Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87772 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #250 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:50:23 pm »
(Nowhere was open in Minehead apparently at 5 a.m. on a Saturday ... unless anyone knows any different - ? )

McDonalds opens at 6am apparently.  There's nothing genuinely 24h

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #251 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:20:47 pm »
I'd be happy to pop down to Minehead or somewhere to provide a mobile control for anyone else if required on other attempts though**. (Nowhere was open in Minehead apparently at 5 a.m. on a Saturday ... unless anyone knows any different - ? ) ** Calendar & Mrs GS permitting ;-)

That is a special feature of these rides as Perms.

On the Hellfire, even if you are a moderately good climber and don't hang around,  there is nothing open on the route from Taunton Deane services until the Summer cafe in Malmesbury - that's 136km, mostly in the small hours of the morning with nothing other than the food and water you have on you.

Pretty much the same happens overnight on the Porkers with the sections from Taunton Deane down to Winterborne Whitechurch and on to Shrewton - about 130km of nothing open.

If you don't carry provisions with you, you are stuffed.

H

« Reply #252 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:05:51 am »
That is a special feature of these rides as Perms.

On the Hellfire, even if you are a moderately good climber and don't hang around,  there is nothing open on the route from Taunton Deane services until the Summer cafe in Malmesbury - that's 136km, mostly in the small hours of the morning with nothing other than the food and water you have on you.

Pretty much the same happens overnight on the Porkers with the sections from Taunton Deane down to Winterborne Whitechurch and on to Shrewton - about 130km of nothing open.

If you don't carry provisions with you, you are stuffed.

I absolutely agree. If you ride through the night, you have to be prepared.

If you eat well before you start at Poole and have gels & energy bars & 2 filled bidons, getting to Minehead (at 150K) is no problem. Getting over Exmoor without being able to top up at Minehead is more problematic. I was lucky and was able to top up with water at Tesco in Minehead because I got chatting with one of the staff who ushered me into their canteen. If it hadn't have been for that chance encounter, I'd have ridden onto Exmoor with only 3/4 of a bidon full of water - which would probably have been fine - but if I'd been on time, there would've been nothing open until well into that demanding stage. It's a delicate balancing act to get the provisions and weight right.

I carried too much last weekend which slowed me up. I'd 'over-prepared' which in fact meant I wasn't properly prepared at all - if that makes sense. Next time, I'll definitely carry less - except for water maybe ...

« Reply #253 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:48:47 am »
Keep me posted on plans about Crackpot. I'm in two minds about riding it and helping others have a go.

I'm thinking along the lines of setting up a camp in Minehead (and possibly other locations) so that I can man some controls.
You may need to chip in a few quid so we can buy a big family sized tent then I could set it up and cook some food etc.

In fact, I'm quite warming to the idea of a low mileage tour of Wessex, towing my trailer and having camping fun for a week or so.

« Reply #254 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:32:02 am »

15-17-Apr-2016?

As for the next attempt ... I'm thinking of possibly trying again at the next full moon (20th Feb).

Don't think I can postpone it because the calendar's filling up.

Turns out that Mrs S is less than enamoured with that idea ... so now I don't know when I'll be able to fit it in. Balls.  :(

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #255 on: 18 June, 2016, 11:51:48 am »
Got to go for it, never mind the forecast - my time window is running out. Longfleet Rd BP Garage tonight. If a knee-knackered hill crawler such as myself can have a bash perhaps we'll get enough interest for the man to do the thing again..... :thumbsup:

« Reply #256 on: 18 June, 2016, 12:20:38 pm »
 :thumbsup: indeed!

All the best for this.

« Reply #257 on: 18 June, 2016, 07:06:41 pm »
Got to go for it, never mind the forecast - my time window is running out. Longfleet Rd BP Garage tonight. If a knee-knackered hill crawler such as myself can have a bash perhaps we'll get enough interest for the man to do the thing again..... :thumbsup:

Perfect time to ride it. Bon route !!

« Reply #258 on: 18 June, 2016, 07:37:42 pm »
Bon route, Smeth!
Why thoughts will be with you, as I struggled 'round back in 2000, the last time it was run as a calendar event. Jus imagine navigating by only the route sheet and paper maps, 'cause that was all we had back then!

Smeth

« Reply #259 on: 18 June, 2016, 07:53:06 pm »
Cheers. I've read Georges article featuring a youthful pic of you. I have the route sheet and map but a shed load of battery life. 8 mins to kick off as I sit outside the BP garage of destiny....

« Reply #260 on: 18 June, 2016, 09:14:42 pm »
May the good weather gods be with you...!!
And if you do get a bit drowsy on the ride, just consider the advice of Dr Box 'just ride it off...' was wat we were told back in the day!

« Reply #261 on: 19 June, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »
Give us an update ??

Smeth

« Reply #262 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:56:35 pm »
Sunday 19th June.

Through Halstock. 11.25pm.  Doing OK.

Minehead. Leaving 0425. A bit of drizzle, Exmoor should be fun.

Rained all the way over the moors, mostle mizzle.  Leaving Bovey Tracey at 11.35.

6.15pm Heading for services and sleep.  About 90mins up on time.

« Reply #263 on: 20 June, 2016, 05:50:20 am »
Excellent! :thumbsup:

« Reply #264 on: 20 June, 2016, 07:29:12 am »
Excellent indeed. Ongoing supportive thoughts....

Smeth

« Reply #265 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:31:49 am »
My next bike will be a pedalo. Wells 0700. Has chucked it down - particularly last 3 hours since checked out of bus shelter.

« Reply #266 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:46:46 am »
Looks like (as you've probably seen on the radar) clear weather is now getting into the southwest, coming this way fairly fast.

(I read that as "chucked out of bus shelter".... guarded bus shelters? End of Audax as I know it?)

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #267 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:56:11 am »
Woken by the gusting coastal winds and beating rain. Forecast to be short lived and conditions to improve afternoon and early evening.  :)
Out there somewhere Smeth is facing up to an Epic route under all this. :o
Beyond Epic now . . . way beyond.  :facepalm:
We have all had this in different measure as part of Audax: some were there for the PBP and LEL of humungous drenchings a few times back: sodden 200's by the bucket load.  ::-)
Keeping going, application to task, singleminded determination, and 'it' just to carry on.  :thumbsup:
Rolling miles, grinding downs, rushing descents, punishing climbs.  8)
Positive waves of support please for our Crackpot DIY hopeful.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

« Reply #268 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:09:19 am »
Yup - had a good soaking during the 1 hour commute - Smeth must be soaked to the skin. I'm sure the hand dryers at Michaelwood services will come in handy.

At least it'll but sunny later, according to the forecast.

« Reply #269 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:12:50 am »
Eat plenty and plod on. 

Smeth

« Reply #270 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:21:18 pm »
Thanks all. It's easing off. Might get everything above the knees dry by tonight!
 Ian, ....I only do it for the gluttony.

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #271 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:22:18 pm »
Storm's abated. Rain stopped, wind died, brightening skies.  :)
Keep it going  :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #272 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:41:04 pm »
CrAcK on now matey!

« Reply #273 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:50:04 pm »
Keep on CrAck'in!!!  :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney