Author Topic: The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride  (Read 8521 times)

The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride
« on: 05 June, 2013, 12:56:09 am »
Aimed especially at LELers, I am running on July 6th the 300K Rutland Weekend from Baldock to, and slightly beyond, Rutland. Run a couple of years ago as a PBP tune-up, I will be repeating it this year. Three weeks before the big event, it is a chance to get in a hopefully pacey training ride and a good chance to test the exact rig you’ll be taking LEL. Of course non-LELers are also welcome.

It’s a basic event as I plan on riding it myself on the day, so the Arrivee is catch me in the pub/post the brevet back. It starts from the station at Baldock at a time that is reasonably handy for rail travellers and the trains from Baldock run till pretty late, engineering works permitting. More details of the ride at tinyurl.com/k2afkvu, online entry at a mere £3.50 at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-209/

I’v created a separate thread in the Sportive and Charity ride forum, but would like to add that on June 22nd, clubmate PBP ancien, Tony Willard, who’s daughter has recently had breast cancer, is organising two fifty mile loops near (not in!) Basingstoke – which can be combined into a 100 mile event. The event is Audax-style for Breast Cancer Care but not an AUK ride – see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=72497.0
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: The 300K Rutland Weekend 2013 - an LEL buildup ride
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:49:29 pm »
Hmm, conveniently close to home and conveniently not-too-close to LEL, a full day's riding, sounds ideal, you've got me thinking ... Hereward the Wake 300 the following weekend and a two-week gap to LEL – given the last two months' riding, that sounds like tapering to me  :facepalm:

Anyone else?
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2013, 03:28:13 pm »
Hmm, conveniently close to home and conveniently not-too-close to LEL, a full day's riding, sounds ideal, you've got me thinking ... Hereward the Wake 300 the following weekend and a two-week gap to LEL – given the last two months' riding, that sounds like tapering to me  :facepalm:

That ^, pretty much. We might ride out to one or the other, depending on Other ThingsTM, who have been criminally neglected this year.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2013, 08:55:13 pm »

Anyone else?

Did it two years ago. Don't think you'd be disappointed! Convenient train ride down to the start from Cambridge. Good-sized field (but then it was BPB year). Nice route on roads not visited by any of the East Anglia Audaxes afaik. Good caff controls. A couple of chevron climbs (not long but intense). Interesting section with unusual scenery around Rutland Water. And on that day excellent arrivee at a pub close to the train station, where Ian had arranged great value filled baguettes for the riders to buy if they wanted to stay around for a while. But even if the pub finish wouldn't happen still a great ride. Haven't decided yet but will try to make it.

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
Did a routecheck of half the ride yesterday. Had forgotten how quiet and well-surfaced most of the roads on it are.

Spotted Red Kites ( or was it one following me spotted more than once?) north of Kings Cliffe. Further away from where they got released in the Chilterns than I have seen before.

While on the subject of spotting things - noticed a sex shop on the way into Sawtry sandwiched between that road and the A1M? IIRC there's a couple further south on the A1. What is with the A! and sex shops?
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2013, 11:40:24 pm »
While on the subject of spotting things - noticed a sex shop on the way into Sawtry sandwiched between that road and the A1M? IIRC there's a couple further south on the A1. What is with the A! and sex shops?

They are not your controls are they, get a receipt....?

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2013, 11:42:43 pm »

They are not your controls are they, get a receipt....?

;D Nah! Dont open early enough

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2013, 09:59:45 am »
Did a routecheck of half the ride yesterday. Had forgotten how quiet and well-surfaced most of the roads on it are.

Spotted Red Kites ( or was it one following me spotted more than once?) north of Kings Cliffe. Further away from where they got released in the Chilterns than I have seen before.

Can't comment on the sex shops, but there were kites reintroduced at Rockingham (by Corby) which are spreading too, so it will be these rather than Chiltern kites.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2013, 11:58:39 am »
Quite an audax day for sleepy old Oundle then, I'll be riding the Reservoir Single on this day.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:06:05 am »

Mostly out of curiosity, is this ride suitable as a first 300? I'm looking at events nearish to home that aren't too hilly and this one looks like it might fit the bill.

I've got a 200 the weekend before and probably a 100 DIY a couple of days after the 200 (gotta get back home, and don't fancy ECEing a 200 into a 300 just yet) so a lot will depend how my legs are (I'm not remotely in LEL shape!), but keen to attempt a 300.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2013, 12:56:56 pm »

Mostly out of curiosity, is this ride suitable as a first 300? I'm looking at events nearish to home that aren't too hilly and this one looks like it might fit the bill.

Yes, it's pretty flat north of Baldock up to the Fens, just watch out if the wind is blowing. It's very local to me but I'm off to the Alps this weekend.

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:05:25 pm »

I've got a 200 the weekend before and probably a 100 DIY a couple of days after the 200 (gotta get back home, and don't fancy ECEing a 200 into a 300 just yet) so a lot will depend how my legs are (I'm not remotely in LEL shape!), but keen to attempt a 300.
Organiser here...

I would say so - it actually has less climbing than shown on the AUK site and is pretty flat south of Oundle, it has a few more hills to the north, but nothing too bad. Roads are mainly quiet and smooth and there are several points to catch a train back if it turns out to be too much.

If you follow the link to http://iansaudax.blogspot.co.uk/ there is more info.

The only thing I would say is if you need to get back by train to London, you will need to be finished by about 11:30pm.

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:08:04 pm »
Just sent the routesheets etc. out. Only trivial changes from last time. Lets hope we have the near perfect weather of last time!

Have a good number of entries for a basic event, but can still take plenty more!

« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:57:46 pm »
I might have a crack at this as part of my tapering for LEL, it will also serve as a good 300k towards an SR.

Am i allowed to use it as a taper ride  ;) ?

I should add it goes close to my home nr Belvoir, so i could pop home for a bit of nosh!

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:44:06 pm »

Organiser here...

I would say so - it actually has less climbing than shown on the AUK site and is pretty flat south of Oundle, it has a few more hills to the north, but nothing too bad. Roads are mainly quiet and smooth and there are several points to catch a train back if it turns out to be too much.

If you follow the link to http://iansaudax.blogspot.co.uk/ there is more info.

The only thing I would say is if you need to get back by train to London, you will need to be finished by about 11:30pm.

Thanks - I see on the calendar it's listed as having something like 2500m of climbing - I've done 200s with that much climbing and come in within a reasonable time so assuming the extra distance doesn't do me in (no specific reason to believe it should) I should be OK.

Just need to see how my legs are doing after a 200 and a 100 a few days apart and a few days before the 300.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2013, 08:23:50 am »
Informal Arrivee (you can just head off if you like and post in your brevet) will be The Orange Tree pub in Baldock. The Landlord said he'd serve food late and it  stays open to 01:30 last orders if there's enough trade.

Food, Real Ale, ancient interior, beer garden if the weather is good. What's not to like?

« Reply #16 on: 27 June, 2013, 09:13:41 am »
Food, Real Ale, ancient interior, beer garden if the weather is good. What's not to like?

Baldock. Only joking, it just invokes childhood memories of going to the huge Tesco there.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #17 on: 27 June, 2013, 03:11:42 pm »
I'm going to do this as part of my last big weekend before LEL.  This on Saturday and then the Garboldisham Groveller 200 on Sunday.

I'm planning to stay at Radwell Lake campsite on Saturday night, but have just recieved info from them that says "Please note that we have nice, clean toilets, but no hot water".  A freezing cold wash/shower after a 300 will make up for any lack of rain in trying to reproduce the spirit of LEL 2009.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2013, 05:03:00 pm »
entered, also booked the train ticket arriving at 06:54. really enjoyed it last time - smooth roads and the right amount of hills.

« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2013, 05:12:36 pm »
I'm going to do this as part of my last big weekend before LEL.  This on Saturday and then the Garboldisham Groveller 200 on Sunday.

I'm planning to stay at Radwell Lake campsite on Saturday night, but have just recieved info from them that says "Please note that we have nice, clean toilets, but no hot water".  A freezing cold wash/shower after a 300 will make up for any lack of rain in trying to reproduce the spirit of LEL 2009.

It's a shame I'm moved, you could've camped & used a hot shower in the clearing. No camping in the brewery yard though, sorry.
/no help at all.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #20 on: 28 June, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »
Have entered this to keep RRTY alive - but not riding LEL this time due to work deadlines.

''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »
I am in for this - will be once the AUK website comes back up anyway.

Looks like a nice route for sure.

I'll do the train thing and hope I get around in time for the last train.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2013, 05:39:01 pm »
I'm in!

I hope my thighs and knees recover from the 600k finished today.

Also have to some serious mechanical tinkering with my orange blob!

« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »
"It's now or never" as the King said.

I will be tied up tomorrow evening, so will close out entries late this evening. So if you'd like a 300K in what looks like spiffing weather, now's the time to say "yes!!".

« Reply #24 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:11:32 pm »
I'd hoped to ride this one but just can't. I live close to bottesford though and plan to be out for a short ride over the week end, usual weekend loop when im at home is out to oakham a d dropping back in via bottesford. what time do people expect to be in the area and what's the route in to bottesford?