Author Topic: what is this if anything.  (Read 2297 times)

what is this if anything.
« on: 25 January, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »
Not sure if this is in the correct section but at least we have organisers here.
The motorcycle world has navigational scatter rallys. Basically a treasure hunt. A widely spread set of points to visit with some way of proving your attendance there eg a question. You have the choice of route and this is where it differs from an Audax  etc
anyway does this sort of thing exist in a cycling version.  Its about smart naviagation and route choosing and deciding to go for a few far away points with high value or lots of low value ones.
Just realised that the Polaris events are just that but off road. What about road versions?

Re: what is this if anything.
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »
Derwent Valley Cycling Club used to run summer evening events based on this principle, but no mention of them on the revamped 2010 website now. Maybe they will re-appear later in the year.

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:53:45 pm »
Correction - its here .... Derwent Valley Cycling Club ....Lane quests

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:02:39 pm »
I've run a few around London in the past. They involve a lot of work to organise but (if the participants are to be believed) are great fun. 

Maybe a YACF one in the summer?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »
Did that sort of thing with the CTC a while back.  Two hours to get around as many checkpoints as possible.  The further, or hillier, locations were awarded more points with points deducted for time taken over the 2 hours.  Route planning before starting out was certainly an advantage as there was no way of visiting all of the locations within the time, although raw speed helped as well.  Approaching the finish I had to make the judgement as to whether I had enough time to ride the couple of miles out to the last checkpoint which I was keeping up my sleeve.  I did, as it happened, and finished with a couple of minutes to spare.

All round good fun, and to do well you don't just need to ride fast but think about your route and speed, even if you are riding in your own backyard.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2010, 10:20:31 am »
Many alleycats (bike messenger races) are run on a similar basis.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2010, 11:14:08 am »
Orienteering does this -- score event -- time limit - different points values for controls - heavy points deduction for over time limit.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

plug

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:24:28 pm »
After last year's 24h I recall some discussion of a "variable length" audax. I love the idea of a fixed time event - it is much more inclusive.

You could run an Audax on a sort of "ladder" route - you all set off on the same route, then as the clock nears the half-way mark, you head off to the return route. You could still have prizes for furthest distance, but all participants would have a good day out. And a much more sociable finish.

[I prefer to spend my time pedalling (or eating) than staring at maps and hunting for clues.]

Of course the Arrows are a similar idea, except that you declare your distance in advance, and each team rides a different route.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:25:42 pm »
The ctc British cycle quest is quite good to get you out to different places and reading maps to navigate.  You get os grid references for the places you have to ride to. CTC Homepage - CTC the UK's national cyclists' organisation
I discovered that I'd been riding past the last resting place of Richard 111 for years and had no idea + you have no time limits to complete the quest  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.