Author Topic: Wimbledon 2013  (Read 9531 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Wimbledon 2013
« Reply #75 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:47:08 pm »
Half of twitter is saying Andy Murray has donated his winnings to the Royal Marsden, and the other half is saying he hasn't. So, he might have, but possibly not.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 07 July, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
I read somewhere that he'd donated them to Cancer Research UK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 08 July, 2013, 01:18:00 am »
That's 2013's SPotY sorted, then.

No, the queen will win it. Tennis players only had to wait 60-odd years. The reigning monarch has never before owned the winner in a particular 207-year-old horse race whose name escapes me for a moment.

Bucket of wank, I'm afraid Wow. Google Greg Rusedski, if you have a computer.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #78 on: 08 July, 2013, 07:48:15 am »
@Wowbagger
I think you need to add Mordor to Banbury to your night ride list.
Do you mean actual Mordor, or Mordor as in Birmingham? I need to know whether to nominate this as POTD.

He definitely did for another tournament.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #79 on: 08 July, 2013, 07:56:51 am »

No, the queen will win it. Tennis players only had to wait 60-odd years. The reigning monarch has never before owned the winner in a particular 207-year-old horse race whose name escapes me for a moment.

Without googling, I would say he was Canadian, that he didn't win Wimbledon and isn't a reigning monarch. He may have owned a race horse which won an event with which I am unfamiliar. When I have found my computer I shall check my answers.

« Reply #80 on: 08 July, 2013, 08:18:43 am »
And not the only one. I see Alec Salmond has happened upon a ticket to centre court as well.

Apparently he broke Wimbledon regulations by unfurling a large flag/making political statements...   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #81 on: 08 July, 2013, 08:53:10 am »

Without googling, I would say he was Canadian, that he didn't win Wimbledon and isn't a reigning monarch. He may have owned a race horse which won an event with which I am unfamiliar. When I have found my computer I shall check my answers.

You said nothing about winning Wimbledon nor about being British. You said (and I highlighted it in bold, just in case there was any misunderstanding) 'Tennis players only had to wait 60-odd years', which is patently wrong. Feel free to admit you were wrong, if you can bring yourself to.

It is a most amazing performance by a British Scot and it is a tad demeaning to add carping nonsense to this thread. The carping should be shoved in POBI where it belongs.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #82 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:01:40 am »
And not the only one. I see Alec Salmond has happened upon a ticket to centre court as well.

Apparently he broke Wimbledon regulations by unfurling a large flag/making political statements...   ;)
'Cos a Scot celebrating a Scottish win by waving a Scottish flag is definitely a political statement.  ::-) The unionist moaning about it has been pathetic.

« Reply #83 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:26:22 am »
I liked the repeated featuring of a spectator holding up a poster saying, "Lets make history!" - which, of course, they don't, or only occasionally, anyway.  Wonder if Gove plans to include English in his curriculum shake-up, along with History?

Very pleased for Andy Murray; the score gives no indication of just how hard-fought the match was.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #84 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
Weren't there any lets in the match that helped changed the course of it?  ;D

« Reply #85 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:29:56 am »
I'm not a huge tennis fan but that was an amazing match. I think Murray might have collapsed in a pool of his own swet if he hadn't won that final game, he threw everything he had into it. He deserved the win.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #86 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:53:38 am »
He definitely did for another tournament.

He donated the ~£75,000 he won at Queens the Aegon Championship to the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity. That was the charity associated with the Aegon Championships itself. Ross Hutchins (British Tennis player and friend of Murray) was diagnosed with cancer and is receiving treatment at the Royal Marsden.

https://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013

Whether he does the same with some or all of his £1,600,000 Wimbledon winnings is another question.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #87 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:54:25 am »
Weren't there any lets in the match that helped changed the course of it?  ;D

Yes, I thought of that but I don't think it works like that in Tennis, does it?  I know it used to in Fives and Squash, but I haven't played them for ages.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #88 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:39:56 am »

And you can both google Virginia Wade.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #89 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:43:32 am »
I would, if I had a computer.

Instead I just have memories of her and Betty Stove thrashing it out in starched frocks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #90 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:53:08 am »
Rant at BBC: saw quite a bit of tennis this last two weeks and I only saw 30sec of the wheelchair tennis at the very end in a highlight program.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #91 on: 08 July, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »

'Cos a Scot celebrating a Scottish win by waving a Scottish flag is definitely a political statement.  ::-) The unionist moaning about it has been pathetic.

I think all these politicians hope that a little of the glory will somehow rub off on them and their electoral fortunes.  Frinstance, "Prime Minister David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood after winning the Wimbledon title."  BBC

Probably too POBI
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #92 on: 08 July, 2013, 01:20:24 pm »
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #93 on: 09 July, 2013, 07:31:34 am »
Small factoid: Bjorn Borg was younger than Murray is now when he won the last of his singles titles.

Where are all the young players these days?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #94 on: 09 July, 2013, 08:37:06 am »
Nadal has been winning Grand Slams since he was 21 at least - he may even be still younger than Murray - certainly not much in it.
We saw a great young talent in the Semi playing Murray didn't we?
Besides, we've been going through an era of almost unprecedented quality amongst the top four (Murray, Djoko, Nadal, Federer) which includes at least two all time greats in Nadal and Federer.  They've got a complete stranglehold over everything.   The young guns haven't much chance at the moment.
Someone will appear in time though - I wouldn't bet against Jerzy Janowicz having seen how he performed against Murray.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #95 on: 09 July, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Steve Bell is just superb.

« Reply #96 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:57:03 am »

And you can both google Virginia Wade.
And Ann Jones.

I fear Wowbagger has been guilty of sexism, assuming that only male Wimbledon singles winners count, & ignoring the two British Wimbledon singles winners in the 44 years before Mr Murray. I watched one of those finals on TV.

Five British players (including Ann Jones, & the other Murray) have also shared four Wimbledon doubles championships.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897