Author Topic: Wifi router query  (Read 4404 times)

Wifi router query
« on: 28 March, 2008, 02:22:53 pm »
Well, someone has to do the first wifi query, so why not me...

Currently at home, I have a pc and a laptop linked on a wired network to a draytek router that provides internet access, printer connection etc and all works fine.  I was thinking of adding wireless access.

I have been looking at the Netgear WGR614 wireless router.  The input for this is a ethernet-style connection, by the looks of things.  Does this mean that I can connect this input port to one of the spare LAN ports on the draytek hub and all will work?  I am aware that the draytek router currently allocates IP adresses to the machines.  Will adding a second router cause problems, or does it just need to be correctly setup to act as a passive gateway?

Any advice much appreciated

Re: Wifi router query
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:30:08 pm »
You might be able to replace the draytek with the new box. Not sure how you have your printer etc. connected to say for sure. A wireless access point would plug directly into the draytek in the way you are thinking though, that's what I have since I already had the latter before I got my router (I used a computer to route for me before then).

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »
When I looked at the box of the Netgear one, it made seemed to imply that there was no ADSL modem build in, and that a seperate one would be needed.  That is why I am wondering whether I can use my existing route for this part, and then just use the netgear one as a wireless point (in a similar set-up to which you describe).

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:47:24 pm »
Yes, I just looked at the spec for the 614, and I think it will work as you first suggested.

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2008, 02:49:13 pm »
Ta muchly

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2008, 03:17:40 pm »
No problermo. They'll be some additional config to do with two routers in the network, not sure myself exactly what though.

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »
Unlikely to work OOTB

The Draytek will be allocating addresses in the private IP range 192.168.x.y These un non-routable and presumably the Netgear will not accept such an address for the broadband input.

You may succeed by plugging the Draytek output into one of the four switch ports on the Netgear and disabling DHCP on the Netgear - you cannot have two DHCP servers on the same network.

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »
It probably will work. Most devices will accept an RFC 1918 address on any port and not moan about it. Real Internet Routers at ISPs don't route RFC 1918 addresses because someone sets up filters on them to stop it not due to any inherent restrictions in their operating system.
You will probably want to keep the DHCP server on both devices as the Netgear is a router and thus you will have a different subnet on each side of it ie your wireless network will be a different range to your wired network and so you will need two DHCP scopes. I bet your Zyxel cant handle that so instead use two DHCP server, DHCP requests dont cross routers by default anyway.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
It probably will work. Most devices will accept an RFC 1918 address on any port and not moan about it.

A case FOR shoddy firmware ?  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2008, 06:28:32 pm »
Its not shody it how they are supposed to work. You aren't always using a firewall between a private network and the Internet. It's quite common to have them between two private networks. With routers its very common to route between two rfc 1918 networks in fact more common than between an RFC 1918 and a public one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2008, 10:07:02 pm »
Yebbut, the Netgear is sold as an INTERNET router and, as such, is designed to route between public and private networks.

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:38:47 pm »
I have a couple of networks working as you describe and having tried the two routers route I would recommend just adding a wireless access point. The ones I use are Netgear WG102, theses are simply wireless access points and not routers or modems. They are simple devices with a power supply and an ethernet port. The port plugs into a spare port on your Draytek and all wireless traffic will simply routed to the Draytek via ethernet.
I have about 5 people connecting to each at any one time and they simply work perhaps requiring a reboot once a week.
AF

Lonewolff

« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2008, 05:31:24 pm »
either connect a wireless access point to your existing router or buy a new router with built in wireless to replace your current one. Running 2 routers together is possible but there is no point and in the end it will cost you more money and hassle setting it up.