Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1629332 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5075 on: 27 July, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »
I went to book a ticket to see Slint in Leeds, but they were sold out.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5076 on: 27 July, 2014, 06:58:24 pm »
You have my sympathy, Mr B.  I have seen Slint and they are teh Aces.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5077 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »
Why do pensioners, who have all week to shop and drink coffee , all seem to appear at the weekend?
Arriving ( on the bike) at a garden centre at 11'ish this morning, there were 5  senior couples in the cafe queue ahead of us .
I can't believe that they all needed coffee and cake to give them sufficient energy to walk round said garden centre, perusing the tat.
Ermm, isn't that verging on the clarksonesque?  Mebbe not quite so overt as his anti-cyclist/caravanner/{current target of ridicule} comments, but still shades of, "Who do these people think they are? Getting in my way all the time." 

Remember we're _cyclists_, we're _better_ and _nicer_ than everybody else. See that moral high ground? That's ours that is.  :)

If it's any consolation I own a caravan as well. This is the grumble thread y,know.
Sooo sorry if you are offended , but just needed to get it off my chest.
There really was no-one else except pensioners in the queue . I know I will be there one day, that's the real worry.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5078 on: 27 July, 2014, 09:31:05 pm »
Sorry Mad cow, my previous response failed to exhibit "being excellent". 
My wife is constantly having to say " Please excuse my husband's sledgehammer wit", if that is any consolation.
 :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5079 on: 27 July, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
Some noisy twat has just let a load of fireworks off.  Which has woken all the bloody seagulls on our flat roof up  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5080 on: 27 July, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »
Some noisy twat has just let a load of fireworks off.  Which has woken all the bloody seagulls on our flat roof up  >:(

While I'm all for giving seagulls a taste of their own medicine wrt noise pollution, it doesn't seem worth the collateral damage.

And besides, Didcot was the place to be for fireworks this weekend.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5081 on: 27 July, 2014, 10:33:49 pm »

Eid Mubarak!

« Reply #5082 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:01:04 pm »

Eid Mubarak!

Tomorrow I think ?   And I'd expect more fireworks around here if that was the case.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5083 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:09:08 pm »
You have my sympathy, Mr B.  I have seen Slint and they are teh Aces.

Don't rub it in Mr L!

« Reply #5084 on: 28 July, 2014, 10:23:02 am »
I discovered some giant hogweed on Sunday.

Cycling into work, I forgot to cover up the evidence of my discovery. There is a 1/4" of hydrocortizone cream on my leg now.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5085 on: 28 July, 2014, 12:36:24 pm »
Oddly enough, I've just finished covering my feet in the metric equivalent.

Bloody midges.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5086 on: 28 July, 2014, 12:47:22 pm »
Oddly enough, I've just finished covering my feet in the metric equivalent.

Bloody midges.

You poo hydrocortizone?

:o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5087 on: 28 July, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »
I don't know.  Spend a weekend in Didcot and when you come back the forum's obsessed with poo...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5088 on: 28 July, 2014, 05:15:28 pm »
I don't know.  Spend a weekend in Didcot and when you come back the forum's obsessed with poo...
It's nice to find nothing's changed.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5089 on: 28 July, 2014, 09:58:00 pm »
Triffids.  They just keep growing back, like those skellingtons in Jason and the Argonauts.

Gardening, that was a mistake.  At least without full biosafety level 3 protection.

So not only do I have the usual wheezing and vibration-induced finger numbness, and a nasty sting on my arm from fettling the strimmer's dodgy feed mechanism (which was covered in fresh nettle pulp), but my right eyelid is swelling up and the surrounding area of my face is tingling.  Must have got an angry insect or a bit of Green Stuff in my eye.

ETA: The swelling's starting to interfere with my vision.  Going to bed in the hope it sorts itself out by morning.

« Reply #5090 on: 29 July, 2014, 10:26:19 am »
Think of nettle stings as homeopathy-if it doesn't kill you it can only make you stronger.
Failing that use glyphosate and teach the nettles a real lesson.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5091 on: 29 July, 2014, 10:58:13 am »
My view of gardening is that you need two tools. A hedge trimmer for anything above ground level and a rotary mower with collecting box for everything at ground level.
First use the trimmer to take down hedges, bushes, trimming trees. Allow clippings to fall to the floor. Then mow the area. The mower will chop up the trimmings from hedges, bushes and trees collect them up and allow for easy transfer into black sack, green bins or compost heap (not sure what this is for though - feeding the plants has no future).
I actually have a weed lawn. We cleared all the difficult to maintain shrubs and whilst waiting for me to arrange repairs on the window frame (still waiting!) allowed nature to take its course. Now I just run the mower over it every couple of weeks and it looks not too untidy. I wouldn't walk over it barefotted though.
Putting the mower on its lowest setting and going over the weeds on the paths gives nice green borders to the paving slabs.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5092 on: 29 July, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »
That's basically my philosophy too, except that the ground is too three-dimensional for a mower, so I use a strimmer.

The problem is that every time I do gardening I end up with some sort of injury/allergy that incapacitates me for days.

That's with me making a conscious effort to hold the eye open, it wants to stay mostly closed, so I just some blurred peripheral vision (though works okay if I manually hold the eyelids out of the way, so I'm not too concerned).  I'm looking forward to some sort of secondary injury caused by lack of depth perception before the swelling goes down.  It's my dominant eye, so reading is hard work.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5093 on: 29 July, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »
Ouch. GWS.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #5094 on: 29 July, 2014, 12:54:37 pm »
I think you need one of those full-face masks that chainsaw operators use. Or a rebreather kit
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5095 on: 29 July, 2014, 06:48:06 pm »
That's not a good look.  GWS ,  and pass the time molishing a flamethrower to deal with the triffids.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5096 on: 29 July, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
Two counters open at the post office. Both blocked by idiots who had turned up to send parcels but hadn't thought of some basic preparation such as packing whatever it was they were sending, having tape to wrap up the boxes, writing the address on the label.....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5097 on: 29 July, 2014, 07:55:15 pm »
Kim, I think you need one of these....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5098 on: 29 July, 2014, 07:59:40 pm »
Doesn't look much cop against brambles, thobut.  Reckon I need something in the Gordon Freeman style.  Couple of whacks with a crowbar and finish them off with the magnum should show the weeds who's boss.  It always worked against headcrabs.

Or just take off and glyphosate the lot from orbit...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5099 on: 29 July, 2014, 08:02:27 pm »
You need an EldestCub.  Wivva stick.