General Category > Folders

Brompton rear hinge

(1/26) > >>

rogerzilla:
Anyone had their bushes replaced?  How much did you pay, and did they ream them properly?

EDIT: Cyclecare Kensington - and Purton, near Swindon - can do it for £45, assuming no serious complications, and they have the reamer.  CH White in Malmesbury don't have the tool.

Moloko:
£45?  ;D

Sod that. Looking at the replacement bush kit on SJS the bushes look like a H4 adjustable reamer size.
Which are available for £5 (the reamer that is).
A quick check anyway of the bushes with a vernier will soon reveal what reamer was needed. (it certainly won't be the one that's priced at £200.00 on SJS)   ;D ;D ;D

I'm also confident of doing a much better job anyway.  :smug:

rogerzilla:
The factory charge £65 (including the retailer's cut).  People have successfully done it using a standard reamer, but keeping the bores perfectly aligned on both sides is the tricky bit.

One day they'll wake up, smell the coffee, and use some sort of cartridge needle bearing.

Moloko:

--- Quote from: rogerzilla on 05 September, 2009, 07:13:26 pm --- but keeping the bores perfectly aligned on both sides is the tricky bit.

--- End quote ---

I'd say that only such a small amount needs taking out that it's not really an issue.

This is evident by the replacement bushes not even being solid bronze phosphor ones.
As on the SJS site.

Moloko:

--- Quote from: rogerzilla on 05 September, 2009, 07:13:26 pm ---

One day they'll wake up, smell the coffee, and use some sort of cartridge needle bearing.

--- End quote ---

;D

They're made in Great Britain.  I remember when that meant quality.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version