General Category > Folders

Inexpensive folding bike

(1/3) > >>

fimm:
Because of reasons, I am looking for a folding bike that isn't too expensive. Any suggestions? Does anyone have any experience of Decathlon folders? They look too cheap to be true, though I have read decent things about Decathlon bikes in general. Other brands to look at?

Diesel:
Yes, I've had the BTWIN Folding Bike Tilt 500 for a year or so. Basically, it's ok and I think good value.

I bought it online and had it delivered. In fact I had 2 delivered and 2 returned as both had a faulty hinge. Decathlon weren't the friendliest to deal with but they returned them free of charge with no hassle so I'll settle for that.

The third one I used click and collect. Again the hinge was poor, far too stiff to operate easily. They sorted it in store in half an hour and it's been fine since.

To ride it's fine for what it is. I've not had another folder so can't compare. I mostly use to ride to the station and around town. I've done a few 10 milers and 1 x 40 mile ride. Only had 1 puncture. Only faults have been bits coming loose and needing tightening - mudguard bolts, the hinge again and headset.

It takes up more space than some folders on the train but it's ok and I take it on at peak times.

Gear range is pretty good for most stuff. I'm happy with it for the £350 I paid.

Let me know if any specific questions

drossall:
I'd look out for a second-hand Dahon or lookalike from a reliable source. Dahon make bikes for various other brands so, if it looks like a Dahon, it usually is.

Paul H:

--- Quote from: drossall on 27 March, 2023, 06:05:59 pm ---Dahon make bikes for various other brands so, if it looks like a Dahon, it usually is.

--- End quote ---
Including most if not all of the Halfords Carrera range which come in a variety of specs.  If nothing else, for many people it'll be the easiest place to have a look and the pricing is usually competitive.

fimm:
Resurrecting this thread because I got a Carrera from Halfords which is fine* apart from the fact that the seat keeps sliding down - sometimes I have had to stop 3 times in a 15 minute journey to put it back up. The little knob on the seat post clamp is done up so tight that I can only just get the quick release to close, but that doesn't stop it slipping.

Any suggestions? Would a new seat post clamp help? (Note that I have to be able to fold it up, so anything that involves fixing the seat post permanently in place is out.)

*except the fold is terrible if you are used to a Brompton, but what did I expect?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version