Linked Events

• Ride 24 Hour Series: 06 June, 2014

Author Topic: Are you tough enough?  (Read 6305 times)

Are you tough enough?
« on: 06 November, 2013, 03:24:14 pm »
London 2 Paris 24 – 6th – 8th September – an iconic 24 hour ride

London 2 Amsterdam 24 – 19th – 21st July – a brand new challenge – through 4 countries

London 2 Land’s End 24 – 14th – 15th June – perhaps the toughest challenge of the series through fantastic scenery

London 2 Newcastle 24 – 31th – 31st August – in 2013 200 riders did it the other way round – now for the London audience!

A 24 Hour Ride is a real test of stamina, concentration and determination to keep it all going when your body is pushed to its limits; through day and night the experience is as exhilarating as it is testing! We have 4 very different challenges heading out from London in different directions - each against the 24 hour clock - each broken down into 7/8 stages of 40miles or so. Do you think you have got what it takes?

To find out more, please take a look at our website; www.ride24hr.com or call 020 7609 6695

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Are you tough enough?
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »
Just a little point. A fair number of members of this here forum have done rides lasting much longer than 24hrs. Even I as a fat unfit touring cylist have completed a 26hr ride. You may want to cut the hyporbole ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:02:36 pm »
The 'proper' way to do London - Land's End is the other way round.  The record for that is 12:01:37, set by Glen Longland.
Road Records Association - Place to Place Records

[meta]Oh dear, am I starting to sound like ESL?[/meta]

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:06:34 pm »
How did I guess that a conversation entitled "Are you tough enough?" would be met with not a little disdain around here?  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:16:15 pm »
It is standard sportive-speak. Translated to Audax terminology, it would be something like,"Enjoy the scenery of England and foreign lands...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:34:19 pm »
It is standard sportive-speak. Translated to Audax terminology, it would be something like,"Enjoy the scenery of England and foreign lands...

POTD/W/M! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:36:12 pm »
Are you tough enough?

Tough enough?  There are riders on here who eat rusty nails for breakfast and shit Brooks rivets by lunchtime...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:37:48 pm »
How did I guess that a conversation entitled "Are you tough enough?" would be met with not a little disdain around here?  ;D

Indeed.

In terms of distance, all of these are more demanding than Audax distances - 450-510km in 24 hours.

OK - supported and so on.  But these are not distances to be sniffed at.

The hyperbole is OTT - but these are not 'sponser me to ride a century' events. (and I dare say, that there are some Audaxers who wouldn't be tough fast enough for these challenges).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2013, 05:53:50 pm »
Are you tough enough?

Tough enough?  There are riders on here who eat rusty nails for breakfast and shit Brooks rivets by lunchtime...

On the go Saddle repairs R Us  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:00:59 pm »
Hang on guys, let's not start sucking each others dicks quite so soon.

This post is in the 'Cyclosportives and commercial or Charity rides' board. Not the audax board.

There are loads of posters on yacf that can barely get on a bike, let alone ride one.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:14:31 pm »

Indeed.

In terms of distance, all of these are more demanding than Audax distances - 450-510km in 24 hours.

OK - supported and so on.  But these are not distances to be sniffed at.

The hyperbole is OTT - but these are not 'sponser me to ride a century' events. (and I dare say, that there are some Audaxers who wouldn't be tough fast enough for these challenges).

The "are you tough enough?" BS is not welcome
But the organised long distance events are!

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:35:25 pm »
To answer the question, yes, I probably am tough enough but there has to be a more gripping reason to involve London in my life.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:38:31 pm »
I don't mind sportive-speak most of the time and rode the L2P24 back in 2010. A well-organised and supported event.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
Is the 31th August a special date they only get in London?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:43:50 pm »
To answer the question, yes, I probably am tough enough but there has to be a more gripping reason to involve London in my life.

;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #15 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:46:11 pm »

Err..don't you have this date in the north?

« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »
Cheers, Basil!

To be fair to Actionchallenge, I was just having a little fun.  The rides certainly look interesting and out of the ordinary.  THey also look pretty well set-up.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »

1 less day in summer - it is grim up there, in case you hadn't heard.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:57:02 pm »

Is it the day before the 1nd of September?

« Reply #19 on: 06 November, 2013, 06:57:43 pm »

No, more likely they've only got 3 fingers

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ma0D-fN38&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp6Ma0D-fN38

« Reply #20 on: 06 November, 2013, 11:40:55 pm »
Well, I think that the tough 24 hour cyclists will be missing the Land's End and Amsterdam rides because they will be either riding a 24 hour TT that weekend, or maybe preparing to ride a 24 hour TT.

London to LE looks good. The A30 with a headwind could be very tough going. Like a 500km Easter Arrow but with some hills thrown in. If it wasn't for the 24 hour TTs, I'd be very tempted by that.

Amsterdam looks iffy becaus it looks like a lot of ferry crossings which could eat up cycling time, so Amsterdam could be the toughest challenge with bad ferry luck and headwinds. I wouldn't want to fail a challenge because of that kind of bad luck.

Paris doesn't inspire me very much and neither does Newcastle.

Shame. I've heard good things about these rides...

« Reply #21 on: 06 November, 2013, 11:47:52 pm »

No, more likely they've only got 3 fingers

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ma0D-fN38&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp6Ma0D-fN38

If anyone's still struggling, it's in the suffix!

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2013, 12:01:09 am »

This post is in the 'Cyclosportives and commercial or Charity rides' board. Not the audax board.

There are loads of posters on yacf that can barely get on a bike, let alone ride one.

Masters, my little shiny Movers inform me that this post was moved here by little rhythmic twitches in their fingers. I am able to provide proper confirmation of this claim by looking into the ship's logs.

Moved "Are you tough enough?" from "The Knowledge" to "Cyclosportives and commercial or charity rides"

It may be, Masters, that William Action Challenge desired deeper knowledge of your toughness, but on the other hand, it may be that firing aimlessly and forgetting is what excites him.

May I proudly state that whilst I can barely get onto a bike, I do pass rivets after breakfast.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2013, 07:55:47 am »

Absolutely.

I rode Lands End to London (~500k) in less than 24 hours earlier this year with non-Audax chums and despite a tail wind throughout along the A30/old A30, can confirm it was something of a challenge. Riding it against the prevailing wind (for that time of year) would be even more of a challenge.

I have never ridden the London to Paris 24hr but know from people who have that it is not a distance/time to be sniffed at.

In addition, as much as I like the understated nature of Audax, with respect to the language used to advertise the events in the OP  I doubt low attendance will be a worry for the organiser(s) of these 4 events.

H