Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87794 times)

Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #300 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:33:58 am »
Great effort Smeth, well done!!!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #301 on: 22 June, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »
Votes for a calendar ride please  :thumbsup:
+1

I have a slight inkling of the size of the task.  Though, of course, Shawn might have cunning plans.

I'd be happy to help with the catering at a control or two.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #302 on: 22 June, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »
Respect is due Smeth :thumbsup:. Tough conditions too for the glorious British summer.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #303 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:23:52 pm »
Here's the write up. Massive brain dump, unfortunately don't have massive brain. Aim is to give info and one way of doing it to others.

https://smethblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/crackpot/

I'm hoping this'll show an average rider can do this sucker with some planning and prep. Maybe we can get a group DIY together as suggested above? Who knows if it will appear on the Calendar again? If either look like happening I thought I'd tidy and modify this and put some pics in and submit to Arrivee timed to try and encourage people to ride. There are other posts and accounts from others that might also help.

Thanks again everyone for the morale boosting posts.
DS

« Reply #304 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:30:23 pm »
Think your link is wrong.

« Reply #305 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:30:57 pm »

Smeth

« Reply #306 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »
Think your link is wrong.

They both work for me. Never blogged before so oops. I've edited the original post to give Hippy's link address. Ta.

Smeth

« Reply #307 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:41:33 pm »
More info, here's a link to my Ridewithgps.
https://ridewithgps.com/users/453518
Click ROUTES and scroll down for versions of the whole gpx and the route broken into stages. They are scattered around the list a bit. BEWARE there are distance anomalies possibly due to unnoticed backtracks in the creation.
Click RIDES for the actual ridden and tidied up track. You can see when I was losing the plot as I do mini off-courses.

Official AAA 13250m = 13.25 points

« Reply #308 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:56:05 pm »
Nice write up !

I'm sure it'll get some people out there thinking that maybe they should have a go ....

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #309 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:21:26 pm »
Very enjoyable read Smeth - I'm almost tempted to have a crack at riding it one day.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #310 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:51:20 am »
Nicely done on the write up.

I know all about the 'we' thing - I think it is definitely part of long solo riding that helps keeping you sane. Every part of my recent ride in France, I would always think as 'we', 'we need to ride another 50k before bed' etc. I find it helps. It was either that, or the shiny gold ring we found, my precious.

As a Wessex SR, I feel beholden to this ride. Some day soon.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #311 on: 30 June, 2016, 09:31:11 am »
Great read about a great ride.  Thanks Smeth, or should that be The Abbots Ann Silver Fox  :P

Smeth

« Reply #312 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:01:28 pm »
should that be The Abbots Ann Silver Fox  :P

If you've got it, either flaunt it, or take something for it ::-)

« Reply #313 on: 01 July, 2016, 09:37:16 am »
I notice in your report you said you did a lot of planning. Is it hard to find resupply points on this route or was it because you were worried about missing the time cut?
I need a replacement for the Mille Pennines next weekend when the new bike is hopefully up and running and the Crackpot might be a good test of bike and kit but wondering what more I need than a bike, the GPS track and motivation? :)

Smeth

« Reply #314 on: 01 July, 2016, 10:14:57 am »
I notice in your report you said you did a lot of planning. Is it hard to find resupply points on this route or was it because you were worried about missing the time cut?

Planning reason:
1. I enjoy it.
2. Shawn said it was a good idea.
3. Resupply is difficult especially on a Sunday.
4. I felt it was right at the limit of what I could do. Knowing what was coming up and how to pace and not panic worked for me.

I know you are pretty quick and go pretty far so just to focus first on resupply, zilch for stages 1,2 and most  of 3. Then night stages are obviously sparse. Towns are mostly avoided. Village shops have short hours. But there is stuff there. I found it before leaving.

I scanned bivvy spots on streetview.

I use gps and probably could have got hold of Jonah's track but I don't like entering a purple line tunnel with no idea what country I'm going through. I'm finding out about my own adopted part of the world hence drawing my own track, maps etc. Plus following others tracks is a risk.

It was a real help getting hold of tracks later and checking I was in the ball park. I also wanted to be as faithful to the original as possible but had to replace 8 intermediate controls that were homes or village halls.

The other bit of planning was a failed effort at looking at accomodation (village b&b and country hotels not flexible enough) so moved on to bivvy research like you've been doing..

Some of this could be changed by a change of start time but it shifts the problems.. anyway I guess reason no 1 made it enjoyable. I'm only learning this still so I've not reached the quietly confident stage yet.

Go for it.

« Reply #315 on: 01 July, 2016, 11:27:03 pm »
Really nice write up Smeth!
Very much enjoyed reading that and encourages me that one day a 'group perm' should be organised for sure!
I remember on the 2000 calendar event, literally falling asleep on the bike on descents, only to be awoken by the sudden knock of hitting a pothole on the lanes! I vividly remember forming a groupetto lead by aka 'Dr Box' - when someone complained and pleaded 'let's just stop for a 5 min kip' his replay was to just 'ride it off'... Well, it just kind of happened out that...
But we had no GPS in those days for sure!

« Reply #316 on: 09 September, 2016, 10:33:32 am »
I'm having another go - this time starting from Keynsham though, which is a lot closer to home.

So, although it's the same route, it's not an 8pm Friday night start at the BP garage on Longfleet rd. in Poole - so it's a not a real Crackpot. Let's just say it's a recce for a proper ride later on when I've got more time.

Someone else is riding it next week too I hear ...

Smeth

« Reply #317 on: 09 September, 2016, 11:15:01 am »
Sounds proper to me - You have the joy of Exmoor after many more kms.

I shared some of our info with James,one of the ACH guys - whoever is out there good luck. :thumbsup:

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #318 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:35:47 am »
Well done on completing it Smeth. :thumbsup:

It was on my roadmap in 2013 but had to be dropped due to other stuff.

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #319 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:18:10 pm »
I'm having another go - this time starting from Keynsham though, which is a lot closer to home.

So, although it's the same route, it's not an 8pm Friday night start at the BP garage on Longfleet rd. in Poole - so it's a not a real Crackpot. Let's just say it's a recce for a proper ride later on when I've got more time.

How did you do?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #320 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:28:22 pm »

How did you do?

Maybe they are still out there

« Reply #321 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »
Yes, the start dates were yesterday and tomorrow.

Go the intrepid riders!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #322 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:47:27 pm »
Is it Smeth & GPS?

« Reply #323 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:49:18 pm »
Not Smeth but Simon Till.

Smeth

« Reply #324 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:00:41 pm »
Good luck. Any help needed I'm down in the bottom right hand corner with a garage too full of bits a well supplied fridge and a spare room.