Author Topic: Alpkit Numo?  (Read 6959 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Alpkit Numo?
« on: 10 May, 2011, 12:25:23 am »
Anyone tried one of these?  What's it like?

I've just acquired a Downmat, and while it is undoubtedly a thing of loveliness compared to the highly competent Alpkit Airic, we've discovered that the pump mechanism renders it fundamentally incompatible with barakta.  She lacks the wrist motion required to produce a seal with the pump, so the most effective way to inflate it seems to be to use her forearm at a funny angle, which means significant shoulder fatigue.

Given that her main priority in a mat is that it not cause undue stress on her shoulders, this renders it no better than a typical self-inflating mat.  I probably don't need to say it, but relying on someone else to pump it up when a technical solution is possible is undesirable on principle, even if it would be a practical option 90% of the time.

So the obvious alternative is something similarly thick, but inflated using Mk 1 lungs (of which, unlike myself, she has a fully functional set).  Insulation is much less of a priority compared to being lightweight and packing small - realistically it's going to be mostly used for a handful of camping trips in the summer and for sleeping on random people's floors.  Her tolerance for roughing it is far lower than mine.

ETA: Also, in the unlikely event of having to camp in cold conditions, there's no reason why a Numo couldn't be augmented with either the Airic or a closed-cell mat, both of which we already have.

So, with that in mind, something like the Numo or Synmat Basic Ultralight seems like a good approach.  I've generally been impressed with Alpkit kit, and the Numo's price is very attractive...

I assume one appropriately sized 7cm air-filled mat is pretty much the same as another in non-thermal comfort terms, or is there something I'm missing?

Re: Alpkit Numo?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:05:02 am »
I have just bought a Numo, chosen primarily for tiny pack size, light weight and fairly thick when inflated compared to other alternatives. Anything self-inflating seems to suffer from more bulk when packed.

I haven't actually used it yet, I will inflate it tomorrow and report back on what it's like to lie on!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:13:00 am »
a great mind thinks alike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:22:39 am »
Top find!  May go for one of those ourselves.  While inflating the mat isn't difficult, it can be tedious.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:48:54 am »
I've got a Numo. I've used it for wild camping a few times now and found it as good as a self-inflating mat although it's a lot smaller when deflated.

The trick seems to be to not put too much air in it or it behaves a bit like a trampoline and you bounce off it when you turn over. A bit of trial and error will soon show what's the right level of "squishiness" for yourself to be comfy but not bounce all over the place.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:57:48 am »
The Numo doesn't have any stuffing inside, which means that:

a) It will be light and pack very small

b) It will be much colder than a Downmat

I'd be cautious of any mat inflated by mouth, as the amount of condensation from your breath you put into them can degrade them very quickly.
Getting there...

PH

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:07:43 am »
The Numo doesn't have any stuffing inside, which means that:

It has some;
The upper portion of each tube is filled with a hollow fill fibre to help trap and prevent movement of air thus improving the insulation of the mat.

Nothing like as much as an Exped, but it still offers the same R value as most self inflating mats, which for many will be enough.
There is a whole load more choice than there was a few years ago, Googling for insulated air bed brings up a few I hadn't heard of.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:09:35 am »
If it does have any insulation, then that makes the damp problem even worse.
Getting there...

PH

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:12:51 am »
The trick seems to be to not put too much air in it or it behaves a bit like a trampoline and you bounce off it when you turn over.

The guide that came with the Big Agnes mat (Similar to a Synmat) said when inflated correctly you should feel the ground when you kneel on it, but not when you kneel on it and take half the weight on your arms.  The diagram made it clearer, two contact points = feel the ground.  Four contact points = off the ground.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:29:32 am »
The trick seems to be to not put too much air in it or it behaves a bit like a trampoline and you bounce off it when you turn over.

The guide that came with the Big Agnes mat (Similar to a Synmat) said when inflated correctly you should feel the ground when you kneel on it, but not when you kneel on it and take half the weight on your arms.  The diagram made it clearer, two contact points = feel the ground.  Four contact points = off the ground.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:12:47 am »
Isn't that six contact points?
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:55:44 am »
To be honest at £40 when the alternatives I was looking at were bulkier and over £100 I won't be too worried if I have to replace it every 2-3 years!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:12:59 pm »
To be honest at £40 when the alternatives I was looking at were bulkier and over £100 I won't be too worried if I have to replace it every 2-3 years!

This is my thinking too.  It's fantastically lightweight and very reasonably priced.  It's not going to get anywhere near as much use as my Downmat is, so by the time it's likely to need replacement I can see our needs may have changed.

As I say, it's about the comfort level.  I assume that as with the Downmat and anything else of similar design it's simply a function of putting the right amount of air in it, unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »
You can get a pump/pillow for Exped mats:

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/9328C7F70B6906C5C125785A00530114?opendocument

Cute, but has the same problem as the integrated pump on the Downmat: it requires that you use the palm of your hand or similar fleshy surface to form a seal round the intake valve on the compression stroke.  Neither of barakta's wrists are capable of that degree of extension, so it's a choice between feet (not easy or even practical in a tent) or forearm, which requires abduction of the shoulder that's going to cause more damage than a night on a standard Thermarest.

Obviously alternative pumps exist - a standard footpump, Cyclaire airbed inflator or bicycle powered electrical pump (idea © 2010 rower40) would work fine, but that's weight and bulk that could be avoided by use of the standard set of lungs she's already carrying.  If the mat's cheap enough that eventually going manky from damp is an acceptable consequence, that seems like a reasonable compromise.

« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »
Mine seems to be very comfy. It is fat enough inflated that when you've got enough of a surface area of yourself on it you're in no danger of bottoming out anywhere. I can lie on my side on it without a shoulder touching the ground. The air volume inside it should give reasonable thermal protection, although I will be camping in the summer probably anyway so insulation wasn't my top priority. It looks pretty good quality to me. I would certainly recommend this with the caveat I haven't spent a night on it yet!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »
Mine seems to be very comfy. It is fat enough inflated that when you've got enough of a surface area of yourself on it you're in no danger of bottoming out anywhere. I can lie on my side on it without a shoulder touching the ground.

Sounds promising, thanks!

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:54:56 am »
I got one, largely based on the comments on this thread. Took it to the MTB last weekend. How cold can it be in June? (that's rhetorical, we had snow in Glencoe two weeks ago).

Anyway, it's surprisingly good. I could sleep comfortably on my side, which is usually a big problem when I'm camping. The insulation was very good too. We hit harr at the coast where we were camping and the temperature was very low, a few degress above freezing, and the ground insulation was great.

My only small quibble came from PerkyGirl who thought it was a little narrow.

GD

it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...