:
Apply furniture polish, rather than grease, to the suspension block to achieve squeak-be-gone.

rogerzilla:
Remove bolt from suspension block.  Slather in silicone grease.  Refit.  It usually works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version